Turntable spindle weight

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
Record experts: is there any need for a record weight if the record has no issues? I only bought one for the occasional slight warpage. But I am recording a lot of LP's at the moment and perhaps I should use it at least for recording. Or does it really do nothing with a flat LP? TT is a ProJect Debut Carbon with Red Ortofon.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Record experts: is there any need for a record weight if the record has no issues? I only bought one for the occasional slight warpage. But I am recording a lot of LP's at the moment and perhaps I should use it at least for recording. Or does it really do nothing with a flat LP? TT is a ProJect Debut Carbon with Red Ortofon.
If the vinyl is flat, the center weight is of no use. If a turntable has some irregular speed, the additional weight then might help stabilizing the speed.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I have never used a turntable weight. That is more audiophoolery.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Never used one in 50 years, can't say I even saw or heard of one being used for most of that time either, seems to be recent audiophoolery. Can't imagine it helping a tt maintain speed either unless it's a pretty poor tt, might even stress some designs (like direct drive). If you really have a bunch of warped records you must play perhaps a clamp might be better, but better just not to bother with warped records IMO.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
I do not have any records that are severely warped. I was just wondering if I was missing something. I guess not.
I get a kick out of some of the youtube videos where they supposedly have instructions on how to take care of your records and then they pinch the edge to remove it from the sleeve. About the only ones worthwhile are from the guy who invented the Vinyl Vac. He tells you how to build a lazy susan for cleaning. I can't remember if that was a video or on his site now that I think of it. But it is a great tool, the Vinyl Vac. Do a search man. He even gives you part numbers if you live near a Menards.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Pinching the edge of the vinyl helps create that wonderful sound of grit when you drop the stylus into that initial groove so you know what media is in use :)

I have still a Vac-O-Rec from way back.....use it as a dryer after I clean them with the Spin-Clean set. That vinylvac.net site is interesting, tho....

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
My new La Scalas would reveal that grit sound all too much!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Every speaker I've had is too revealing of such grit :) But that's vinyl.....

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis