TV has True-HD DTS but not Reciever, how to benefit from Blue Ray ?

V

vxcalais01

Audioholic Intern
If my LCD Tv has True HD-DTS MA(Samsung B750) is there anyway i can benefit from this through the Pioneer 519 reciever(does not have True HD) and speakers with a Blue Ray movie with the new sound formats ? Or will i only get the benefit if plugged in direct to the LCD and using TV speakers ?

Thanks.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
TVs generally can't decode TrueHD or dts-HD - they simply downconvert to stereo internally. Though some may be able to pass this on to the receiver, it won't be the full blown decoded stream I suspect; it will be the "core" version. You won't really hear the benefits of these audio formats on TV speakers. If your receiver doesn't support the formats, try setting the player to pass as PCM instead of bitstream and see if you get sound from the receiver.

S

skers_54

Full Audioholic
TVs generally can't decode TrueHD or dts-HD - they simply downconvert to stereo internally. Though some may be able to pass this on to the receiver, it won't be the full blown decoded stream I suspect; it will be the "core" version. You won't really hear the benefits of these audio formats on TV speakers. If your receiver doesn't support the formats, try setting the player to pass as PCM instead of bitstream and see if you get sound from the receiver.
Yep. His receiver has a repeater and can accept multichannel PCM, so setting the player to PCM should work just fine.

V

vxcalais01

Audioholic Intern
Thanks for the replies. For a person learning the ropes when it comes to recievers, home audio, it has been an excellent forum, and people willing to give you advice. Thanks again.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis