Turntable Question: Record clamp or weight with Acrylic platter?

G

grodzki

Audioholic Intern
I'm upgrading my old Pro-Ject Debut III with an acrylic platter. I know a mat is no longer needed, but Is a clamp or weight necessary to prevent slipping?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well, if the acrylic "slips" then a mat sounds like it is necessary. A clamp might be useful if you collect warped records, weights are just silly.

G

grodzki

Audioholic Intern
Well, if the acrylic "slips" then a mat sounds like it is necessary. A clamp might be useful if you collect warped records, weights are just silly.
Thanks. It's just dawning on me that the best way to find out if slipping is an issue is to try the darned thing. I'm got the "waiting for delivery" fever and want to be able to use the new platter right away, so I'm preparing my arsenal. I might just replace the belt while I'm at it, and wondering whether I should oil the platter bearing as well.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks. It's just dawning on me that the best way to find out if slipping is an issue is to try the darned thing. I'm got the "waiting for delivery" fever and want to be able to use the new platter right away, so I'm preparing my arsenal. I might just replace the belt while I'm at it, and wondering whether I should oil the platter bearing as well.
How old is the belt and when was it last lubricated? :) I am not familiar with the acrylic platter, never had one or a need for even considering changing my platter out. Trying it first sounds like a good idea. Hard to imagine the small force of the rock being dragged thru the little canyons will make the vinyl slip, tho. I suppose if acrylic is so slick as to allow such then perhaps a clamp or mat would be in order. Waiting sucks, eh?

G

grodzki

Audioholic Intern
How old is the belt and when was it last lubricated? :) I am not familiar with the acrylic platter, never had one or a need for even considering changing my platter out. Trying it first sounds like a good idea. Hard to imagine the small force of the rock being dragged thru the little canyons will make the vinyl slip, tho. I suppose if acrylic is so slick as to allow such then perhaps a clamp or mat would be in order. Waiting sucks, eh?
Waiting does indeed suck. But it builds character, I suppose. The belt is the original, and it's at least 8 to 10 years old. I wouldn't call it brittle, but it's definitely dry.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
yes, get yourself a new belt

yes, clean and lubricate the platter bearing. Be sure to use correct grease per Pro-Jects recommendation.

no, on the mat or clamp until you have an opportunity to first play as-is. The add-on of a mat may actually hinder your VTA or it may help, a lot depends on vinyl weight.

G

grodzki

Audioholic Intern
yes, get yourself a new belt

yes, clean and lubricate the platter bearing. Be sure to use correct grease per Pro-Jects recommendation.

no, on the mat or clamp until you have an opportunity to first play as-is. The add-on of a mat may actually hinder your VTA or it may help, a lot depends on vinyl weight.
Much appreciated, thanks

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm upgrading my old Pro-Ject Debut III with an acrylic platter. I know a mat is no longer needed, but Is a clamp or weight necessary to prevent slipping?
I have a Project Xpression III that comes standard with an acrylic platter and I have yet to experience the record slipping during play. Even when cleaning the record with the original disc washer, I need to press down firmly to cause the platter to slip under the record.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
Speaking of cleaning a record, when I bring home a new (used) record, I give it a good clean with the Discwasher. I really like my new Pro-Ject Carbon turntable, but I do miss the torque for cleaning that my 150 year old direct-drive Technics had.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Speaking of cleaning a record, when I bring home a new (used) record, I give it a good clean with the Discwasher. I really like my new Pro-Ject Carbon turntable, but I do miss the torque for cleaning that my 150 year old direct-drive Technics had.
Yep. I love my Rega Planar 3 but that Technics DD I had back in the late 70s had some torque. :)

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
I am also not sure it is good for the motor to clean a record. Had I known that this before, I'd have kept the DD just for cleaning.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
I am also not sure it is good for the motor to clean a record. Had I known that this before, I'd have kept the DD just for cleaning.
agreed, cleaning ones LP's is paramount to optimum listening IMO. That's why I use a RCM (VPI 16.5) and religious procedure that I follow

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Ive been cleaning my records for a while now and there has been no detrimental effects.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I have always handspun the platter when using a simple brush before playing....

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
I bought this last weekend. https://www.vinylvac.net/ with the cleaner concentrate.
Plus, I bought all the parts for the lazy susan project that he shows on the video on his site.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis