Two Power Amps: Same/Similar on paper - will they sound the same?

K

Kleinst

Full Audioholic
If you can get a high quality 4 channel amp, then you can use the Arcam to power the surround and Atmos channels. That would be the most efficient way, because your AVR should be able to drive the other channels without any issue, unless they are position further away than the front channel speakers and/or have much lower sensitivity.

For the best specs possible for such an amp, I would consider the Hypex or Purifi based amps. Examples:

AT52XNC Amplifiers (ati-amp.com)

That's the expensive option, but may be @AcuDefTechGuy could get you a good deal if you asked him;).

Otherwise as others have suggested, the Monolith 200WX5 appears to be a good option.

With the questionable Arcam's preamp output, you probably should avoid power amps with less than 28 dB gain.

In all likelihood, a good quality class AB, or G power amp won't be the bottleneck in terms of audio performance specs.
On your point of avoiding power AMPs with less than 28db gain, does that just mean you have to boost your levels a bit in order to get the AMP aligned? Does that then limit the useful power of the AMP if the pre out maxes out at some point? My guess is it still can power fine with a lower gain but makes it a little more difficult in setup.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Are you guys recommending the Monolith based on its performance and price point? If both were the same price, which would you get? Apologize if Im jacking the forum but doing some research before I purchase. I went to BestBuy and the Magnolia Rep recommended the Arcam PA720 Power Amp for my system (BW 702 S2 floor speakers, BW 705S2 bookshelves, BW HTM71 S2 center,, REL T-9I sub and Marantz SR5015 receiver). I have the employee discount and can get the Arcam PA720 for $1800. Performance wise, is the Monolith better than the Arcam?
Thanks!
That Arcam Amp is like the Marantz amp. It's basically like the amps inside the AVRs. Since you have a Marantz AVR, if you are going to use an AVR-derived amp, might as well get the Marantz Amp to match aesthetics, which will also perform like the Arcam amp.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
On your point of avoiding power AMPs with less than 28db gain, does that just mean you have to boost your levels a bit in order to get the AMP aligned? Does that then limit the useful power of the AMP if the pre out maxes out at some point? My guess is it still can power fine with a lower gain but makes it a little more difficult in setup.
That depends, if your preamp has good performance specs/measurements at high enough output voltage such as 2 V unbalance, or 4 V balanced then even 26 dB gain would be fine unless you need more than 200 W into 8 Ohms.

Another example, if it can only do well at say 1.5 V, and you need more than 100 W into 8 Ohms then 26 dB gain would be too low. If you tell me which preamp, power amp, and your max power need I can do the calculations for you.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
If you can get a high quality 4 channel amp, then you can use the Arcam to power the surround and Atmos channels. That would be the most efficient way, because your AVR should be able to drive the other channels without any issue, unless they are position further away than the front channel speakers and/or have much lower sensitivity.

For the best specs possible for such an amp, I would consider the Hypex or Purifi based amps. Examples:

AT52XNC Amplifiers (ati-amp.com)

That's the expensive option, but may be @AcuDefTechGuy could get you a good deal if you asked him;).

Otherwise as others have suggested, the Monolith 200WX5 appears to be a good option.

With the questionable Arcam's preamp output, you probably should avoid power amps with less than 28 dB gain.

In all likelihood, a good quality class AB, or G power amp won't be the bottleneck in terms of audio performance specs.
You know it, bro. ;)

B

BlackSpider777

Audiophyte
I know this is an old thread, curious which power amp did the OP go for?

Thanks.

newsletter
  • RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis