Unable to hear sound using an Optical audio cable.

A

apoorvasheth

Audioholic Intern
Hello All,

I have connected my Yamaha RX-V685 to SONY OLELD A80L via an optical cable.

I tried out all the inputs such as Audio1 to Audio 5 & AV1 to AV2 on this RX-V685 A/V receiver but, the JBL 630 doesn’t output sound.

In Sony A80L TV settings, Audio System is selected, & tried Digital Audio out to Auto 1, Auto 2 & PCM, turned off eArc mode, tried everything but none works.

Also changed settings in TV from Dolby Digital Plus to Dolby Digital but to no go.

The optical cable does show red laser light.

I tried both optical audio input jacks at the back of the amp but still no go.

Only one change I did is that I unplugged HDMI cable from the HDMI 3 port of Sony TV which is an eArc port & connected it into the HDMI 4 port.

Kindly help.

Regards,
Apoorva.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Hello All,

I tried out all the inputs such as Audio1 to Audio 5 & AV1 to AV2 on this RX-V685 A/V receiver but, the JBL 630 doesn’t output sound.

In Sony A80L TV settings, Audio System is selected, & tried Digital Audio out to Auto 1, Auto 2 & PCM, turned off eArc mode, tried everything but none works.

Also changed settings in TV from Dolby Digital Plus to Dolby Digital but to no go.

Only one change I did is that I unplugged HDMI cable from the HDMI 3 port of Sony TV which is an eArc port & connected it into the HDMI 4 port.

Kindly help.

Regards,
Apoorva.
ALL AVRs and processors prioritize the signal with HDMI first, then anything else comes after. You'll need to turn off any settings for audio in the HDMI section of the setup menu and anywhere else it would apply.

A

apoorvasheth

Audioholic Intern
ALL AVRs and processors prioritize the signal with HDMI first, then anything else comes after. You'll need to turn off any settings for audio in the HDMI section of the setup menu and anywhere else it would apply.
Actually, I disconnected the HDMI cable from HDMI 3 which is an eArc port & connected back into HDMI 4 port which doesn’t transmit audio but I wonder why the Optical is not able to send audio signals to my amp or some settings somewhere with in my TV or this Amp is incorrect b’coz of which, the sound isn’t being heard.

One more thing, I noticed that since my JBL Studio 630 supports 6 Ohms so, I change the impedance settings in Yamaha RX-V685 from 8 Ohms to 6 Ohms. Can it make a big difference in the detailing of the sound quality output?

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Spartan
Hello All,

Kindly help.

Regards,
Apoorva.
If you want to use Dolby Digital 5.1 using an OPTICAL connection, turn ARC OFF in the Yamaha settings and connect to the AUDIO 1 (7 TV) OPTICAL port. Select Dolby Digital for output in the Sony TV.

If you want access to Atmos/DD+ from the Sony TV’s Smart apps, you will need to use ARC. The Yamaha supports ARC but not eARC. To use it, connect to the Sony TV’s HDMI 3(eARC) port from the Yamaha’s HDMI OUT 1(ARC) port. Turn HDMI Control ON in the Yamaha and the Sony TV(Bravia Sync). Turn ARC ON in the Yamaha but turn eARC OFF in the Sony TV. Select Dolby Digital Plus for output over ARC in the Sony TV.

ARC has less bandwidth available to it compared to eARC and needs HDMI Control ON in both the TV and receiver to work. Turning eARC ON when a receiver only supports ARC can result in no audio output or a re encode of the signal by the TV that can result in picture and sound sync issues.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Actually, I disconnected the HDMI cable from HDMI 3 which is an eArc port & connected back into HDMI 4 port which doesn’t transmit audio but I wonder why the Optical is not able to send audio signals to my amp or some settings somewhere with in my TV or this Amp is incorrect b’coz of which, the sound isn’t being heard.

One more thing, I noticed that since my JBL Studio 630 supports 6 Ohms so, I change the impedance settings in Yamaha RX-V685 from 8 Ohms to 6 Ohms. Can it make a big difference in the detailing of the sound quality output?
The impedance setting won't affect sound quality, aside from limiting output during high demand sections in the program. AH has an article about that setting.

Did you set the audio for the input being used for the TV sound to optical? You need to do that.

Connect the Yamaha to the network, preferably with an ethernet cable, find its IP address, open the browser in a computer and after entering the AVR's IP address, add /setup to see the full menu without needing to use the on screen or front of the AVR- it makes setup much easier and uses tabs to reveal different pages.

A

apoorvasheth

Audioholic Intern
The impedance setting won't affect sound quality, aside from limiting output during high demand sections in the program. AH has an article about that setting.

Did you set the audio for the input being used for the TV sound to optical? You need to do that.

Connect the Yamaha to the network, preferably with an ethernet cable, find its IP address, open the browser in a computer and after entering the AVR's IP address, add /setup to see the full menu without needing to use the on screen or front of the AVR- it makes setup much easier and uses tabs to reveal different pages.
Hello, thanks for your response. I thought changing the impedance will pass high current to the connected speakers for them to output best sound quality as these pair of JBL Studio 630s does support it.

There is no such option in SONY A80L to select Optical. All it has is Audio 1, Audio 2 & PCM. And Dolby Digital or Dolby Digital Plus & eArc either Off to Auto.

Unfortunately, I don’t have such long Ethernet cable but I am still fine with the on-screen menu options which Yamaha has made it quite user friendly.

Surprisingly, I saw a firmware update available today when I entered the setup option of this Yamaha amp. Bought way back in Sept 2018, till today the company offers firmware update support which is quite nice.

Now some audio dealer suggest that I should upgrade this old A/V Receiver to either Denon or Marantz Cinema 50 while another one who deals into speaker Floorstand said these Yamaha, Denon, Marantz all come in same range & are below average products when compared to NAD Power Amps when as he himself uses it while a 3rd person said this afternoon that there is absolutely no need to upgrade this present amp b’coz it is highly capable to drive these pair of JBL Studio 630 bookshelf speakers while he also agreed that I need to upgrade my existing HDMI Cable to the one that supports 4K, 8K and 48 Gigabits to get premium sound quality output.

Now in terms of an HDMI Cable, one audio dealer suggest me ProfiGold while other said that Profigold has become kind of an ordinary now & there are much better ones.

It’s all so very much confusing. I don’t known when shall I be able to achieve the best sound experience. I am also planning for an Emotiva Airmotiv XA2 - Two for Front Heights & Two for Surround Heights but then it’s a living room with a viewing distance from TV to seating position being of 12 feet, I feel too many speakers will just make lots of noise rather than experiencing the real sound effects, the purpose for which it will be purchased. It’s not a proper cinema room.

Also one audio dealer said the distance between both the bookshelf speakers is very less & I won’t be able to experience the best of the sound quality from these bookshelves then no matter how much expensive amp they are connected to. But the problem is that to the right is door opening & to the left is Dining table so where to place these pair of bookshelves to create an equal far distance between them?

Regards,
Apoorva.

Attachments

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Sounds like you should stop listening to your "dealer".

A

apoorvasheth

Audioholic Intern
Hello All,

Can someone kindly suggest me a very good UPS & Stabilzer please? Also, is it good to use both of them or buying any of them will protect my Marantz Cinema 50 amp or any other amp that I’ll upgrade to & my SONY OLED TV?

Also can a very good ear height level Floorstand be suggested for the Surround speakers. I am planning for JBL Studio 610.

And how reliable are these JBL Studio 600 series speakers in terms of its long term performance & reliability as they have offered me 5 years warranty.

Regards,
Apoorva.

Attachments

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis