Two PB-1000's or Two PB-2000's?

JDM3030

JDM3030

Audioholic Intern
I have posted here a couple times previously and I feel ike I got very good advice so here goes...

Current setup:
Room: Not square but close to it. About 18' x 18.5' x 7.5' ceilings - Flat drywall and back wall is brick. Floor is carpet. Bass traps in front corners and panels for side reflections.
7.2 through a Yamaha RX-A880 AVR
I have a Crown XLS 1002 (215 watts) powering a Klipsch RP-450C center channel
I have a Crown XLS 1502 (300 watts) powering two Klipsch RP-260F towers
Side and rear speakers are powered by the AVR (100 watts) - four Klipsch RP-150M
Subs: Two SVS PB-1000's

I bought one of the PB-1000's direct from the SVS outlet less than a year ago so I am able to trade it back in for a credit of $420. The other PB-1000 I bought used on Craigslist for $150 (great deal). I just found a two year old PB-2000 (good condition) on Craigslist and the guy is willing to sell it for $425.

So what I am considering is trading in the PB-1000 back to SVS and swapping it for an outlet PB-2000 for about $700 minus the $420 credit for the PB-1000. Then I buy the PB-2000 for $425 and try to sell the PB-1000 on Craigslist and get what I can. I would hope for at least $250. So net I would come out of pocket for less than $500 and perhaps closer to $400. Is it worth it??? THAT is my question. Is it worth $400-$500 to upgrade from duel PB-1000s to duel PB-2000s? Will it make that much of a difference? I use my system equally for movies, games and music and I do sometimes listen at louder volumes. Please don't suggest brand ABC instead. This is the deal I have in front of me. I have no clue if it is worth it because I have never actually heard the PB-2000s and have other heard what other say.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I think it will be worth it for you. You will get greater bass extension for movies.

I don’t have experience with SVS but I have a pair of 12in ported subs from HSU in my living room which is a lot bigger than your space since it’s open to the dining and kitchen and hallway. I also have a 12in ported Rythmik sub in my small theater room/ den and plan to add a 2nd one after I update the circuit breaker and add two circuits.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
2ks all the way. It will be a step up. From the 1ks for certain.
Enjoy

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
I have posted here a couple times previously and I feel ike I got very good advice so here goes...

Current setup:
Room: Not square but close to it. About 18' x 18.5' x 7.5' ceilings - Flat drywall and back wall is brick. Floor is carpet. Bass traps in front corners and panels for side reflections.
7.2 through a Yamaha RX-A880 AVR
I have a Crown XLS 1002 (215 watts) powering a Klipsch RP-450C center channel
I have a Crown XLS 1502 (300 watts) powering two Klipsch RP-260F towers
Side and rear speakers are powered by the AVR (100 watts) - four Klipsch RP-150M
Subs: Two SVS PB-1000's

I bought one of the PB-1000's direct from the SVS outlet less than a year ago so I am able to trade it back in for a credit of $420. The other PB-1000 I bought used on Craigslist for $150 (great deal). I just found a two year old PB-2000 (good condition) on Craigslist and the guy is willing to sell it for $425.

So what I am considering is trading in the PB-1000 back to SVS and swapping it for an outlet PB-2000 for about $700 minus the $420 credit for the PB-1000. Then I buy the PB-2000 for $425 and try to sell the PB-1000 on Craigslist and get what I can. I would hope for at least $250. So net I would come out of pocket for less than $500 and perhaps closer to $400. Is it worth it??? THAT is my question. Is it worth $400-$500 to upgrade from duel PB-1000s to duel PB-2000s? Will it make that much of a difference? I use my system equally for movies, games and music and I do sometimes listen at louder volumes. Please don't suggest brand ABC instead. This is the deal I have in front of me. I have no clue if it is worth it because I have never actually heard the PB-2000s and have other heard what other say.
What is that you are trying to obtain sonically? I already think you have overkill equipment for such a small area.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
What is that you are trying to obtain sonically? I already think you have overkill equipment for such a small area.
I think OP is right at the cusp... ~2500’^3, I would opt for larger subs than the 1ks. Considering he still has the option to upgrade with SVS, it may be more worthwhile to follow that path. :)

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I think OP is right at the cusp... ~2500’^3, I would opt for larger subs than the 1ks. Considering he still has the option to upgrade with SVS, it may be more worthwhile to follow that path. :)
Agreed. I'd rather err on the side of having more than I need than the other way 'round.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
The PB2ks are better in every way, and you’ll be into a pair of them for pretty cheap(all
Things considered). I say yes, do it. Go, go now! Get to da choppa!!!!

N

NorCalRP

Full Audioholic
From my experience- I started with an outlet PB-1000. My chain up upgrades then went like this: added a HSU VTF-3 MK4 ($300 in great condition), then an outlet PC-2000 (at this point I moved the PB-1000 out and into another room; the PC goes 1hz deeper and has a MUCH smaller footprint), then a sealed 18" Optimax kit from PE driven by an XLS 2502. I have another PC-2000 arriving on Friday to get my fourth sub in my main room. The debate for me now is to go 4 PC's, move out the Optimax and put it where the PB is to go with another VTF-3, or move out the VTF-3, get another Optimax and put both of them in the back.

That being said, the 2000 is dramatically more powerful than the 1000. What this means for me is more meaningful low end extension at lower volume levels. If upgrading to the 2000's isn't going to hurt you in the wallet, I'd take the deal in front of you quicker than it takes a bass not to make it to me from my closest sub.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
If upgrading to the 2000's isn't going to hurt you in the wallet, I'd take the deal in front of you quicker than it takes a bass not to make it to me from my closest sub.
You mean the “quicker sealed sub” right? Lmao.....

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Why if he doesn't need it? He hasn't told us what he's trying to do. I suspect he might have the upgrade bug.
How did you determine what he "needs"? As if that always has anything to do with what we do with audio gear :)

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
How did you determine what he "needs"? As if that always has anything to do with what we do with audio gear :)
There is nothing wrong with purchasing audio and video gear, but there should be a spending cap otherwise you'll be spending superfluously. No need to put dual PBU16's in a 12 by 12 room.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
I'd go for dual PB-2000's as well over the PB-1000's.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Why if he doesn't need it? He hasn't told us what he's trying to do. I suspect he might have the upgrade bug.
Well we actually covered it with him awhile ago on a different thread. Plus, he is into movies so the 2k is superior in every way so....

My question is why not? He’s obviously ok with the money and he IS asking.

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
Nothing worse than gear regret...
2 PB 1000’s,
1 65” display.
I really didn’t know how much I would enjoy them.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
There is nothing wrong with purchasing audio and video gear, but there should be a spending cap otherwise you'll be spending superfluously. No need to put dual PBU16's in a 12 by 12 room.
Spending cap? Are you the one who should decide HIS cap?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis