W

WRXminion

Audiophyte
Alright, so I’m new to stereos and I’m trying to figure out how to tune my stereo, I don’t want to have to buy the mic from denon though this might be the best bet.

My current set up is
Receiver: Denon AVR-3805
Loudspeakers: Cerwin-Vega Re-30’s
Sub: Klipsch Synergy 12inch
Center: Infinity… few years old not sure the model but it works.
Rear: Klipsch bookshelves.. not sure model again but they are nice.
Then surrounds I have some cheap RCA

I’m happy with my set up, I just need to tune it. I could probably stand for some better surrounds… but the RCA get the job done.. so it’s better then nothing.

I just got the sub, and it has a high freq out… I’m assuming that I don’t need to bother with this and just use my denon?

I feel like an idiot for asking this, but what is crossover?

brian32672

brian32672

Banned
For the cost of the Denon mic. You would be better off buying a Radio Shack SPL meter.

However, obviously with the Denon mic - you will be able to do the auto-calibration.
But I will tell you now, that the Denon auto calibration is not the best in the business.
And that you would get better results with a manual calibration and a RS meter.

In very simple terms - A crossover is a filter (for audio).

Audio crossovers are a class of electronic filters designed specifically for use in audio applications, especially hi-fi. A commonly used dynamic loudspeaker driver is incapable of covering the entire audio spectrum all by itself. Thus, crossovers serve the purpose of splitting the audio signal into separate frequency bands which can be handled by individual loudspeaker drivers optimised for those bands. A combination of multiple drivers each catering to a different frequency band constitutes most hi-fi speaker systems.

To read more on crossovers in general terms and probably a little more than you want to know read here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_crossover

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis