Turntable Recommendations

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
I asked because I did some goggling :) and I didnt come across this fact about S shaped tone arrms and cartridge alignment. Owners manuals are a a legit source of info.

My old entry Radio Shack TT was a semi automatic euippeed with an S shaped tonearm and it produced lots of distortion towards the end of the record. The cartridge which was an entry level Shure must have been misaligned is my guess. The TT was a floating plinth design which I will never buy into again as this SOB skipped like crazy just by walking by. I made sure the tracking weight was set within the weight limits of the cartridge but it still skipped when walking by it. I hated it. So I stopped playing my vinyl (as I wanted to keep my records in good shape) at that point until I could afford a decent table.

I picked up the ProJect XpressionIII with an acrylic platter. It has a straight carbon fiber tone arm with a fixed or molded in head shell and an Ortofon Red. I can adjust the VTA on it by loosening a pair of screws at the base of the arm which is easy enough. I'm amazed at how quiet the XpressionIII plays compared to the Radio Shack model. There is no hum nor rumble to be heard.
I have much empathy for you, since my first through sixth turntable were all disasters. Finally, my purchase of the Sony PS-4750 satisfied. It's now 45 years old and still humming along, well, not actually humming at all. Unlike your ProJect, the Sony does not have adjustable VTA and thus it requires the SH-4 Ortofon headshell to accomodate the 18mm tall Ortofon 2M cartridges. That's why I bought the VTA adjustable Technics; but, as it has turned out, the Technics has not delivered LP pleasures discernable from those of the Sony, other than easier cartridge interchange. In other words, I wish now I had not purchased the Technics. At any rate, it's fun stuff, especially since I'm now shut inside my home like so many others.

W

wepeini

Audiophyte
I asked because I did some goggling :) and I didnt come across this fact about S shaped tone arrms and cartridge alignment. Owners manuals are a a legit source of info.

My old entry Radio Shack TT was a semi automatic euippeed with an S shaped tonearm and it produced lots of distortion towards the end of the record. The cartridge which was an entry level Shure must have been misaligned is my guess. The TT was a floating plinth design which I will never buy into again as this SOB skipped like crazy just by walking by. I made sure the tracking weight was set within the weight limits of the cartridge but it still skipped when walking by it. I hated it. So I stopped playing my vinyl (as I wanted to keep my records in good shape) at that point until I could afford a decent table.

I picked up the ProJect XpressionIII with an acrylic platter. It has a straight carbon fiber tone arm with a fixed or molded in head shell and an Ortofon Red. I roadrunner email can adjust the VTA on it by loosening a pair of screws at the base of the arm which is easy enough. I'm amazed at how quiet the XpressionIII plays compared to the Radio Shack model. There is no hum nor rumble to be heard.
This is pretty awesome and cool.

Last edited:
mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Looking to add a turntable to my setup. I have a Marantz receiver so am considering the Marantz TT42P, for no other reason than to have matching emblems. Open for suggestions. Thanks.
I've been doing a Fair amount of research on Turntable lately as I'm in the Market for one.

The Audio-Technica AT-120-USB turntable is a good Recommendation. Its a Direct Drive turntable and can connect to your computer via USB to digitize your Vinyl.

Also look at Pro-Ject Debut Carbon

And the Rega Planar 1

mossman77

mossman77

Full Audioholic
No, not yet. I've been taking a break from my home audio system and concentrating on my vehicle's system.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Be careful with a thrift shop TT. Some mechanical things can go bad like arm bearings, motor bearings, old belts and carts, etc. All can be fixed but will ad to total cost.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Be careful with a thrift shop TT. Some mechanical things can go bad like arm bearings, motor bearings, old belts and carts, etc. All can be fixed but will ad to total cost.
I always plug everything in and those are the first things I’ve checked. I only had to buy the belt at $10-12. I guess I got lucky.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis