TV wall mounting questions?

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
I have the Sony 55X900E and actually love it. A little not happy they aren't giving us 900E owners Dolby Vision but they never promised it so whatever right. Anyway I have the 900E on a flat wall mount but decided I'm not really liking that so I ordered the Kanto M300 full motion mount. Swivels, tilts and extends up to 19.6 inches which is what I need it to do mostly. See I had a 52 inch on a full motion mount probably 10 inches or so off the wall. The new 55 inch flat against doesn't look as big as I would like it to. Hind sight is I should have spent a bit more for the 65 inch but this is the best I can do now.
Also I am thinking about doing this remount myself. When I take the TV off the wall should I just place it on the couch? Should I face it against the cushions screen first or back of the TV while I install the mount? should I do something else? Thanks for any help. Oh and moving the 55 inch in 19.6 inches will make it just about 10 feet away from the seating position. I think it will make a difference.

Last edited:
jliedeka

jliedeka

Audioholic General
I think the main thing is to put the TV where it won't get damaged. I've put TVs on couches and leaned them against. The screen will probably be ok if you lean it screen first but if you can keep it stable the other way, that would be best.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Whenever I take mine down to clean or whatever, we just lift it off the wall mount and walk straight over to the couch and set it on the cushions leaning the screen against the back cushions. On jobs, I’ve also put down a soft blanket and layer them screen side down. Good to see ya kickin around het.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
While you're at it, you may also consider redoing some electrical / cabling to incorporate a recessed outlet.

I have a similar one for my plasma that I still need to install - just been waiting til I am certain of which wall it will live out its days on!

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
It doesn't really matter how you lay it down as long as you aren't crushing any buttons (which is rare these days). Face down on cardboard, carpet, against a wall, against the couch, whatever. Make sure it's STABLE when you put it down. I typically put it on the carpet and lean it against the couch face first. But, back first, face first, whatever. It just doesn't matter as long as it is stable and nothing you are leaning it against can damage it.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Well it's on the new mount and to be quite honest I am stunned, completely astonished at the difference the TV looks 20 inches closer. 4k suddenly looks amazing and HDR looks the way I thought it would. I am blown away by what 20 inches closer did to the viewing experience. The Kanto M300 is really nice, I recommend it very much. Really cool looking extended off the wall. Looks like it's floating in the air. I am more pleased than I thought I'd be.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

R

Randy Hess

Enthusiast
I think the main thing is to put the TV where it won't get damaged. I've put TVs on couches and leaned them against. The screen will probably be ok if you lean it screen first but if you can keep it stable the other way, that would be best.
I agree, the position where it is most stable and protected is best.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
It's 20 inches closer and the result is pretty amazing. Won't ever make up for the mistake of not buying a the 65 inch but it looks awesome at the distance it is now.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis