Trying to establish the best Surround sound setup

H

HTnoob

Audiophyte
Hi,

I've been reading several posts here and doing a bit of research for a home theater setup up in our future renovated family room in the basement. I'm struggling to commit to something as there are issues with the angles I'm trying to replicate from the dolby guide. My goal is to figure out a 5.1.4 setup.
Here are some drawings for reference

For the first scenario with the couch closer to the back wall, the 5 main speakers seems to work well. The surrounds can be on brackets at the back wall at 110 degrees. We would prefer them to be mounted on the wall, if possible.

However as seen with the profile view, the back 2 atmos speakers would be way off the dolby angles. I don't have it noted, but it would be about 70 degrees.

For the second scenario, with the couch moved closer to the TV, I can get the back 2 atmos speakers at a 55 degree angle. While this scenario can get the minimum angle, I'm not sure if it would be an issue having the atmos speakers just above the ledge at the back of the room.

Another issue with this setup is the surround speaker on the fireplace side. Now that the couch is moved up, 110 degrees puts the speaker in the absolute corner of the room if mounting on wall bracket. I'm not sure the extent the fireplace would obstruct the sound and its overall impact. Ideally, we would prefer having the speakers mounted on the wall than having them on stands. The fireplace makes things a little tricky.

I'm not sure if I'm thinking too much about the angles and I should just try to get the best sound possible. Is there a configuration that would be preferable or something I haven't thought of? Or should I accept the fact that 2 atmos speakers may be the better option? While I measured the mlp at about 1.2m, I wouldn't be surprised if its 1.1m or 1m when siting or lying down more comfortably.

I've also debated having 2 subwoofers, but unsure if the room warrants it.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Wow. That’s interesting. Personally I like option 1 for the surrounds but option 2 for the rear tops. FWIW you might be worried about the angles too much. Remember, they’re only guidelines, and not hard fast rules. For example, the recommended angles for surrounds are 90-110. So you could definitely place them at 90. In fact some guys with 7.x.x have been placing them at 80° to maximize the spacing from side to rear surrounds.
The problem is the fireplace. After a very quick look, I think I’d go with option 2, and do the best you can. Atmos is very forgiving in practice despite what the guides lead us to believe.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
As for subs. Yeah, you’ll want two. Not just for the extra headroom, but smoother frequency response throughout the room. Ported.

Coachorr54

Coachorr54

Audioholic Intern
I am looking to do a theater project in New construction as well and am looking for some 8n wall speaker suggestions.

Coachorr54

Coachorr54

Audioholic Intern
Suggestions ya don't do it unless your commited to doing it right and spending the appropriate amount of cash to do so.

I had a much longer post but the filter said it contained inappropriate content.

Basically looking to build a system around a Marantz 7 or 9 chan AVR and 2 svs 1000s subs. The real question I have; can I get away with polk in walls like the rc85s and smaller surrounds and cielings ($3500 all in) or should I take the time to build the system with either a Focal or Klipsch in wall ($6,000)
Also, what would be an excellent room size for this type of system This will be in the basement of new construction and can be any size tentatively thinking 15 x 25.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis