S

Stengah

Audiophyte
I have my mind set on the Bose Acoustimass 16 Home Entertainment Speaker System...
http://www.bose.com/controller?event=VIEW_PRODUCT_PAGE_EVENT&product=am16_surround_index
...the "flagship 6.1-channel speaker system" from Bose.

First question, are these worth the price tag? Is there anything else that compares to these speakers? Am I just paying for the name? Are these the best currently in the market? Give me the run down.

Second question, will the Denon AVR-486S: 7.1 CH Home Theater Receiver be good enough to take full advantage of the Bose speaker system?
http://www.usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/2120.asp
The speakers are compatible with A/V receivers and amplifiers rated from 10-200 watts per channel, rated from 4 to 8 ohms. The Denon puts out 75 watts per channel.

All help appreciated. Thanks.

muncybob

muncybob

Audioholic
I think you can do much, much better for the money.:eek:

DITTO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They are actually surprising in sound for their size...but that's not $$ well spent IMHO.

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
I'll be blunt: Bose is very VERY overpriced for the performance. You can purchase something for the same price that will give you much better sound.

Based on my quick price research, the size of investment you're looking to make is about $1600. At this price, I would be looking to spend around $1100 on speakers, $300 on a receiver, another $125 or so on a DVD player, and the remainder on cabling.

How big is your room? This will also determine what you should buy. Feel free to ask more questions, we're all willing to help out.

S

s2pdname

Junior Audioholic
jaxvon said:
I'll be blunt: Bose is very VERY overpriced for the performance. You can purchase something for the same price that will give you much better sound.

Based on my quick price research, the size of investment you're looking to make is about $1600. At this price, I would be looking to spend around $1100 on speakers, $300 on a receiver, another $125 or so on a DVD player, and the remainder on cabling.

How big is your room? This will also determine what you should buy. Feel free to ask more questions, we're all willing to help out.

VERY good advice. I agree on all accounts.

It may also help to know how you will be using the system, music/movies/gaming, and what percentages. Also, do you require smaller (cube like) speakers, or can you go with a bookshelf size?

The more specifics you can provide the better the information you will receive.

Remember that half of the fun is in the search. :D

highfihoney

highfihoney

Audioholic Samurai
ok before i jump on the bash bose bandwagon stop & think for a minute about the gear your thinking about buying,look at the empty & weightless little plastic cubes they use for speakers & try to imagine whats inside of them,now take a look at the little box they call a subwoofer & try to imagine whats inside of it,last but not least look at the control unit for the whole system,at that small size & feather weight try to imagine whats inside of it.

the control unit.

this is where all the amplification & processing is done,quality amplification requires large transformers & caps(the bigger the better),the transformer in this unit has to be the size of a pack of bubble gum if not smaller, quality processing requires its own seperate set of components also not to mention components for the cd/dvd player,every part of the control unit shares the same transformer & caps (very bad news) not to mention all the other components that are shared in order to keep the size of the unit so very small.:(

the speakers in the bose system.

plastic is the worst material on earth to make a speaker cabinet out of & bose designs them like that for looks & cost issues alone,the design is not based on performance or quality at all,bose uses the same speaker driver in all of their HTIB systems to keep profits high.:(

the subwoofer thingamajig.

good bass requires a large surface area bass driver,no if and's or but's its a must! good bass response also requires large amounts of power & wattage,where is bose hiding the driver required for a good bass response & where is all the power for the amplification of the bass comming from.:(

bose has the most clever/in your face marketing campaign on the planet,they offer no real world performance specifications so the buyer is not able to compare their gear against other systems,they also have set their self up in the public eye as the industry leader in technology & dynamic sound which isnt even close to being true.

look at the bose gear & compare it against the gear that other members here are reccomending to you then decide on how great bose is for yourself.:)

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
It appears you've got your education on Blose. I can't tell you how many people think Bose is the best there is. So many well educated people succumb to the Bose marketing, it's shameless. You've come to the right place to find a much better system at a much better price.

If you need a WAF (Wife acceptance factor) friendly setup at a reasonable price, check into somethign like this:

http://www.hsustore.com/vt12.html

with any of the subs listed to the right.

If you have a more understanding wife, and can get away with larger speakers, then we'll open up a can or worms and confuse the heck out of you. In any event, I'm confident any system recommended here will blow away the Bose system.

Stay clear of Bose, and expensive cables. ;)

S

Stengah

Audiophyte
Thanks for all your responses so far!

I need to clarify some things...

It has to at least be a 6.1 system (7.1 ok too if the price is right). They must be good quality small wall mountable speakers.

The room is 15x15, my bed room. My living room already has a home theater system. I already have a dvd player for my room. I'll be using the system mainly for movies and some gaming (ps2 and gamecube) and a little music. I listen to music mostly through my computer which has a 5.1 Logitech system, which I also do most of my gaming through. So this will mainly be used for movies.

Last edited:
L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
for a bedroom system at that price, you would probably get the highest WAF by going with one of the Yamaha DSP units and a decent sub..

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/YSP1/idx_products.htm

the system has a built-in amplifier, so you won't need a separate receiver, and ther will be no speaker boxes hanging on the walls anywhere.

they run $ 500 to $1500, depending on which model you select.

here's the initial AudioHolics review on the product

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/YSP1/resources/Yamaha_YSP1_12pgs.pdf

J

johsti

Audioholic
I would also look at the athena point 5 and a good sub. The point 5's msrp at $500 for 4 bookshelf/sats with wall mounts and one center. You can find them for much cheaper online ($200). They have 4" drivers and a 1" tweeter.

6.1 or 7.1 in a bedroom? How are you going to do that? Is the bed in the middle of the room? Is there a couch in the middle of your room?

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
I would check out the Axiom on-wall speakers:

http://axiomaudio.com/wallspeakers.html

Since it's a small room, you should be fine with the smaller models (as in not the W22). As for a subwoofer, I think an STF-1 or STF-2 from Hsu would be a good choice. As for a receiver, a Yamaha, Pioneer, or Onkyo unit in your price range would be a good choice. I personally don't feel that Denon offers a good value until you hit their higher price ranges.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis