TV Audio Keeps Dropping Out Through Denon 3500 Receiver

ClairET

Audioholic Intern
Hi all,

I just got a Denon 3500 receiver. When I watch an input like blu-ray, I have the receiver OSD and all is well with audio. When I switch to my TV (Sony 65XBR850G) the receiver will play audio for a second, then nothing. The receiver is connected to the TV via the same new UHD rated HDMI cable. I can’t figure out what is preventing the audio pass through. Also, there is no receiver OSD through that connection.

Am I to have connected a second cable somewhere? I don’t see anything in the manual saying I need anything but one compatible HDMI cable, but can’t see how I would get any receiver OSD info via the one connection. What am I missing?

Thanks!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Have you checked your tv's audio setup? Assume that you're using apps or over-the-air content on the tv and audio is setup for ARC? You want audio via the avr rather than the tv's own speakers I take it, or are you trying to use the tv speakers? What are your settings for HDMI in the Denon video/hdmi setup menu? Alternately, you could use an optical cable from tv to avr for audio (its pretty much the same audio with the exception of DD+ for Atmos metadata).

OSD not available with ARC maybe this thread helps https://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/osd-with-smart-tv.113841/

ClairET

Audioholic Intern
I figured I may be out of luck on the OSD portion. Reading up on the linked thread above, I guess I've always had multiple sources going through the TV, so was getting OSD that way. This is the first time I've actually had nothing but a Blu-Ray and TV hooked up to a receiver. Previous to this purchase, I could only run audio via optical from the TV down, so had no OSD at all. Wishful thinking I suppose. I like not having the extra components and cables running all over for once, so I'll live with no OSD when watching TV. At least the Denon display is much more readable from the viewing distance, so I'll just deal with it. Still really nice having the large on screen menus. I guess we need a video return channel VRC as well as an ARC, but based on my purchase history, if that came our tomorrow, I'd have it somewhere around 2030!

I may have figured out the audio dropout piece. I had a second UHD rated HDMI cable and swapped it out. The second I connected it, the audio automatically switched from TV to receiver on its own. I've powered things off and on and switched inputs multiple times and it has held. Switching inputs was were things were going bad before. I think I got a bad cable! I'll keep testing. Sorry for the seemingly rookie post, but it had me scratching my head. Should have thought more about the OSD thing too. Thought they were related.

Thanks!

G

Grandzoltar

Full Audioholic
I have the Sony 950g and Denon x3400. I have experienced similar problems switching between apps on tv audio the sound will drop. I am using the 3rd earc hdmi input and enabling earc on TV set to auto. Maybe try a standard hdmi arc input. I think the implementation of earc may be buggy. If me and you are experiencing this it should be brought to Sony’s attention.

ClairET

Audioholic Intern
I'll see how things go with the alternate cable. Thing is, it was working just fine, but then this issue crept up. I just read a few negative reviews about the cable and some folks were saying the cables weren't as advertised. With 2700+ 4.5 average reviews, I would have though the cables were a safe bet, but there just may be enough differences in implementation for some of us to experience issues? Don't know. If I continue to have this issue with my other cable, then yes, I'm all in for notifying Sony. At this point, my TV is still returnable, so I may have a stronger voice.

Sad the 950G does the same if this really is a Sony issue. It's the model I really wanted, but restricted to a smaller budget. I much prefer the Android TV interface to some of the other brands, though I'm almost 100% Apple on everything else. Didn't like the interface on Samsung and while they had better blacks, they seem to artificially crush them. Vizio was too laggy. Didn't like the picture on most anything else.

We also had far too many devices, remotes and cables running all around, so cleaning things up was part of the motivation to go with the Sony interface. Wife can't be happier with having one remote to do everything. Before it was Roku remote for streaming, Apple TV for airplay, TV remote for TV functions, receiver remote for volume on/off...nothing anyone else isn't far too familiar with, along with the act of constantly disappearing remotes. But then there's the issue of this post. I'm hoping it was nothing more than the cable. We'll see...

Funny...you used to buy a TV for its picture and now you have all this other stuff to consider!

ClairET

Audioholic Intern
What brand hdmi cable was it.
Wow, I just realized the brand is PowerBear! I literally went by reviews and not brand name. Just looked for something that said it was compatible with highest rating. Only discovered the few low reviews stating they misrepresent HDR support after reading them this morning. I could have gotten Monster Cable for $2 more, but that was a 40 mile drive across town. Would have been worth it. The one that is working is iVanky. Audio auto switched from TV to Receiver who I plugged it in. Before I had to select it manually. Receiver also didn't auto detect 4k HDR support now that I think of it. That should have been a clue, but I just thought of it.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Wow, I just realized the brand is PowerBear! I literally went by reviews and not brand name. Just looked for something that said it was compatible with highest rating. Only discovered the few low reviews stating they misrepresent HDR support after reading them this morning. I could have gotten Monster Cable for $2 more, but that was a 40 mile drive across town. Would have been worth it. The one that is working is iVanky. Audio auto switched from TV to Receiver who I plugged it in. Before I had to select it manually. Receiver also didn't auto detect 4k HDR support now that I think of it. That should have been a clue, but I just thought of it.
Monster I don't support personally due all their nonsense but you can get good quality hdmi cables from Monoprice, Mediabridge and BlueJeansCables (can't say I've ever run across the brand Power Bear) as some sourcing suggestions. Keep in mind an hdmi cable is about bandwidth/speed, not the hdmi hardware designation in your gear.....

ClairET

Audioholic Intern
Monster I don't support personally due all their nonsense but you can get good quality hdmi cables from Monoprice, Mediabridge and BlueJeansCables (can't say I've ever run across the brand Power Bear) as some sourcing suggestions. Keep in mind an hdmi cable is about bandwidth/speed, not the hdmi hardware designation in your gear.....
I never even looked at the brand. I usually do. This time I saw the high reviewers and that they were flexible, which is what I wanted, so I bought them. Monoprice would have been my first choice, but Amazon was delivering the next day, so I went that route. Got burned by the bear!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I never even looked at the brand. I usually do. This time I saw the high reviewers and that they were flexible, which is what I wanted, so I bought them. Monoprice would have been my first choice, but Amazon was delivering the next day, so I went that route. Got burned by the bear!
Amazon "brands" can be tricky :)

ClairET

Audioholic Intern
BTW, not a single issue since the cable was changed. In fact, the TV now auto detects the receiver. When off, it automatically switches to TV speakers and back. That wasn’t happening previously.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis