Tweeter Replacement

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
I have a VMPS 626 with an MTM design. One of the tweeters is not working properly which caused Audyssey to have a fit during an EQ session. The cabinet is 9" wide, 12" deep and 22.5" tall.

The current tweeter is a Phillips AD 11401 T8. It's a soft dome. The cutout for the tweeter is 3.25" or 82mm with a 10mm lip on all sides. The cabinets are nice looking and well built. I would like to replace the tweeters on both speakers and keep them but if not replace everything for a new updated design.

Any suggestions on a quality tweeter that others have used that might work with this MTM design. I understand the xo will likely need adjustments. Thank you!

333.png
222.png

Last edited:
Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
Does it have an "AD" number on it? I looked on ebay under "Philips tweeter"

and most are listed with an "AD" designation followed by other numbers.

This one looks very similar to yours but I can't se them side by side obviously.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
On the back it has Philips AD 11401 t8. I found this at parts express but its not available.

Nice nips. :)
Here ya go

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I have a VMPS 626 with an MTM design. One of the tweeters is not working properly which caused Audyssey to have a fit during an EQ session. The cabinet is 9" wide, 12" deep and 22.5" tall.

The current tweeter is a Phillips AD 11401 T8. It's a soft dome. The cutout for the tweeter is 3.25" or 82mm with a 10mm lip on all sides. The cabinets are nice looking and well built. I would like to replace the tweeters on both speakers and keep them but if not replace everything for a new updated design.

Any suggestions on a quality tweeter that others have used that might work with this MTM design. I understand the xo will likely need adjustments. Thank you!

View attachment 40534View attachment 40535
Well first off they are lousy tweeters, and low powered.

So you are looking for an 8 ohm tweeter, from the DC resistance. These are getting hard to find, as impedances have moved to 6 or 4 ohm. You are looking for an 8 ohm soft dome tweeter with a sensitivity around 91 db, so you don't have to mess with the crossover.

The tweeter is 4.1" but other wise would be a perfect replacement. It is 0.5 db more sensitive, but you won't hear that. The tweeter has about the same cut out. It does not have a lip and the cabinet should have a rebate out to 4.1 inches. So there is a minimal mod, unless you can some how remove the lip form your tweeters and put it on these.

Scanspeak make excellent tweeters, and this would be a significant upgrade to your speakers.

Last edited:
V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General

So you are looking for an 8 ohm tweeter, from the DC resistance. These are getting hard to find, as impedances have moved to 6 or 4 ohm. You are looking for an 8 ohm soft dome tweeter with a sensitivity around 91 db, so you don't have to mess with the crossover.

The tweeter is 4.1" but other wise would be a perfect replacement. It is 0.5 db more sensitive, but you won't hear that. The tweeter has about the same cut out. It does not have a lip and the cabinet should have a rebate out to 4.1 inches. So there is a minimal mod, unless you can some how remove the lip form your tweeters and put it on these.

Scanspeak make excellent tweeters, and this would be a significant upgrade to your speakers.
Thank you for the idea, I might go that way. What do you think of the Morel CAT 298? it has an 89 sensitivity, 8 ohms and a wider freq. range. The 626 cabinet has a built in tweeter volume control (L-Pad) on the rear of the cabinet.

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Thank you for the idea, I might go that way. What do you think of the Morel CAT 298? it has an 89 sensitivity, 8 ohms and a wider freq. range. The 626 cabinet has a built in tweeter volume control (L-Pad) on the rear of the cabinet.
My choice is a much better match. You will see again, that the Morel is actually a 6 ohm tweeter and that is enough to change the crossover frequency without a crossover mod. In addition my choice has am acoustic response that is a much closer match.

If those speakers have a tweeter volume control, that may be your problem as to why the tweeter is not working properly. Those controls almost invariably give trouble when they get old. They are a really bad idea. They are absolute evidence of design incompetence, and shout loud and clear that the designer does not know how to balance his speakers. You should get rid of those and replace them with high quality fixed resistors.

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
My choice is a much better match. You will see again, that the Morel is actually a 6 ohm tweeter and that is enough to change the crossover frequency without a crossover mod. In addition my choice has am acoustic response that is a much closer match.

If those speakers have a tweeter volume control, that may be your problem as to why the tweeter is not working properly. Those controls almost invariably give trouble when they get old. They are a really bad idea. They are absolute evidence of design incompetence, and shout loud and clear that the designer does not know how to balance his speakers. You should get rid of those and replace them with high quality fixed resistors.
I ordered two of the the ScanSpeak Discovery D2608/9130 tweeters you suggested. Hopefully, they will match well in the 626 without a need to revamp the crossover. Thank you for your input!

I tested the old tweeter and indeed it's dead and a different tweeter I tried in the box worked but was not a quality match for the crossover. Dead tweeters make a great paper weight on a metal desk. They grab hard. :D

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General

@TLS Guy - Thank you for the ScanSpeak Discovery D2608/9130 tweeter recommendation for the VMPS 606. I installed it and it gives the speaker new life. It adds a nice updated silky Tweeter sound while working well with the two other drivers in the MTM cabinet.

Below is a chart comparing the stock 606 versus with the new ScanSpeak Discovery D2608/9130 Tweeter. You can see its a close match while adding some extra highs.

606 stock vs with ScanSpeak D2608.png

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Are you going to replace the other tweeter now for a matched pair?

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
Are you going to replace the other tweeter now for a matched pair?
Yes, I wanted to chart the old vs new. I just installed the 2nd ScanSpeak Discovery D2608/9130 Tweeter in the other VMPS 606 cabinet. These 606 speakers were sold in 1991 before Audyssey Dynamic EQ existed. They don't need it at all. :p

Once I installed the second tweeter I setup the 606 as a stereo pair with Audyssey turned off while playing the Nils Lofgren "Keith Don't Go" track. They blew me away. HUGE tower like bass and tweeters that sound as gorgeous as my RAAL tweeters but with a little more edge.

This is a great upgrade for $160. The speakers sound like a new 2020 high quality product instead of 29 year old speakers. I just wanted to get the speaker working again. This is so much better than I hoped! Special Thanks to @TLS Guy!

Now that I have heard these, I'm thinking about buying eight more D2608/9130 Tweeters and using them to replace the ones in my VMPS DiPole surrounds. That would provide a nice upgrade.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah but they're from the time when a loudness contour was often used on 2ch receivers! Glad it worked out for ya!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis