TV for console gaming

jliedeka

jliedeka

Audioholic General
Besides BluRays and streaming, my TV gets a lot of use from Xbox games. I'll probably replace my plasma TV next year to get something more modern that supports HDR. So OLED or LCD?

There's a lot of noise about OLED having burn-in issues from HUDs that are always on screen. They said the same thing about plasma and I've been gaming on my plasma TVs for years without issues.

Is the OLED thing overblown?
Also, are LCD TVs better for HDR content?

Jim

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Besides BluRays and streaming, my TV gets a lot of use from Xbox games. I'll probably replace my plasma TV next year to get something more modern that supports HDR. So OLED or LCD?

There's a lot of noise about OLED having burn-in issues from HUDs that are always on screen. They said the same thing about plasma and I've been gaming on my plasma TVs for years without issues.

Jim
If I were to replace my plasma it would be with an OLED that supported variable refresh rates and all the other new tech that game consoles/PCs can take advantage of.

Rtings is a great place to see what is and isn't recommended for gaming as well as normal movie/TV viewing.

allfred

allfred

Enthusiast
Sometimes I wonder if it is worth buying a 4k TV now for gaming.
So this is the big catch that most of us ignore. Most PS4 Pro games are under 4k and both the Pro and XBox One X have modes that run under 4k for some games. Then we ve got the fact that HDR TVs are 4K TVs so if you want to enjoy HDR on your XBOX S or PS4 vanilla you have to buy a 4K TV.
But.....any content that is below 4K requires upscaling, and upscaling means that the input lag is much higher than what is normally stated by the manufacturer.
So if I bought a 4K TV for my Vanilla PS4 I would have been experiencing much more lag for my fighting games like Tekken 7.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Sometimes I wonder if it is worth buying a 4k TV now for gaming.
So this is the big catch that most of us ignore. Most PS4 Pro games are under 4k and both the Pro and XBox One X have modes that run under 4k for some games. Then we ve got the fact that HDR TVs are 4K TVs so if you want to enjoy HDR on your XBOX S or PS4 vanilla you have to buy a 4K TV.
But.....any content that is below 4K requires upscaling, and upscaling means that the input lag is much higher than what is normally stated by the manufacturer.
So if I bought a 4K TV for my Vanilla PS4 I would have been experiencing much more lag for my fighting games like Tekken 7.
Most TV's also have a specific gaming mode designed to reduce lag. Rtings usually tests that function as well, so it would be a good resource for you as well.

allfred

allfred

Enthusiast
Most TV's also have a specific gaming mode designed to reduce lag. Rtings usually tests that function as well, so it would be a good resource for you as well.
I'll check it out. Thanks

Trophykage

Trophykage

Audioholic Intern

Jim
I personally love my Q9fn especially for how much gaming I do on it. They can get blindingly bright, so maybe do some adjusting depending on your room lighting. As far as PQ goes I still think OLED is top, though I love the QLEDs with full array lighting it just doesn’t get as pitch black as the OLED TVs. Watched quite a few movies on OLED at a friends house, tho I can’t say exactly how they perform on games.

Some of the newer LG OLEDs also have HDMI 2.1 support so you can get 120hz refresh rates. According to Phil Spencer at Xbox they said they will be targeting higher frame rate support with Series X, so that might be a consideration too.

I also agree to check Rtings. They have some awesome breakdowns showing refresh rates for gaming as well as all other aspects of the TV.

Last edited:
panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I personally love my Q9fn especially for how much gaming I do on it. They can get blindingly bright, so maybe do some adjusting depending on your room lighting. As far as PQ goes I still think OLED is top, though I love the QLEDs with full array lighting it just doesn’t get as pitch black as the OLED TVs. Watched quite a few movies on OLED at a friends house, tho I can’t say exactly how they perform on games.

Some of the newer LG OLEDs also have HDMI 2.1 support so you can get 120hz refresh rates. According to Phil Spencer at Xbox they said they will be targeting higher frame rate support with Series X, so that might be a consideration too.

I also agree to check Rtings. They have some awesome breakdowns showing refresh rates for gaming as well as all other aspects of the TV.
Not just that, but the newer LGs also support variable frame rates which is an excellent feature. Have it on my PC monitor and it makes a big difference in quality.

Trophykage

Trophykage

Audioholic Intern
Not just that, but the newer LGs also support variable frame rates which is an excellent feature. Have it on my PC monitor and it makes a big difference in quality.
I don’t have experience with VRR personally as I pretty much only play consoles, but I can for sure see the major benefits while using it on PC! Im waiting to see what Samsung is going to bring to the market rumored to be a hybrid QD OLED panel before I take the plunge into OLED. That and better integration of the HDMI 2.1 across the major OLED brands lineup.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I don’t have experience with VRR personally as I pretty much only play consoles, but I can for sure see the major benefits while using it on PC! Im waiting to see what Samsung is going to bring to the market rumored to be a hybrid QD OLED panel before I take the plunge into OLED. That and better integration of the HDMI 2.1 across the major OLED brands lineup.
Supposedly the new consoles will have support for VRR.

It's really nice to have when a game can go from 120fps to 60fps and anything in between. Or even lower. It really is something to see.

Trophykage

Trophykage

Audioholic Intern
Supposedly the new consoles will have support for VRR.

It's really nice to have when a game can go from 120fps to 60fps and anything in between. Or even lower. It really is something to see.
Yeah, that’s why I’m looking into the upgrade next year for PS5 and eventually Xbox. When I did play PC a few years back Gsync was a game changer when I had a 144hz 1440p setup, so I totally believe in the variable refresh rate systems for games.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Yeah, that’s why I’m looking into the upgrade next year for PS5 and eventually Xbox. When I did play PC a few years back Gsync was a game changer when I had a 144hz 1440p setup, so I totally believe in the variable refresh rate systems for games.
I'll be getting a ps5 for sure. Xbox not so much since the exclusives will all be on windows anyway. I don't want to get a new tv for my office just yet since my plasma is so good, but these new consoles and tvs that support PC stuff FINALLY have me thinking.

Trophykage

Trophykage

Audioholic Intern
I'll be getting a ps5 for sure. Xbox not so much since the exclusives will all be on windows anyway. I don't want to get a new tv for my office just yet since my plasma is so good, but these new consoles and tvs that support PC stuff FINALLY have me thinking.
That’s the cool thing I like that Xbox is doing having their games supported on PC and game pass too! I’m hoping 2.1 support hits most of the lineups next year because I’ve been getting the OLED itch for a while, but I want to make sure They have the features I need.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis