Ultrasonic Levitation

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm sure most of us have seen examples of this, using little Styrofoam balls. This goes a step further and and gives you a real time visual using what I think is dry ice to make the standing wave visible. I think it's a great illustration of how reflected sound waves can cancel each other out inside a speaker box with parallel surfaces.

He adds the effect about half way through the video.

G

Grandzoltar

Full Audioholic
Pretty cool. There’s an ancient aliens episode called the alien frequency that talks about some really interesting things about frequency.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
The demo using ultrasonic frequencies to show what happened but at least that's in the inaudible range. Cancellation effects in the low ends are practically problematic, but try convincing people to set XO for the big tower speakers to 80 Hz or higher could be like pulling teeth.:D

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Another thing I think it illustrates is the futility of using peq to defeat room modes. If you have a frequency issue that's caused by a standing wave no amount of adjustment or added power to the affected frequency is gonna make a difference.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis