Tweeters blown, why? Onkyo TXNR585 Amp and Fluance Signature Speakers

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Oh and for the passive bi-amping thing....https://www.audioholics.com/frequent-questions/the-difference-between-biamping-vs-biwiring

Teetertotter?

Teetertotter?

Senior Audioholic
Nothing could be more True. Some can take advise and others not. I have hearing loss and have aids....lol

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Question...
So he said the iPhone was only at 3/4 volume. From my experience with that, I do believe that the volume wouldn’t be insane.(guessing 80-85db?)
Since the input signal is reduced at the phone, does it matter that much for the output stage of the amp? Meaning would the amp clip less or more, or the same. I do seem to recall in some older iPhones that they didn’t like driving the 3.5 with the phone volume maxed, and seemed to clean up if they were bumped down 3 or 4 notches.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
87 is loud on this system but trust me nothing anybody couldn't handle. All channel stereo is really the best setting for listening to music hands down on this setup here and come on man I didn't get on these forums to be asked to turn the stereo down. In fact I wouldn't be here at all if that was my prerogative.
I just checked and it actually goes to 96 but that doesn't matter all that much unless that's the reference volume scale you were talking about I guess.
I'm just thinking about my next home audio set up and wondering how one purchases something knowing it will get to the volume they'd like. I'm not joking this this wasn't going to run anyone out of the room at the volume I was listening to, but there must be a reason the speakers couldn't handle it.
My questions are, by the specs have I done anything wrong in matching this amplifier to these speakers?
If I were to have purchased a larger amplifier would I have been able to reach higher volumes without taxing the speakers as much?
Could these speakers handle more wattage, and was my turning an underpowered amplifier way up the culprit?

Again thanks for the responses I'm a novice and need some guidance before buying another setup.
I strongly disagree that all channel stereo is the best setting for music in any setup. I think you overestimated what that avr is capable of and you turned it up too loud. Generally speaking power specs for avrs are often overblown and even more importantly, usually rated with 2 channel operation in mind. All channel reduces the power output to each channel because ultimately you're pulling from the same source for all channels.

I would get away from an all channel stereo setting and get my speakers and system properly set up so it sounds like it should in regular stereo for music. Imaging and soundstage are a mess in all ch and you might actually be able to hit higher spl cleanly when you're not over taxing your amp. Another consideration would be a powerful separate amp like the Monolith 7 if you insist on using all channels.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Gotta be honest I had no any idea how little $1300 got you in the audio game.
TLS GUY, when you say 5 channel stereo where's the 5th channel come in if I have 4 speakers connected?

Got a few questions for everyone to help me buy a new set up so try and bear with my lack of knowledge here.

Going off you TLS, if an amplifier boasts X watts per channel I'm simply to take the number of channels i'm using and divide that into X to see how many watts each speaker receives? In my case 170 watts per channel from the amp divided by 4 channels? Hell I actually forgot to mention the floor speakers are bi amped so would I now divide 170 by 6?
Like I said, power ratings for most avrs are 2 channel specs. The more speakers you engage, the less power you get per channel. Unless you get a beast amplifier like the Monolith 7 I suggested above. It will give you an honest 200 wpc x7 (and then some).
I'm really trying to figure out how to purchase a nice home audio set up and I'll spend the money but this experience leaves me very afraid of purchasing something more expensive and doing the same thing because I don't understand the math involved to match the amp to the speaker system. Anyone got a golden rule sort of thing to guide me here?

Thanks again guys
This kills me. You want a nice home audio setup, but you're using sound modes for stereo music that detract from the experience by messing up the soundstage and stereo image. You seem willing to learn and have been given some great advice. I suggest you do some more homework before plopping down another chunk of change on more gear. Work on optimizing setup, toe in, speaker placement, etc. There's a lot more influence from your room than most folks realize. Properly set up, a stereo image can have sounds in the mix that seem to come from behind or beside you.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
A better amp might be able to hit the loudness levels that you want without frying the tweeters.
I would agree with you only because you use the word "might". The way the OP seemed to indicate what he might do, if he gets more power, such as 200 WPC, is to still turn the volume to 87/96 or higher. In that case, he would not only blow the tweeters, but may blow the other drivers too, based on the speaker's 30-120 W power handling spec., depending on the kind of music and how long he would have it at such high volume.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis