TV/Audio Stand materials

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I'd like to leave the unit open on all sides for ventilation, with the exception of putting a 6" to 8" wide brace in the rear with 2" holes, for wire management and support. Weight wise the Yamaha RX-V2700 AVR is 38lbs., per manual, and the other components (DVR & Blu-ray components) can't be more than 10 lbs. total. But I want to future proof it, just in case I pickup another Oppo or a more powerful AVR. The center channel shelf (right under the top shelf) must be able to support anything from 15 to 35 pounds. The bottom shelf will only be used for spare components that I will occasionally use (cassette, VCR, etc.), so I'm not too worried about that.

Any recommendations on what type of wood? Everything I've researched points to a hardwood maple.
Maple is great, but using solid wood will be very expensive and if the lumber hasn't been dried properly, it won't be stable. Plywood is used for cabinetry for a very good reason- it generally just sits there once it has been built. Since most of the cabinet will never be seen after it has been built and filled with equipment, why not use plywood and cover the exterior with veneer? BTW- 'veneer' doesn't need to be paper-thin. If the builder has the ability and equipment to re-saw lumber, you can make the veneer thicker and determine where the grain is book-matched or in some other orientation. If the band saw is set up properly for this, they can cut it 1/8" thick, which gives you a higher yield from a single board with more grain options than simple quarter-sawn, rift or plain sliced, as the usual veneer offers. Also, if Maple doesn't work with your furniture, there's no reason to use it. Oak works well and if you have Arts & Craft/Craftsman/Mission, White Oak would be the "correct" wood choice, although Douglas Fir and Cedar were also commonly used at the time.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis