trying to understand PCM

R

ryan357

Audiophyte
I'm trying to setup a Panasonic DVD to a Denon AVR983 with a Toshiba 51" rear projection HDTV.

2 questions:
The DVD player setup wants to know my PCM digital output. Choices are off, 48Khz, 96Khz, or 192Khz. Whats PCM and which one do I choose?

Also, The DVD wants to know which type of TV I have, choosing between: standard (direct view), LCD TV/Projector, CRT Projector, Projection, or Plasma TV. Is a rear projection considered standard direct view or projection?

Thanks,
Ryan

U

Unregistered

PCM = Pulse Code Modulation. It is essentially the lowest common denominator in digital audio. Without going into all the gory details, digital audio samples a waveform n times per second and at each instant a value representing the amplitude of the signal is calculated. The sample rate (or sampling frequency) is the number of samples per second (44.1khz, 48khz, 96khz, etc) and the bit depth is the number of bits used to store the amplitude value. A CD uses 44.1khz sampling and 16 bits therefore the amplitude values range from -32768 to +32767 and there are 44,100 of them every second. A WAV file on your PC is nothing more than linear PCM with a header tacked on to the beginning of it with information like the number of channels, bit depth, sampling rate, etc.

So for your question:
The DVD player wants to know how to output digital audio. 48kHZ should always work. Use 96kHZ if your receiver has 96kHZ dacs; use 192kHZ if the receiver has 192kHZ dacs. Note, however, that it all depends on the sampling frequency of the signal on the DVD. Most DVDs use 48kHZ. If the sampling frequency on the dvd is lower than what you set the output to, it won't matter - it will send it in its original form (unless your player also has an option to upsample to the higher rate). If it is higher, the dvd player will downsample it to the rate you've chosen. Some dvds are copy-protected but may be at 96kHZ; often those signals cannot be sent out the digital output and the player will downsample to 48kHZ. Mine allows me to choose how I want to handle it - always use 96kHZ (and risk that some won't play) or use '48kHZ compatible' which means it will downsample. Have to check your player to see all the options available to you.

Note that the above is different than choosing between PCM and Bitstream, which is likely in a different menu on the player. That choice is whether to send the raw bitstream to the receiver (choose Bitstream) and let the receiver decode it or send PCM (choose PCM and a sampling frequency). If you choose PCM, the player will decode the bitstream and send raw pcm to the receiver which can then apply a processing mode like ProLogic II to turn it back into surround, although it will be slightly different than sending the bitstream and letting the receiver do the decoding.

For the TV, it likely just wants to know the 'shape' of the tv; ie 4:3 or 16:9 (widescreen). The choices it gives you are very ambiguous. A rear projection tv is definitely NOT direct view, but it doesn't really fit with Projection either.

I bet any choice that matches the tv shape will work; ie if your tv is 4:3 then choose something with CRT in it; if it is 16:9 then choose one of the projection options.

I would think it maps the tv shape from those terms in this way:
direct view/standard - 4:3
lcd tv/projector - 16:9 (never seen a 4:3 LCD). This is likely LCD Flat panel, not LCD rear projection.
CRT Projector - 4:3. Could be an actual crt projector (most are 4:3) or fit for a CRT rear projection tv.
Projection/plasma - 16:9

U

Unregistered

Oops, you did say what kind of TV. :)
Toshiba Rear Projection is most likely a CRT rear projection and the choice CRT/Projection is likely what you want. Since it is HDTV, it must be 16:9 and I would bet any of the other choices for 16:9 tvs like Plasma or Projection would work too. The player definitely does not "know" what kind of tv it is connected to. It only needs to know whether it should display Fullscreen (4:3) or Widescreen (16:9).

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis