Tweaking/upgrading my 2.1 setup

shk

shk

Audiophyte
Hi there, just wanted to say first that it's great to be here. I finally found a place for my audio questions! :)

I have 2 Aperion 532-LR speakers and an Aperion S-10 sub powered by a Denon AVR-1507. This is all hooked up via digital interconnect to my computer's onboard digital coaxial.

1. Should I invest in a separate soundcard? I have a spare Creative Audigy 2 but it's so old that I'm not even sure it beats my onboard audio (8-channel HD: high-quality 192KHz/24-bit output, jack-sensing feature, retasking functions, and multi-streaming technology). My onboard has SPDIF optical and coaxial out; I'm using the coax.

2. Would a better receiver (say an Outlaw RR2150) or one dedicated to stereo sound produce a very noticeable improvement?

3. Is there anything I have to do in windows to optimize the sound? Right now I'm playing high-bitrate or lossless audio from foobar2000.

thanks for your time.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Welcome to the forum!

To try to answer your first question: I found a huge improvement when I added an Audigy 2ZS sound card to my system, but I'm using the analog outputs. I wouldn't expect much of a difference, if any, if you're using the digital output like you are.

Gimpy Ric

Gimpy Ric

Hey shk, Welcome to the board!

The Outlaw RR 2150 looks like a great reciever. With 100 watts going to your mains, and the rest to your sub, it would be a slight improvement at higher volume levels. It has pre-amp outs so you could always add an external amp, if you need more oomph.

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Receiver upgrade?

SHK,
The speakers (and room) are the most important components of your audio system and I doubt the slight power increase of the rotel will provide much benefit. The Denon should be close to its 75 Watt rating for 2 channel playback and during normal listing you are probably using a few watts.

The PC digital output and lossless audio tracks sound fine. I think Windows is more likely to degrade the audio quality than to improve it with EQ. M-Audio makes some sound cards with high quality analog outputs. Might be an improvemnt over the D/A conversion on your receiver.

shk

shk

Audiophyte
I think I will stick to my current setup for now (I still have a month to try it out) and if anything I may just go for better speakers.

Thanks for clearing everything up guys. =)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis