Monkeyfister

Monkeyfister

Audiophyte
My first question is in regard to impedence differences between my speakers..

My B&W 600i's are 4ohm. The rest of my speakers are 8ohm. My NAD T743 *should* be stable down to 2ohm. Am I OK using the 4ohm B&Ws with the rest of the system? I've got all speakers set to small, and (AFAIK) am using the default 8ohm impedence setting. Follow-up... As my rear AR 2052's have a freq. range down to 52, are they going to interfere with my subwoofer crossover when I add it?

Second question:

Regarding subwoofer connection...

My JBL subwoofer has bare wire inputs (see pic below), the receiver has an RCA out. What is the specific connector/cable/wire set-up I'll need to make this interface? Links to pics or product? Does my sub's post clamp allow an RCA connector to plug into the end? Is it that simple? If it's not that simple, is there a product to ask for at Radio Shack or the Stereo store? Sorry for my ignorance, I had the sub between my B-Channel speakers and my old receiver for a long time. I'd like to make use of the specific out and the xover/bass management features without having to buy a new sub right off.

As always, thank you in advance.

Tony B.

Attachments

Last edited:
Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
1) Your settings are correct. Not sure about your crossover choices, but 80 is a good place to start. I have mine set at 60.

2) You need an amp for that sub.

Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

Audioholic Field Marshall
PartsExpress.com has subwoofer amps fairly cheap

Monkeyfister

Monkeyfister

Audiophyte
80 is the xover for the B&Ws... Like you said, "Gotta start somewhere." I may swap the ARs for the B&Ws as fronts for a while, and then I've got to definately make adjustments to the crossover settings for sure. I do not have an ideal room for the ideal set up. I know that I have definately improved my lot, and someday this system will have it's proper place. Right now, I just want to know that I'm not taxing the receiver, and getting my sub hooked up properly.

Thanks for the assurrances. :)

Tony B.

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
I would leave the 4ohm speakers as the mains for sure.

An Outlaw mono-block amp would also be a great choice for your sub. Here is a link.

Monkeyfister

Monkeyfister

Audiophyte
Ok, But, What About A Cable Solution For My Sub?

OK,

The 4ohm speakers are going to be alright. Thank you all for the fast input.

The cable issue is still hanging, and the one-line answers about "get an amp" are fine, but impractical for me. I live in an apartment with neighbors below me, my sound room is tiny, and I'm not overly affluent, so "more power" is not an on-topic answer, really.

The question is whether there is a cable (adapter/ready-made) solution to get my sub hooked up from the standard RCA Subwoofer Out on the NAD to my speaker post/banana clip terminals on my Sub.

I'm hoping that this second question is a yes or no answer, with the yes answer ending with: "... this is what it is called, and this is where you can get what you need, and a link." I can't believe that there is no cable solution, considering the wide array of equipment out there. But, then, I'm trying to do an awful lot with a tiny bit of money.

I don't plan on buying another component this year, and if I cannot hook up this sub, I will sell it, and plan for something usable down the road.
For the music I listen to, and the few movies that I watch, 4 speakers may be plenty.

Thanks for your comments so far... One big worry has been relived.

Tony B.

S

slopoke

Audioholic Intern
Cable solution - No

If I've read the rest of the posts right, then here's the deal:

There are two kind of subs; active and passive. The active has it's own amp and just needs a line level signal (LFE etc.) to run it. The passive just has high pass filters and needs to be powered by an outboard amp. That amp could be the one that powers your mains or a seperate amp.

The JBL sub you've got is passive. If you do any kind of connection from the LFE out on your pre/pro you will have a line level signal trying to power your sub. Just won't work! As indicated above you need another amp. Or another sub.

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
The above answer is correct. Sorry about not being clear enough. You don't need "more power", but you do need some power. ;)

Monkeyfister

Monkeyfister

Audiophyte
Thank You, Folks!

You've really got me all straightened out on this topic. I most sincerely appreciate it!

Tony B.

Dumar

Audioholic
I may be out in left field here, but couldn't he use the B speaker output to drive that sub?

W

WAF!

Audiophyte
To help you with your ohm worries.

This may help ease your mind if you still have doubt. I have the NAD T752 with Dynaudio mains and center (4 ohms). I have 8 ohm Paradigm speakers for surrounds. I have absolutely no problems.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis