Turntable RCA Leads

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
I was thinking about putting a turntable in my bedroom system. Decided it wouldn't be practical as I would probably have to put a shelf on the wall away from the Denon AVR. But it got me wondering about the cable length if I did ever decided to do that. How long can you run them?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I was thinking about putting a turntable in my bedroom system. Decided it wouldn't be practical as I would probably have to put a shelf on the wall away from the Denon AVR. But it got me wondering about the cable length if I did ever decided to do that. How long can you run them?
As short as possible as the longer the leads the higher the capacitance. The variable capacitance of leads is one of the biggest variables in disc reproduction. Unfortunately all cartridges require a different loading capacitance.

SME issues their PU arms with very low capacitance leads, and then the user solders the optimal capacitance at the base of the arm. The Quad 44 preamp has dip switches to set the optimal capacitance for the cartridge you are using. This basically works if you use an SME arm which is low capacitance and then you can set it optimally. I suspect that most Quad users did use SME arms back in the day. I did and still do,

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
A couple years ago, I started digitally recording my LP's. I think I'll continue that so when I want to play an LP in the bedroom system, I will have it in the digital format at least.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Why even play the vinyl if you have a digital recording of it? Not like it's going to age like wine or something :) Along those lines, perhaps sending a digital or even regular line level signal over a longer length (at least longer than most tt cables are best at) to another system with the right phono stage capabilities could be a thought....

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
A couple years ago, I started digitally recording my LP's. I think I'll continue that so when I want to play an LP in the bedroom system, I will have it in the digital format at least.
makes much more sense ........

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
Coupla nice things about making a recording is that you don't have to flip the record and the records will last into eternity.
edit: nothing wrong with flipping a record. But if the tt is in another room, then that'd be a bit of a hassle.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis