Uhhh broke my screen now need a tv. 900f vs Vizio p

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
While one has the X1 Extreme chip the other has the X1 Ultimate, which could be where some of the difference lies. I'll also say that there may be more to the cost difference than simply image quality. In my experience, from Sony's lower end to mid tier to higher end, there can be a pretty big difference in BUILD quality. Their higher end TVs tend to have lots of beautiful brushed metal, heavier and built more like tanks, and lots of little details that won't come through in a review or just looking at them side by side. I've installed a lot of Sonys over the years, and every time I'd install something like a Z9D, I couldn't help but walk away really, really impressed by the "feel" of the TV. When you handle them like I have, getting intimately familiar with the backs and sides of them, that's when you can really appreciate some of those differences in construction. If I'm not mistaken, the A8F is kind of their "lower end" OLED while the A9F is out of their new "MASTER Series" televisions, ie higher end. Most likely the same exact physical screen, but I'm sure there's a difference in image processing and overall build.

Whether or not that cost difference is "worth it" is entirely up to you. There are ALWAYS the laws of diminishing returns at play for sure, but that's the way it's always been. Some people simply want the best. Even if it means paying a much larger margin for a much smaller gain. And they're ok with that. Some people demand the best performance:dollar ratio, in which case a 900F is a solid buy as that seems to hit the sweet spot before you start paying a lot more for marginal improvements.
https://www.rtings.com/tv/tools/compare/sony-a9f-vs-sony-a8f/684/603?usage=4854&threshold=0.1

I don't find anything wrong with the build quality on the AF8 vs A9F, they're just styled differently. Since they are both OLED's they are equally susceptible to burn-in. Went into Best Buy and they had a brand new AF9 that, according to the salesman, had burn-in in 6 hours after setting up.

Last edited:
Montucky

Montucky

Full Audioholic
https://www.rtings.com/tv/tools/compare/sony-a9f-vs-sony-a8f/684/603?usage=4854&threshold=0.1

I don't find anything wrong with the build quality on the AF8 vs A9F, they're just styled differently. Since they are both OLED's they are equally susceptible to burn-in. Went into Best Buy and they had a brand new AF9 that, according to the salesman, had burn-in in 6 hours after setting up.
Oh, I'm sure the build quality is just fine on the AF8 for sure. However, you may not be able to appreciate the differences just by looking at them at a store. It takes mounting/installing all of them to truly know. Sounds silly perhaps, but there's just a tangible quality I've come to know that I've never seen described in any review or by any salesman I've come across.

As to that Best Buy demo getting burn-in after 6 hours? Yeah, I'd say they definitely did something wrong. Doesn't surprise me being Best Buy. Probably had the brightness cranked to 11 (since OLEDS don't have near the NITs of their LED/LCD counterparts so too many overcompensate to make them look more comparable) and had a static image set up on there somehow. While I totally acknowledge that burn-in has been an issue for many, it has not for a single one that I've installed. I'd set them up with a moderate brightness level and warn the customers about leaving it too long with something like a CNN ticker or logo. Customers evidently have understood. Been almost 2 years and so far so good with pretty heavy use. One is set up in a fancy ski resort lodge that gets daily use pretty much year round. No issues yet. Don't put too much weight into the BB salesman's experience. TYPICALLY (not always), BB employees are the most clueless in our industry. Instead, go talk to the folks at your local dedicated home theater store (if you have one around) and get their take on them.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis