Unbalanced Stereo Sum/Combine Question

T

The Ugster

Audiophyte
Greetings all!

I've put together a podcasting setup with the desire to separate all participants to their own channels. I use Source Connect Now for remote participants and have four PCs connected, each with all but one of those participants muted. Those PC outputs are then fed to a Tascam US-1200 USB Interface, which I record on another PC.

My issue is that the PCs are outputting an unbalanced stereo signal from their 3.5mm rear jack, and the Tascam has balanced XLR inputs with variable gain. I'd like to achieve a 'safe' stereo sum from each PC. I've read the "Why Note Wye?" article half a dozen times and am still coming up a bit short. Right now I have the right channel cut and Pin 3 on my XLR cables grounded. While this works, I have to be very careful of my PC volume levels, and of course this is only the left channel from each PC.

For the life of me, I cannot find a simple "stereo combiner" that does what I need here. Is this truly a case of "DIY it, dummy!" or am I overlooking something obvious?

Thanks so much for your time!

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
For the life of me, I cannot find a simple "stereo combiner" that does what I need here. Is this truly a case of "DIY it, dummy!" or am I overlooking something obvious?
Lol. That Tascam is intended to receive direct XLR connection from microphones, not PCs, although by not overdriving the PC volume, (since the Tascam has its own gain) you can make it work, which is your DIY solution.

So therefore if this is a 'problem' you're going to need to accept that good recording costs money, and need to invest in proper mics and equipment. Otherwise stick with what you've got!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis