Two part budget question

QED

QED

Audioholic Intern
What percentage of the overall budget should be spent on each part of a home theater/media room? ie display, source, processing/amplification, speakers & etc

What percentage of the speaker budget should be spent on fronts vs center vs surrounds vs subwoofer in both 5.1 & 7.1 scenarios?

Thanks for your opinions

racquetman

racquetman

Audioholic Chief
Personally I think it is wrong to approach your purchasing in such a manner. Home theater is not a science where hard and fast rules apply to such things. I have seen books try and break down purchases this way, but I think this just sets you up to really have limited options as to what you will buy.

This is what I would focus on. What is more important to you - audio or video? If it's video, concentrate on getting the best display you can. If it's audio, spring for the best speakers you can afford. I would start with speakers regardless. Since the majority of sound comes from the front, concentrate on the left, center, and right speakers. Make sure that they are well matched (same timbre). The center channel does most of the dialog and in a movie that is crucial. I really believe it is the most important speaker for movies. If the dialog isn't intelligible then what's the point. Once you have found speakers you like, then you can determine how much power you need to drive them sufficiently. Selecting a preamp stage is a matter of personal preferences and needs. Get the processing you want and the inputs you need obviously. Purchasing a subwoofer is a matter of finding one that blends well with the other speakers as far as frequency coverage.

So I guess what I am saying is start with the speakers. Once you find the sound you are looking for, work the rest of your budget around that.

Buckle-meister

Audioholic Field Marshall
alandamp said:
Personally I think it is wrong to approach your purchasing in such a manner.
I agree.

alandamp said:
This is what I would focus on. What is more important to you - audio or video? If it's video, concentrate on getting the best display you can.
I disagree. Even if a person is more into video than audio, I would argue that the film watching experiance will be far more enjoyable with an average quality display and great quality speakers than vice versa. I also think that most people are not aware of just how much more important to them quality of sound is compared to quality of picture.

alandamp said:
So I guess what I am saying is start with the speakers.
I agree. ;)

Regards

R

RMK!

OK, I'll take a stab at it.

Well you could look at the recommended systems on this site and get a really good idea of $ and % recommended by the "experts".

My take:

Q 1 HT System: Audio 67% Video $33%

Q 2 Speakers: Mains 50%, Center/Surround/ Sub 50%

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
It really depends. A video display is a solatary LARGE investment. You can't pick up a $500.00 projector then switch it out for a $10,000 projector easily. You can pick up a good $2,000 home theater projector and be happy for 5+ years pretty easily though.

Audio on the other hand allows you to get a $500.00 HTIB, then upgrade speakers a pair at a time, then perhaps a new receiver, then perhaps an outboard amp. One-by-one the parts can be upgraded and you can get a better system as you can afford it.

But, if you don't care that much about video, get a 27" TV and focus on the sound.

I'm a movie lover myself, action/adventure stuff...

Yes, my actual budget is probably 50/50 between audio and video or so, but remove the tab-tensioned/motorized screen and it is about 3 times as much spent on audio vs. video.

S

scorrpio

Enthusiast
I really think that 'so much % goes into this, so much into that' is a wrong approach. Draw up a set of components that you think will give you what you want, make some research, look for good prices, add it all up (don't forget the accessories like cables etc), and see weather you are within budget. If not, start looking at each component in turn, and seeing weather it can be replaced with a cheaper product without greatly compromising the end result.

R

RMK!

%Percentages%

If someone has a budget for a HT System and wants to break that down by components and percentages of that budget, that seems like good responsible planning and money management to me. Emotional and subjective opinions aside, more people should try budgeting their money!

racquetman

racquetman

Audioholic Chief
hidog1 said:
If someone has a budget for a HT System and wants to break that down by components and percentages of that budget, that seems like good responsible planning and money management to me. Emotional and subjective opinions aside, more people should try budgeting their money!
There is definitely nothing wrong with having a budget. In fact, like you, I encourage it. However, the question at hand was what percentage of that budget for each component. If there was a way to guarantee performance by following percentage guidelines then I would say go for it. Since there are so many products to choose from and so many personal preferences and requirements to take into consideration, I think it would be foolish to throw out percentages and pretend like they are gospel for everyone to follow.

I still say focus your budget on what is important to you.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
QED said:
What percentage of the overall budget should be spent on each part of a home theater/media room? ie display, source, processing/amplification, speakers & etc

What percentage of the speaker budget should be spent on fronts vs center vs surrounds vs subwoofer in both 5.1 & 7.1 scenarios?

Thanks for your opinions
As was stated, hard to assign a % to a breakdown.
It seems that you are doing this from scratch? Including your room?
You cut corners on the room, your audio will suffer no matter what.
You skimp on the video, you will have a great sound and a weak video and your enjoyment will suffer.
You have a great picture but a weak audio, your missing out.

Make sure you don't ruch things or you will be remodeling before you finish, or pay the interest later for the mistakes. Plan ahead, well.

Maybe have several plans? Professional help in planning?

R

RMK!

alandamp said:
There is definitely nothing wrong with having a budget. In fact, like you, I encourage it. However, the question at hand was what percentage of that budget for each component. If there was a way to guarantee performance by following percentage guidelines then I would say go for it. Since there are so many products to choose from and so many personal preferences and requirements to take into consideration, I think it would be foolish to throw out percentages and pretend like they are gospel for everyone to follow.

I still say focus your budget on what is important to you.

I guess I'm different than you alandamp, I don't consider my opinions "gospel for everyone to follow".

racquetman

racquetman

Audioholic Chief
hidog1 said:
I guess I'm different than you alandamp, I don't consider my opinions "gospel for everyone to follow".
Is that what I said? Are you upset I dare comment about your comment? :confused: :confused:

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

alandamp said:
Is that what I said? Are you upset I dare comment about your comment? :confused: :confused:
I guess you got to watch what you say ? Some want their posted opinions unchallenged :D

H

hopjohn

Full Audioholic
QED said:

Thanks for your opinions
I think it is important to view your system as ever growing. If you are in this hobby long enough you'll find that there will always be something you'd like to upgrade to, that's just how technology works. Rather than spending time trying to breakdown %s, work on finding components which have good synergy that highlight the type of experience you prefer. (i.e. low bass extension, large display...etc.)

Since many manufacturers design speakers packages to work seamlessly (exception given to the subwoofer in many instances) you'll find that the percentages are inconsequential. It is more important that they fit within your budget as a whole, and that they work well together to provide optimum sound quality.

ducker

ducker

Full Audioholic
I did a similar play... I have a decent 27" sony wega (about 4 years old) It has a nice clear/clean picture. I had zero home audio... So when I went about planning my HT on a budget, I excluded a TV for now, since my current one will work. I fully expect to drop over 1k for a nice new DLP or some such in a year or two... That being said, I spend around 1350ish for my system. I wouldn't really of been able to get much for quality sound if I had to spend less then 1k for a receiver/speaker/cables/etc... and a TV as well.

majorloser

majorloser

hopjohn said:
I think it is important to view your system as ever growing. If you are in this hobby long enough you'll find that there will always be something you'd like to upgrade to, that's just how technology works. Rather than spending time trying to breakdown %s, work on finding components which have good synergy that highlight the type of experience you prefer. (i.e. low bass extension, large display...etc.)

Since many manufacturers design speakers packages to work seamlessly (exception given to the subwoofer in many instances) you'll find that the percentages are inconsequential. It is more important that they fit within your budget as a whole, and that they work well together to provide optimum sound quality.
GREAT ADVICE!

I always say that you should look at your system as something that will always get improvements. This is why I never suggest the top-of-the-line (unless you have plenty of money). Like any hobby, as you get further into it, your interests or expectations my increase. You can build on your system as you go.

But, as a good cornerstone for your system, pick quality speakers.

QED

QED

Audioholic Intern
Thanks for the opinions...I think I like Scorrpio's answer.

Yes, mtrycrafts I am starting from scratch, but my room budget is seperate from my equipment budget because it is part of a complete basement remodel which is a "permanent improvement."

One of my main concerns is indeed the speaker budget. Since I'll be using in-walls all around, they won't be as easy to replace as an electronic component.

Getting more to my point in asking this question, some have advised using identical speakers for fronts & surrounds, while others have said it is a waste of money to spend big $ on surround speakers since they provide a very small percentage of the overall sound. If I do spend less money on surrounds I could redirect significant resources to the other components.

What say you to this?

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
My opinion....

1. In-wall speakers are not good. Well, that's a bit harsh, they are just very poor in sound quality compared to floor standing models at the same price point. The love of in-walls is completely understandable, but without spending two or three times as much as you would on a floor standing speaker, you won't get the same sound.

2. I wouldn't invest as much in the surrounds personally.

3. If the room is at all condusive to front projection, that is the way I would go for video.

4. New construction? Prewire, prewire, prewire, prewire.... repeat. I wired for conduit for plasma and projection as well as 10.1 surround with retro access available if necessary. Overkill? Sure, but it was 100 bucks for 500 feet of cable and would be a lot more than that to tear out some drywall later.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

BMXTRIX said:
My opinion....
4. New construction? Prewire, prewire, prewire, prewire.... repeat. I wired for conduit for plasma and projection as well as 10.1 surround with retro access available if necessary. Overkill? Sure, but it was 100 bucks for 500 feet of cable and would be a lot more than that to tear out some drywall later.

Yep, wire is cheap. Remodeling? Well, that gets expensive in a hurry :D

QED

QED

Audioholic Intern
If I had a choice, I wouldn't go with in-walls but space & traffic considerations dictate this course of action. Also my kids are a bit wild & it would only be a matter of time before in-room speakers would be damaged.

Remodelling is indeed expensive, lucky for me I'm a DIY'er so I've done almost all the work myself, including electrical, hvac, carpentry & etc, leaving more money for equipment.

Last edited:
majorloser

majorloser

I would never say, "Don't go with in-wall speakers"!

You just have to be willing to spend more to get good quality.

If you have money to spend, take a look at Triad or M&K
Triad makes some REALLY nice in-wall systems.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis