Tube amp for mains only?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
solid state amplifier that can match 300b?
what amplifier is that?
do you ever listen to it?
You mean listen to the amp particularly? How would one put an amp in a system and not listen to it?

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Field Marshall
solid state amplifier that can match 300b?
what amplifier is that?
do you ever listen to it?
As mentioned, the Amp Camp Amp, a fairly crude but legit SE ss amp. Yes, I have one.

No, I don't have a 300b to compare. Sorry, just not rich and/or foolish enough for the wildly expensive, fetishized dht types. My point was, in terms of reductive measures, the ACA is indeed similar to a typical 300b, in terms of power, output impedance/damping factor, amounts and type of nonlinear distortion, both clean and clipped...all quite intentionally, as Pass designed it to be a)cheap; b)easy to assemble; and c)provide the proverbial "sound of one hand clapping" sonics (single ended pure class A output stage), a la SETs.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
@PENG didn't you build the Amp Camp Amp? An amp whose performance is closer to a single ended 300b triode amp than conventional amps?

Perhaps the OP could benefit from you sharing your own experience exploring esoteric amplification. Presumably you had similar curiosities as squishman at one time.
I did, like Mrboat I also wanted to build the F5, bought the parts for the board but has been unable to find time to finish that one. The 5 W amp is fine for sensitive speakers and nearfield listening. The F5 would probably be more practical as it can do 25 W, still class A but is a push pull design.

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
Happy new year! I have Klipsch Forte II's for my mains in my 5.1.2 HT powered by a Yamaha RX-A1060. I have often wanted to hear my Forte II's powered by a tube amp for 2 channel listening (mainly LP's). Or 2.1, actually. But if I found a tube amp and plugged it into the pre-amp outs, would I not be defeating the whole purpose? I mean the AVR would be the weakest link and perhaps it would be an almost indecipherable difference. Comments?
I don't agree. I think the weakest link in the system would be the tube amp. I have owned a few and even one high end one from Audio Research. The high end one actually had quite a bit less harmonic distortion than most tube amps. But I can't say any of them produced superior sound to a modern AVR. There are good reasons that tube amps are boutique type of item.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
I don't agree. I think the weakest link in the system would be the tube amp. I have owned a few and even one high end one from Audio Research. The high end one actually had quite a bit less harmonic distortion than most tube amps. But I can't say any of them produced superior sound to a modern AVR. There are good reasons that tube amps are boutique type of item.
I never did acquire a tube amp. And I am glad I didn't. Thx for your input. My system has improved since that op. Onkyo AVR and Klipsch La Scalas now. Still no tubular amp. I will only get one now if I happen upon one at a garage sale for a ridiculous deal.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis