N

NorCalRP

Full Audioholic
I've decided I'm going to grab a new TV during Black Friday- I currently have a 48" and would like to move up to 65". I've had my current TV for about 3 years- a TCL. I imagine I'll have this next TV for 2 to 3 years before I go the projector route.

I'm not able to spend $2500 or $3000. If I were, I'd go OLED or stretch for a projector. I've seen one OLED (an LG) for $1700. I've read that the TCL 6 series does a good job for $1000. I could see myself spending the money saved going with the TCL option on a new receiver ( AVR-X4400H - I have a 2300W) or some towers for my LR needs ( Paradigm Monitor 11 or 9, v7 ). I'd have to spend more overall, but would double my upgrades.

Current setup: Denon AVR-X 2300W, Paradigm Mini Monitor v7 LCR, SVS Prime Satellites for surrounds, SVS PB1000 and HSU VTF3 MK4.

K

Kadajoo

Audiophyte
For movies OLED is far superior because of Perfect contrast and black color quality.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

N

NorCalRP

Full Audioholic
For movies OLED is far superior because of Perfect contrast and black color quality.

Thanks for the reply. This would be true with even the least expensive OLED out there?

K

Kadajoo

Audiophyte
Yes. Picture quality on all Oleds is spectacular.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Ok, OLED has extremely high contrast (not perfect) and it is very good for movies. Deep black levels are what makes contrast so high, BUT: I'd argue that for HDR movies/tv OLED is not ideal since it's lacking in light output levels.
OP should do his own homework and decide what's best. I recommend reading on rtings.com
Thanks for the reply. This would be true with even the least expensive OLED out there?
LG and by far. They had polished the tech to make large-sized screens relatively cheaply. AFAIK Sony is only another OLED TV vendor, but they buy the panels from LG, but replacing the rest and they are very expensive.
Personally, I'd skip marginally better OLED, for cheaper Samsungs QLED with Full-Array DImming model, since I'd be looking for 75" model, OLED is just way too expensive at that size, but I'd rather have a larger TV, than slightly better contrast.
https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/c8
https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/q8fn-q8f-q8-2018

BUT, MOST IMPORTANTLY: PERSONALLY I WON'T TOUCH ANY LG PRODUCT EVER AGAIN WITH 10 FT POLE DUE TO PERSONAL HISTORY WITH SEVERAL OF THEIR PRODUCTS, SHOWING ABMYSAL RELIABILITY PAST THE WARRANTY PERIOD.

Last edited:
C

connta

Audioholic Intern
i can vouch for QLED, it is marginally worse than OLED at a not marginally lower price... dunno if OLEDs also caught up with HRR and all that noise or if thats even important to you... also OLED panels have worse work hours statistics than LED's, they degrade faster... you will probably get your 3 year cycle from either but it is good to know...

N

NorCalRP

Full Audioholic
One of the things that I think about is that I'd be looking at the very bottom of the spectrum if I were to go QLED or OLED. It looks like that TCL has more features- Dolby Vision among them.

Anyone think my eyesight should influence my decision? With correction my vision can only get to 20/25.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
One of the things that I think about is that I'd be looking at the very bottom of the spectrum if I were to go QLED or OLED. It looks like that TCL has more features- Dolby Vision among them.

Anyone think my eyesight should influence my decision? With correction my vision can only get to 20/25.
I think you to stop beating around the push and throw around terms you don't understand. What is your budget and what size TV do you want? Clearly, OLED is out of your price point and you'd known it in a second, had you did even most basic search.

C

connta

Audioholic Intern
I think you to stop beating around the push and throw around terms you don't understand. What is your budget and what size TV do you want? Clearly, OLED is out of your price point and you'd known it in a second, had you did even most basic search.
for someone being bested by his mobile device keyboard 5 times in 2 sentences you are mighty arrogant :D
some ppl have different learning methods, asking around on forums is one of them... either help or dont i guess...

tbh, dunno, should it? :D what i mean is that only you can decide if your eyesight should be factored in and what kind of limitations it presents... in other words, thats a very subjective question.

what i can tell you is that your viewing distance and desired screen size should play a factor when choosing resolution of your display device... also the use of it, video is going to take the most amount of proportional failures and still look decent, computer text will not, etc... if you never plan to use that device as a monitor you can get away with a 1080p screen easily, no matter the size (ok, commercial size)...

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-big-a-tv-should-i-buy/
https://referencehometheater.com/2013/commentary/4k-calculator/

qled came down to the global mid range (500-1000e),didnt see any oled in this range which is logical since qled is basically a filter for your standard lcd while oled is somethin different by a lot more factors... anyway most of manufacturers do not see the cost/benefit in oled (hence only LG makes em) so most customers wont either...

N

NorCalRP

Full Audioholic
Given you know ABSOLUTELY nothing about me, that's a pretty rude reply. That literally didn't help me at all. My "most basic" research did show an OLED and a QLED at a price I wouldn't mind paying. My inability to pay as much as I stated isn't due to a lack of funds ( I make about $150k a year), but out of fiscal responsibility. The type of "advice" you've offered is like the opinion that's like an a**hole- everyone has one and they all stink.

P.S.- my 8 year old nephew has much better grammar, syntax and sentence structure than your post demonstrated. You called me ignorant, and if you want to go there, don't bring a rubber spatula to an intellectual gunfight.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Dear NorCalRP pointing to my grammar and spelling error does not give you any right in any reasonable argument to belittle me as a basis to prove your intellectual superiority. If you knew that English is my 3rd language. Yes, not the mother tongue, not even second language as a Spanish as you probably still remember only a few phrases from your high school years, but a legit third fluently spoken language. You'll have to forgive me for minor grammar issues in my posts. I have seen TONS of much worse posts from native speakers.

As to my attitude, yes my arrogance was clear, but I have no patience for people to come and ask that is best tv without providing any other details or constraints - it makes me waste my time and efforts. Calling veteran AHer names does not help your goal of getting help.

p.s: I make more than you do, so truck OFF looser and find your peers on reddit.com/r/IamVerySmart

N

NorCalRP

Full Audioholic
Dear NorCalRP pointing to my grammar and spelling error does not give you any right in any reasonable argument to belittle me as a basis to prove your intellectual superiority. If you knew that English is my 3rd language. Yes, not the mother tongue, not even second language as a Spanish as you probably still remember only a few phrases from your high school years, but a legit third fluently spoken language. You'll have to forgive me for minor grammar issues in my posts. I have seen TONS of much worse posts from native speakers.

As to my attitude, yes my arrogance was clear, but I have no patience for people to come and ask that is best tv without providing any other details or constraints - it makes me waste my time and efforts. Calling veteran AHer names does not help your goal of getting help.

p.s: I make more than you do, so truck OFF looser and find your peers on reddit.com/r/IamVerySmart
:eek::eek::eek:

Truck off, hahahahaha!!! You admit to being arrogant?:confused: Sad for you.

Totally worth pointing out, as well, that your post in which you quoted mine, I didn't ask you anything- you chimed in. Also, I did post my constraints in my original post. Additionally, stating my income wasn't an invitation to a penis measuring contest- it was meant just as it said... that my budget isn't predicated upon financial constraints; I set my budget out of a sense of fiscal responsibility.

Y finalmente, soy del sur de California y he estudiado Espanol para once años. Si quieres conversar en Español, esta bien conmigo.

C

connta

Audioholic Intern
that escalated quickly :D

ok, so, yeah, NorCalRP could do a bit more research on the topic, mixing basically everything in the pot, features, oled, qled, size, resolution, formats... sure, hes all over the place and looking for input but theres not much wrong with that...

BoredSysAdmin on the other hand thinks that he is obliged to answer every "noob" question on the forum and he doesnt like it... really? does posting those questions also "waters down" the forum? those bastards... :D

anyway, guys, you got your work cut out for you... therapy is 120$ per hour, i got openings :D

N

NorCalRP

Full Audioholic
that escalated quickly :D

ok, so, yeah, NorCalRP could do a bit more research on the topic, mixing basically everything in the pot, features, oled, qled, size, resolution, formats... sure, hes all over the place and looking for input but theres not much wrong with that...

BoredSysAdmin on the other hand thinks that he is obliged to answer every "noob" question on the forum and he doesnt like it... really? does posting those questions also "waters down" the forum? those bastards... :D

anyway, guys, you got your work cut out for you... therapy is 120$ per hour, i got openings :D
No worries, dude. My union insurance pays 100% for our therapy:D A perk of working in one of the 10 most dangerous professions in the country;)

Homeboy, with his truckloads of money doesn't pay me rent, so while he may stoke the flame, he doesn't get to live in my head :D

Dmantis10

Dmantis10

Audioholic
I think the smartest TV purchase right now is the Sony XBR65X900F. It's that middle ground between a really Good LED and a nice OLED. I think it's black levels and Motion Blur for the money is top notch.
For 65 inch TV's on the market I think it's the best one available. Worth the money.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
If I had the money LG OLED C8/Samsung QLED or budget TCL 6 Series or Vizio P series.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I enjoy my 2016 Samsung 65in a lot. It’s a KS8000. It is HDR10 and there are newer HDR formats out such as Dolby Vision vs HDR10+. However, the charts on 4K suggest 75in is where 2160p and HDR start to out distance 1080p. Also you need to be relatively close to the screen in viewing distance. I’m 8 feet away from my 65. I still use my old 55in 1080p plasma in another room by the way. Plasmas are great TVs. Additionally just the screen size difference going from 55 to 65 is a game changer. I can easily follow the hockey puck during the Stanley cup now. :). YMMV. Good luck! :)

N

NorCalRP

Full Audioholic
I enjoy my 2016 Samsung 65in a lot. It’s a KS8000. It is HDR10 and there are newer HDR formats out such as Dolby Vision vs HDR10+. However, the charts on 4K suggest 75in is where 2160p and HDR start to out distance 1080p. Also you need to be relatively close to the screen in viewing distance. I’m 8 feet away from my 65. I still use my old 55in 1080p plasma in another room by the way. Plasmas are great TVs. Additionally just the screen size difference going from 55 to 65 is a game changer. I can easily follow the hockey puck during the Stanley cup now. :). YMMV. Good luck! :)
I've been looking at 75" models. Really considering upping my budget to 2500 to 2700. It looks like there are some nice examples in that range.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I've been looking at 75" models. Really considering upping my budget to 2500 to 2700. It looks like there are some nice examples in that range.
Ya I wanted 75” but it was even more expensive than it is now when I was shopping 2 years ago. I had the cash but didn’t do it. :)

N

NorCalRP

Full Audioholic
One of the things I appreciate most about this forum overall is how it guides my research and enabled me to make an informed decision. It's now got me looking at the Sony XBR75X940E. Although the 900F is the newer model, I've read in multiple reviews that the 940 is a superior product overall. Any thought gents?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis