Trying to solder something

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
My question about household grounding deals with a plan to sleep on a grounding mat and/or wear a grounding wrist strap whilst watching TV, etc. This all might be hocus pocus or it might be real. They call it "earthing" if you walk outside barefooted and it is supposed to be a great thing for your health. Decades ago, before synthetic materials were used in footwear, auto-immune diseases weren't so common. Anyway it is to try to improve my health and hopefully someday or soon put the kibash on my painful rheumatoid arthritis. It's worth a try!
So, I bought an 8 foot, 1/2 inch ground post and pounded it in 7 feet. Wrapped copper wiring to it, wrapped solder over that, then smeared some flux on it. That might have been redundant since I am using rosen core electrical solder. Then I put a mini torch on it. I did sand the post first to clean it up. The wiring only adhered a little. Good for tonight! But what do I need to do to get a better adhesion? Different solder? A regular torch? After I get it done I have some 1" heat shrink that shrinks 50% to make it all look lovely. And dab some silicone on the hole through the house. For now, I'll just tape that temporarily. But yeah, I'd like to figure this solder thing out. I have soldered all my life, but not like this.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
My question about household grounding deals with a plan to sleep on a grounding mat and/or wear a grounding wrist strap whilst watching TV, etc. This all might be hocus pocus or it might be real. They call it "earthing" if you walk outside barefooted and it is supposed to be a great thing for your health. Decades ago, before synthetic materials were used in footwear, auto-immune diseases weren't so common. Anyway it is to try to improve my health and hopefully someday or soon put the kibash on my painful rheumatoid arthritis. It's worth a try!
So, I bought an 8 foot, 1/2 inch ground post and pounded it in 7 feet. Wrapped copper wiring to it, wrapped solder over that, then smeared some flux on it. That might have been redundant since I am using rosen core electrical solder. Then I put a mini torch on it. I did sand the post first to clean it up. The wiring only adhered a little. Good for tonight! But what do I need to do to get a better adhesion? Different solder? A regular torch? After I get it done I have some 1" heat shrink that shrinks 50% to make it all look lovely. And dab some silicone on the hole through the house. For now, I'll just tape that temporarily. But yeah, I'd like to figure this solder thing out. I have soldered all my life, but not like this.
I am reminded of one of G.K. Chestertons prophecies from 120 years ago in his "Orthodoxy" when he foretold that we were heading to an age when people would come to believe anything.

Throughout my lifetime I have seen his prophecies become fulfilled one after another.

You really need to analyse data better. Concordance does not mean association and certainly not cause and effect.

If you are prey to those sort of loony claims, then you are a mad as the "Mad Hatter" or "March Hare"!

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
I learned that there is electrical noise or whatever in the household ground and is not optimal for this purpose.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
I am reminded of one of G.K. Chestertons prophecies from 120 years ago in his "Orthodoxy" when he foretold that we were heading to an age when people would come to believe anything.

Throughout my lifetime I have seen his prophecies become fulfilled one after another.

You really need to analyse data better. Concordance does not mean association and certainly not cause and effect.

If you are prey to those sort of loony claims, then you are a mad as the "Mad Hatter" or "March Hare"!
Fine. But how do I fix the solder?

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
Need to eventually repair that landscaping edging in the backyard!

jinjuku

jinjuku

This is absolute lunacy. Your electrical panel should already have a singular ground rod. If you think there is a grounding issue then you need to have a qualified electrician come out and validate proper grounding.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
Did I ask for opinions on if it works? Rheumatoid arthritis has f-----d up my life. It's something I want to try if you don't mind.

jinjuku

jinjuku

You should ask your care provider then. I've helped install electronics clean rooms where you walked on copper mesh matts. They were tied into a ground bar that back hauled to the mains electrical panel where it was grounded.

You simply need a grounding strap that plugs into an outlet that tests correct for ground.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
You should ask your care provider then. I've helped install electronics clean rooms where you walked on copper mesh matts. They were tied into a ground bar that back hauled to the mains electrical panel where it was grounded.

You simply need a grounding strap that plugs into an outlet that tests correct for ground.
I already have the post! Looking for how to solder it.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I learned that there is electrical noise or whatever in the household ground and is not optimal for this purpose.
There is noise everywhere. This whole precept of yours is totally loony and nonsensical. Instead of wasting your time trying to implement totally lunatic advice and theories, you need how to learn to assess data. If you don't you will be prey to every lunatic scheme espoused and there are more of those now almost be the hour.

Lastly I am going to warn you that lighting can and does move across the ground surface. What you are doing is actually very dangerous and could kill you.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
There is noise everywhere. This whole precept of yours is totally loony and nonsensical. Instead of wasting your time trying to implement totally lunatic advice and theories, you need how to learn to assess data. If you don't you will be prey to every lunatic scheme espoused and there are more of those now almost be the hour.

Lastly I am going to warn you that lighting can and does move across the ground surface. What you are doing is actually very dangerous and could kill you.
No one wants to answer my question. Thanks a million.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Did I ask for opinions on if it works? Rheumatoid arthritis has f-----d up my life. It's something I want to try if you don't mind.
These days there is excellent and supportive data for the treatment of RA. The causation of RA is an immune disease and has nothing to do with electricity. These bogus claims about RA and electricity are as old as the hills. In the words of the late Click and Clack:- BOGUS!.

If you seek help from a competent rheumatologist you can get the relief you need. You are only 75 miles from the Mayo Clinic, and they have one of the most renowned rheumatology departments in the world. They were are number one go to referral center for refractory RA from Grand Forks.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
I do see an ra physician. Why are you still not helping me solve my soldering issue?

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
Multi-disciplinary research has revealed that electrically conductive contact of the human body with the surface of the Earth (grounding or earthing) produces intriguing effects on physiology and health. Such effects relate to inflammation, immune responses, wound healing, and prevention and treatment of chronic inflammatory and autoimmune diseases. The purpose of this report is two-fold: to 1) inform researchers about what appears to be a new perspective to the study of inflammation, and 2) alert researchers that the length of time and degree (resistance to ground) of grounding of experimental animals is an important but usually overlooked factor that can influence outcomes of studies of inflammation, wound healing, and tumorigenesis. Specifically, grounding an organism produces measurable differences in the concentrations of white blood cells, cytokines, and other molecules involved in the inflammatory response. We present several hypotheses to explain observed effects, based on current research results and our understanding of the electronic aspects of cell and tissue physiology, cell biology, biophysics, and biochemistry. An experimental injury to muscles, known as delayed onset muscle soreness, has been used to monitor the immune response under grounded versus ungrounded conditions. Grounding reduces pain and alters the numbers of circulating neutrophils and lymphocytes, and also affects various circulating chemical factors related to inflammation.

jinjuku

jinjuku

I already have the post! Looking for how to solder it.
You're electrical mains already has a post. Now you have two and introduced a ground differential potential.

You just need a grounding strap that plugs into wall AC outlet.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis