UN-Official Formula 1 Thread

annunaki

annunaki

Fia Sucks!

Well I think the FIA may be trying to drive the fans from supporting F1. They have entered a tender for a homogulated engine design. The worst part is that it has to last for HALF the season. This is ridiculous. I DON'T want OPEN WHEEL NASCRAP ON A ROAD COURSE. That is what the IRL is.

I love F1 because there was nothing else like it.

Now I am going to lose some interest with nothing else to gravitate towards. LMP cars don't do it for me.

What is the point of having KERS for one season? This is freakin' pointless.

OPEN UP THE RULES TO ALLOW INNOVATION for road cars. That is what the manufacturers really want it for.

I guess I will have to go back into military tech to get my fix on engineering envelope pushing.

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
hummmm..................................:(

While I agree that costs need to be controlled for the good of the sport this standardized engine/trans. idea takes away alot of the allure from a technology stand point. I would rather see a standard chassis that every team uses...that makes more sense to me...just make it so they can build their own suspension pieces and wing assemblies.

What I don't get is how are teams supposed to save money when the rules change every year?

As far as competition goes...the only thing in my mind that will make for better racing is better tracks. There is nowhere to pass.

SBF1

S

sploo

Full Audioholic
It seems Ferrari are opposed to the engine proposals: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/7694009.stm

I too would like to see less meddling of the rules, though just imagine what the sport would be like without some of the interference - movable aero, 2000bhp+ engines, top speeds probably approaching 300mph, lots of business for undertakers... :p

annunaki

annunaki

Good on them!

It was great to see this.

It appears today that the FIA is clarifying their point now and even back tracking a bit.

I hope Massa can pull this out and get a championship this weekend. Can you imagine the crowd if it happens at home in front of the Brazillian faithful!!!

Look how crazy they went when he won there in '06!

He will need some luck though. Hamilton will probably break down completely if he cannot pull it out this year. 1st corner incident? Fernando & Hamilton? miracle?

majorloser

majorloser

I think it'll take a total disaster for Hamilton to blow the championship.

Granted, I'd still like to see Massa win. :cool:

S

sploo

Full Audioholic
Well, as a Brit I'm hoping Hamilton does it, but I do have mixed feelings about the season.

If it wasn't for engine failures and pit problems (i.e. stuff out of his control) then Massa would probably have enough points for the title already.

However, he didn't really deserve the victory handed to him at Spa (either Hamilton or Raikkonen would've been a worthy winner). Plus the extra point he gained in Japan (with Bourdais being penalised) still mystifies me.

Hamilton has seemed intent on self destruction a couple of times this year, and just can't keep his head when it matters. Yet, I do believe he's the better racer of the two (Massa never strikes me as the kind of guy capable of scything through traffic like a Schumacher, Alonso, or even a Hamilton).

Kubica has impressed me the most this season, though hats off for Alonso for making the most of his car recently.

As for winning the title, it seems to me that McLaren should just fuel their guys really light for qualifying; in the hope of locking out the front row. Cross fingers they get away safely, then compromise even further by trying to ensure Hamilton comes out of pit stops in clear air (even if that means bringing him in really early). You're going to lose places doing that, but trailing home in fifth, having protected the car, is better than going out in a ball of flames and losing the title.

I just hope that other drivers (that's you Fernando) let the guys fight it out without interference.

Prediction for the weekend: Hamilton does a crazy start, causing a massive pile up. Stewards give him a penalty and he ends up at the back of the pack. A bored Raikkonen tries to perform the "Ferrari Swap", allowing a struggling Massa through, but they collide and take one another out. With the title secured, Hamilton races through the pack, before going off the road due to oil from a Kovalainen engine blow up. Only two cars and a dog finish the race, with Button's dog of a Honda's getting the win (though being heavily challenged by the dog on the final straight). FIA stewards later decide that Button's Honda was actually Massa's Ferrari (it was a trick of the light), and order Hamilton to be shot in front of a baying crowd. An FIA steward later explains, "We thought it'd be a laugh". I'd buy that for a dollar.

majorloser

majorloser

The 2008 Formula 1 season is over. It all came down to a nail biting finish on the final race in Brazil.

• David Coulthard didn't even get to make one lap in his final race before retirement.
  • Rubens Barrichello may also hang up his hat before next season.
  • Sebastian Vettel and Toro Rosso made a great showing this year.
  • Kimi looked like he was already retired.
  • Massa almost pulled out a much deserved championship.
  • Timo Glock will probably not make it out of Brazil alive.

I know next year will be full of crappy rule changes, lousy tracks and team changes for drivers. But I still love the sport and wouldn't miss it for the world.

S

sploo

Full Audioholic
You missed a bullet point :p.

It would probably consist of the following words: teeth, skin, of, lucky, Hamilton, Lewis, champion.

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
I know next year will be full of crappy rule changes, lousy tracks and team changes for drivers. But I still love the sport and wouldn't miss it for the world.
I just can't shake the "this was all staged" feeling and I don't trust Bernie and the boys to run things properly or honestly.:mad: The coming year will test my resolve.:(

But as you said major..."But I still love the sport and wouldn't miss it for the world"

SBF1

annunaki

annunaki

I know it has been brought up before, but I will bring it up again. The guy with the most victories should get the title (when all of their other finishes are similar).

In other words more points should be awarded for a win. I feel the gap should be 4 points for a win to second place. If they would have left the scoring gaps alone and simply extended the points down to 8th, we would not be having any conversation as Massa would have clearly won (the title).

Consistency will still be improtant but wins will be a necessity for winning the title.

It should go:

12 for 1st
8 for 2nd
6 for 3rd
5 for 4th
4 for 5th
3 for 6th
2 for 7th
1 for 8th

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
I told you before...

I know it has been brought up before, but I will bring it up again. The guy with the most victories should get the title (when all of their other finishes are similar).

In other words more points should be awarded for a win. I feel the gap should be 4 points for a win to second place. If they would have left the scoring gaps alone and simply extended the points down to 8th, we would not be having any conversation as Massa would have clearly won (the title).

Consistency will still be improtant but wins will be a necessity for winning the title.

It should go:

12 for 1st
8 for 2nd
6 for 3rd
5 for 4th
4 for 5th
3 for 6th
2 for 7th
1 for 8th
P1: 175 points
P2: 87
P3: 43
P4: 21
P5: 20
P6: 19
P7: 18
P8: 17
P9: 16
P10: 15
P11: 14
P12: 13
P13: 12
P14: 11
P15: 10
P16: 9
P17: 8
P18: 7
P19: 6
P20: 5
P21: 4
P22: 3
P23: 2
P24: 1
DSQ: 0

What do ya think? I doubled plus one for the podium positions. think of it this way if 3rd gets you the current 6 points 2nd would be 12+ points and 1st would be 24+ points instead of 6, 8 & 10 respectfully.

SBF1
Now don't make me come to Wisconsin to explain it to ya.:p

SBF1

BTW, I'm still stewing on your last proposal.:D:D:D

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
I know, it is too cold for you here ;)
and the people are too friendly...at least compared to the north east.:D

I stopped in a convenience store out side of Ripon (all farm land) and thought I'd never get out of there. The very nice woman behind the counter wouldn't stop making conversation. Around the more populated areas in the north east grunts and groans suffice.:)

SBF1

annunaki

annunaki

and the people are too friendly...at least compared to the north east.:D

I stopped in a convenience store out side of Ripon (all farm land) and thought I'd never get out of there. The very nice woman behind the counter wouldn't stop making conversation. Around the more populated areas in the north east grunts and groans suffice.:)

SBF1
I am about 50 miles Northeast of Ripon. There are great people all over this country. This site proves that. :D

I can't wait to see what the '09 cars are going to look like and who will and will not be using a KERS system. I did see pictures of a new rear wing fitted on a car at a test, and I must say, it was quite ugly.

majorloser

majorloser

It will be interesting to see who uses the flywheel system or the electrical system. Either one sounds like more weight than any gain is worth.

Let's see what drivers go on a major diet plan over the off season to make up for the car's weight.

annunaki

annunaki

It will be interesting to see who uses the flywheel system or the electrical system. Either one sounds like more weight than any gain is worth.

Let's see what drivers go on a major diet plan over the off season to make up for the car's weight.
With all the flip-ups and aero tabs gone they probably have enough weight savings there (not that the cf weighs a lot to begin with). :)

Electric motors of high power are heavy, a mass loaded flywheel is also heavy. With Kers being optional, I bet some teams may decide to for go that option this season.

What they should have done is offered 100 liters of fuel for the race distance and completely opened the engine formula (if green was the real name of the game) The following season, 90 liters of fuel, etc. Unlimited tire changes of course. This would push road car engine development as well. This would put fuel consumption at .5 liter per mile which is far above where they are at currently.

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
With all the flip-ups and aero tabs gone they probably have enough weight savings there (not that the cf weighs a lot to begin with). :)

Electric motors of high power are heavy, a mass loaded flywheel is also heavy. With Kers being optional, I bet some teams may decide to for go that option this season.

What they should have done is offered 100 liters of fuel for the race distance and completely opened the engine formula (if green was the real name of the game) The following season, 90 liters of fuel, etc. Unlimited tire changes of course. This would push road car engine development as well. This would put fuel consumption at .5 liter per mile which is far above where they are at currently.
but they want to "decrease costs"...at least thats what they say...

annunaki

annunaki

but they want to "decrease costs"...at least thats what they say...
The teams will spend anything available to them for a competitive advantage in some way shape or form regardless of what the FIA thinks or does.

Cost cutting is a joke unless the teams agree to max budget cap.

Renault has always impressed me with what they have been able to do with their budget. They normally operate around $150-$200 million where as Ferrari, McLaren & Toyota are around the $400+ million range.

STR should be the team everyone is looking at based upon their results and budget this season.

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
The teams will spend anything available to them for a competitive advantage in some way shape or form regardless of what the FIA thinks or does.
Agreed

Cost cutting is a joke unless the teams agree to max budget cap.
A max budget cap would never work. They'll cook the books. How's anyone gonna be able to prove that a team has over spent.

Renault has always impressed me with what they have been able to do with their budget. They normally operate around $150-$200 million where as Ferrari, McLaren & Toyota are around the $400+ million range.

STR should be the team everyone is looking at based upon their results and budget this season.
Yea, STR does well...What happened to Williams is what I want to know???

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis