R

rack04

Junior Audioholic
I'm looking at buying an HDTV in the near future. I will be using TWC set top box for the HD signal. Do I need to buy a tv with a built in tuner, or is that what the set top box does? Thanks.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
You don't need to buy a tv with a built-in tuner because the set top box will tune the HD channels. However, if you buy a new tv, you will get a tuner anyway - FCC mandates that they are included now.

An internal tuner is not such a bad thing. It gives you flexibility to get OTA channels (with an antenna) and it can be used as a second source for Picture in Picture.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I believe you can get them without the tuner. They are just called 'monitors' instead of televisions. Like a computer monitor does not have built in video capabilities, it just displays what you send it. A 'plasma monitor' displays whatever video you send to it. You can cut some cost off your total for sure if this is the route you decide to go. Several decent sub 2 grand plasmas out there that can make people happy.

L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
BMXTRIX said:
I believe you can get them without the tuner. They are just called 'monitors' instead of televisions. Like a computer monitor does not have built in video capabilities, it just displays what you send it.
BMX, are any of those completely free of tuners ? The "monitors" I've seen may not have an HDTV tuner, but DO have an on-air tuner. I would really like to be able to buy a display-unit only with no speakers, tuners, or other attachments. Let me plug in video feed from the DVD and the rest could not even be there.

I think it's a waste to get a bunch of junk amplifiers and speakers in a TV that have to be shrunk and underpowered when I've got six or seven grand in "real" audio equipment just waiting to be fed.

I guess the closest thing to my dream would be a projector, but that doesn't fit in my living space.

R

rack04

Junior Audioholic
Here is the HDTV that I am looking at. Does anyone know what connections are on the STP from Time Warner Cable (i.e. DVI, HDMI, Component)? Also, will I require anything additional besides their STB to watch HD?

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I would double check with someone whether that TV takes 720p input on any of the HD inputs. That is a NATIVE 720p set, but it looks like it has done about the most absurd thing possible... it does not list 720p as one of the accepted inputs. This is a very, VERY big failure on the part of any TV manufacturer to not accept the 4 standard video formats of 480i, 480p, 720p, and 1080i.

While I am not sure what your STB has for outputs, my guess is that it includes component and either HDMI or DVI. Depending on the digital connection, you could use the appropriate cable converter if needed... or just use component.

Leprkon, I believe that 'commercial' Pioneer plasmas do not ship with any cards at all. You have to get a component input card and video card completely after-market if you want to make any connections to the monitor.

R

rack04

Junior Audioholic
Product Details
Warranty Terms - Parts 1 year
Warranty Terms - Labour 1 year
Product Height 35-1/8"
Product Width 58-1/2"
Product Weight 85 lbs.
Product Length 15-1/4"
Screen Size 52"
Aspect Ratio 16:9
Display Type DLP Projection
Digitally Compatible Yes
Horizontal Resolution 720
Digital Capabilities HD-ready
Vertical Scanning Lines (Native Mode) 1080i
Pixels 1280 x 720
Active Light Control Yes
Comb Filter 3D Y/C digital
Digital Convergence No
Picture-In-Picture Yes (2-tuner)
S-Video Inputs 3 (1 front)
Component Video Inputs 2
Composite Input 3 (1 front)
Front A/V Inputs Yes
A/V Outputs 1
Audio Outputs 1 (fixed and variable)
Watts/Channel 10W
Speakers 2
RF Antenna Input 2
Simulated Surround Yes
Sound Leveler Yes
Language Options English, French, Spanish
Bass Reflex Woofer No
V-Chip Yes
Sleep/Alarm Timer Yes
Channel Labeling Yes
Commercial Skip Function No
Remote Control Type Universal
Antenna Included Yes
Is this what you're looking for?

Last edited:
M

Mark Duncan

Junior Audioholic
Rack04. I just read the manual for the Toshiba DLP. If you are going to use a HTPC, don't get this set. It said in the manual not for use with a PC. Check it out before buying if that is a concern... It would be for me...

Also check about the 720p format. In widescreen mode, it looks like you can only select 480i, 480p, or 1080i, which makes no sense since the native resolution of the set is 720p???

Mark

D

djoxygen

Full Audioholic
The TWC HD cable boxes (with built-in DVR) are Scientific Atlanta 8000HD and 8300HD, at least in the Minneapolis area. Both of them have DVI and component outputs. I know they do 1080i, and I think they can do 720p as well. The 8000 requires a software/firmware update to enable the DVI out, and I've heard many a tale of woe with bugs in the DVR functions. I'd recommend pushing TWC to give you the 8300. (Also, US cable companies are required to give you FireWire I/O if you ask, so that's something else you may want to explore if you want to record to your PC/Mac.)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis