N

noclue

Audioholic
The 900F is the newer display it supports IMAX if that means anything to you. I can't say that the newer ones are better. The 930e was supposed to be close to the OLED as far as picture quality even though it was edge lit. the biggest size for the 930E was 65 inc and amazon has a 65 inch for sale BB at my location only has the 55 inch.
I will buy at best buy when i decide what to get because of all of the issue i read about having to return any of the TV;s before they got one that was good, can;t believe every thing you read though.
I might be better for me to wait and get a new model as they come out instead not sure if they will be of better quality. Micro dot may trickle down to to a smaller size and be more affordable soon also

N

NorCalRP

Full Audioholic
The 900F is the newer display it supports IMAX if that means anything to you. I can't say that the newer ones are better. The 930e was supposed to be close to the OLED as far as picture quality even though it was edge lit. the biggest size for the 930E was 65 inc and amazon has a 65 inch for sale BB at my location only has the 55 inch.
I will buy at best buy when i decide what to get because of all of the issue i read about having to return any of the TV;s before they got one that was good, can;t believe every thing you read though.
I might be better for me to wait and get a new model as they come out instead not sure if they will be of better quality. Micro dot may trickle down to to a smaller size and be more affordable soon also
Thanks for the input. From what I've read on rtings, the 940e is rated as the better set overall, but IIRC, it doesn't handle motion as well. For me it's not a great concern. I did look at the 900f this past weekend and it looks great.

I think I've shifted my thinking back to a 65" from a 75". As things are right now, I'm using a 48" and sitting more than 10ft away. While I want bigger, it's not TOO small. The LG B7A gets great reviews, and rtings rates it a better value than the C8. Also, it can be had for $2300 via Prime. For $300 more than the Sony, it gets significantly higher ratings for both SDR and HDR movies. If I'm going to step up to IMAX, it'll coincide with a step up to a projector and a different AVR/Pre-Pro situation.

N

nitse

Audiophyte
I am an owner of a Samsung Q6FN. Although the picture quality is fantastic I would choose an OLED. It's one step forward

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
I am an owner of a Samsung Q6FN. Although the picture quality is fantastic I would choose an OLED. It's one step forward
How can it be a step forward when it has limited brightness compared to QLED?

N

nitse

Audiophyte
How can it be a step forward when it has limited brightness compared to QLED?
Cause brightness is not the only parameter to evaluate a tv. Color accuracy in OLED ia higher in general comparing to LED and QLED.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
Can you provide the measurements?
I don't have any equipment to take measurements of displays. However, I asked my question based on what I have heard and read by others that review displays for a living, including some consumers and most them, if not all of them conclude that QLED TV's are brighter than OLED TV's.

Last edited:
DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn

Senior Audioholic
I had a chance to compare the new Sony master series TVs at CEDIA and both of the LED and OLED models looked fantastic. The LED was naturally brighter, but the OLED had better off-angle PQ and darker blacks.

In the end, it's really all about your room. If you have tons of uncontrolled light you might be better off with the LED. OTOH, if you have folks seated off to the side, and want better low-end contrast, then the OLED might be a better match.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
I had a chance to compare the new Sony master series TVs at CEDIA and both of the LED and OLED models looked fantastic. The LED was naturally brighter, but the OLED had better off-angle PQ and darker blacks.

In the end, it's really all about your room. If you have tons of uncontrolled light you might be better off with the LED. OTOH, if you have folks seated off to the side, and want better low-end contrast, then the OLED might be a better match.
The thing is the OLED manufacturers already market their TV's as having infinite blacks or perfect blacks, which means they can't get any better in that area. However, overall, OLED are not perfect displays, so for OLED TV's to take a step forward, they would have to get brighter to take full advantage of HDR, eliminate what ever causing them to crush blacks, burn-in/image retention, motion blur and improve panel life span.

DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn

Senior Audioholic
OLED image retention is definitely a concern.

N

noclue

Audioholic
I could not pass up the price BB had for the 65 inch Z9D it will be at my home on the 10th

N

noclue

Audioholic
Don't have to worry about burn it due to what my wife is watching, it is brighter than OLED at this time.so better for Dolby vision. Price was much better than OLED. Feel like Mirco dot or something else is the future

Dmantis10

Dmantis10

Audioholic
One of the things I appreciate most about this forum overall is how it guides my research and enabled me to make an informed decision. It's now got me looking at the Sony XBR75X940E. Although the 900F is the newer model, I've read in multiple reviews that the 940 is a superior product overall. Any thought gents?
No it is not. The 940E suffers from poor motion issues. The 900F does not. The 940E has slightly better black levels as it also has more local dimming abilities but it doesn't make it a better set.
Before I purchased a Sony Z9D, I studied the 930E which I had at my house for over a week and the 940E. They are not the same sets as the 930E was edge lit and the 940 was full array. Neither TV looked as good as the Z9D on any level.
The 900F has 1 huge advantage over all 3 of those sets and that's motion blur, it has a really great chipset in it for this issue which has been common of LED since the beginning of time.
OLED is fantastic and I prefer the Sony's over the LG's. Neither set is superior all around as they are really close.
The XBRX900F( Pick your size) is probably the best overall TV out there for the money. I looked at the Samsung many times and walked away from it every single time. No Dolby Vision and it just has this strange 3dish effect I can't get over. I don't like how they process video, looks un natural to me.
I much prefer the Sony LED models over all the Samsungs currently.
Buying a TV isn't easy. Right now I feel it's a mess. None of the sets are perfect like back in the day with the Pioneer Elite Kuro's which I held onto mine. I loved that set way more then the Z9D even though it was only 1080p.What it did it did right as I can't say that about any new TV. I wanted to buy an OLED but shy'd away for many reasons. I'm happy with my Z9D but I don't think it's better then my Elite Kuro.

DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn

Senior Audioholic
It's funny. I still have two10-year old Pioneer Kuro's -- the last model they made. And the picture is still quite excellent. I would have a difficult time giving them up.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
It's funny. I still have two10-year old Pioneer Kuro's -- the last model they made. And the picture is still quite excellent. I would have a difficult time giving them up.
Yup mine are still going strong

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Same with my last gen Panasonic VT60.

DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn

Senior Audioholic
Yes, the VT was a great product. There's just something pleasing with a good plasma. The only way to describe it for me is a warm, yet natural image. Add great scaling and it's a fantastic combination. Downside: aside from a lack of HDR and higher resolution, these things can be used as space heaters. :)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis