Turntables: Any suggestions?

M

Mila

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>I have many many many albums that I havent listened to in a very long time. I'm looking for something in the B to A range. Anyone have some suggestions on this. My music tastes are varied and I would like to do some research before I schedule time in a listening room.</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>Check out Music Direct and Audio Advisor for selection and price range.</font>

M

Mila

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>music direct is a music review site.. what are the web addresses for these places?</font>

S

SHS

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>There doesn't seem to be much choice today unless you want to pay thousands of dollars. Basically there is Music Hall and Rega. I think NAD also still makes its 533. Almost everything else falls in 3 categories: (1) much lower quality, such as cheap TTs with a built-in RIAA pre-amp, (2) DJ turntables, and (3) extremely expensive high-end products.

But consider a used Thorens or Dual from their golden age - there are plenty of those on the market.</font>

T

troporobo

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>I went through the same exercise recently. &nbsp;In addition to Music Hall and Rega, you might consider Pro-ject and Thorens. &nbsp;All are well regarded for their prices. &nbsp;Reviews are easy to find.

Once you've decided, spend decent money on a cartridge. &nbsp;Then set up a good fluid-based cleaning system. &nbsp;If your LPs have sat unplayed for a long time they will definitely be in need of restoration. &nbsp;You can do well with manual methods, you don't need a machine (but you WILL want one!)

There's lots of advice and info onthe web. &nbsp;One place to start is The Vinyl Tourist, and cruise the links from there</font>

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis