Trying to create a system on a budget, what's the best speakers to use with an Onkyo TX SR 373?

H

HotlineBirdman

Audiophyte
I'm at a loss. I'm upgrading from a crap HTIB system and I'm trying to create a system on a budget of under 500 CAD. I picked up the above receiver and I'm likely getting a TCL 6 4k tv, but it's the speakers that I'm finding difficult to select. What's the best bang for my buck under 500?

Edit: sorry, I meant to specify I'm shooting for a 5.1 system under 500 bucks

Last edited:
P

pewternhrata

Audioholic Chief
I'm gonna guess most will say Philharmonic affordable accuracy. I still plan on getting a pair, I'm very curious.

H

HotlineBirdman

Audiophyte
NHT prices are good on Amazon Ca --- but 2 ea of the SuperOne 2.1 for the front L/R and the SuperCenter for the center .... or even better. buy a third SuperOne for the center --- then save for a subwoofer
Thank you for the suggestions, but I meant I was shooting to figure out a 5.1 system for under 500 if it's possible

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Thank you for the suggestions, but I meant I was shooting to figure out a 5.1 system for under 500 if it's possible
With all due respect, you will not find a quality 5.1 for that budget with Ca pricing -- you will need to build in segments.

H

HotlineBirdman

Audiophyte
With all due respect, you will not find a quality 5.1 for that budget with Ca pricing -- you will need to build in segments.
I'm very new to all of this, so apologies if I misunderstand anything.

So I should just start off with two left and right speakers and a center? Don't I need a subwoofer as well? I'm honestly just starting everything from scratch and there's so much info on the web I'm sure where to go from here

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I'm gonna guess most will say Philharmonic affordable accuracy. I still plan on getting a pair, I'm very curious.
That would definitely be my suggestion for USA (even though they are $300/pr, so over budget).
However, the people I have read about who investigated buying Philharmonic Audio speakers in Canada have found it a fairly expensive endeavor - unfortunately, the value of Philharmonic Audio gets compromised!

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan

So I should just start off with two left and right speakers and a center? Don't I need a subwoofer as well? I'm honestly just starting everything from scratch and there's so much info on the web I'm sure where to go from here
I would start with the front three speakers, and they will have some punch --- if you can stretch the budget some, then we might be able to recommend a budget sub that will not be bad for a beginner. .... Having a decent set to begin with and build is better than a screamy, shouty, hollow sounding HTIB system.

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall

On your budget a nice 5.1 is not feasible imo...you're going to have to spread it out.

If it were me...I'd buy a pair of RBH R-5 speakers ($300 pr). Now you've got $200 for a sub which I idk what kind of quality you will get. I would bank that $200 and try to stack another $200 with it and get a decent sub. A VTF1 mk3...now you have the ground work laid for a nice 5.1 system.

Run it in phantom mode until you gather the funds to buy a 3rd R-5 for your CC and I assume you can figure out the surrounds.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
On your budget a nice 5.1 is not feasible imo...you're going to have to spread it out.

If it were me...I'd buy a pair of RBH R-5 speakers ($300 pr). Now you've got $200 for a sub which I idk what kind of quality you will get. I would bank that $200 and try to stack another $200 with it and get a decent sub. A VTF1 mk3...now you have the ground work laid for a nice 5.1 system.

Run it in phantom mode until you gather the funds to buy a 3rd R-5 for your CC and I assume you can figure out the surrounds.
that would depend on the shipping cost to Canada.

H

HotlineBirdman

Audiophyte
One more budget option is to get AJ's Pioneer BS22 bookshelves and matching center. still enough room for a budget sub.

That would be a very decent starter 3.1 system. OP could reuse old HTIB speakers for surrounds.
Pioneer bookshelf speakers are on sale here

Center channel

That Pioneer sub listed above should be decent --- This system can be decent for a starter system
And this would match well with the Onkyo Receiver I have? I really want to get the best bang for my very limited bucks. I was also looking at these 'Fluance' systems that have all the gear for 5-600 bucks, but I'm not sure if that's a good get. They sure look pretty tho haha

And once again, thanks guys, I really appreciate the help

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I was going to recommend the Sony Cores, but it appears that they are much more expensive in Canada. Did not realize there would be such a difference in price. Right now, BB has the SSCS5 Core bookshelf for $74.99. But, listed as $278 at BB Canada. That is quite a difference. :confused: Bummer!

Cheers,

Phil

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
And this would match well with the Onkyo Receiver I have? I really want to get the best bang for my very limited bucks. I was also looking at these 'Fluance' systems that have all the gear for 5-600 bucks, but I'm not sure if that's a good get. They sure look pretty tho haha

And once again, thanks guys, I really appreciate the help
Given the limited Canadian market options, product availability, import fees, and generally bit higher prices, I think that these Pioneers which are very highly rated for their price point would work really well with your Onkyo AVR, but bear in mind that this system will not perform really well in large space, but would sound great in smaller rooms.
As for the flatulence brand - they have had QC/consistency issues in the past. Some models are really great value, some not so much. I also think that money spent on their speakers finish could've been better spend on higher quality parts.

psbfan9

psbfan9

Audioholic Samurai
Hi @HotlineBirdman. Welcome to the forum!

You've had some great suggestions, but I'm going to throw out a couple of suggestions as well.
First, how big is your room? How loud do you want/need this system to be?

You have several options so don't get stressed. Without knowing the answers to the above questions here are some systems to consider. Prices do not include shipping/taxes/fees to Canada;

Monoprice Premium 5.1-Ch. Home Theater Speaker System with 12in Subwoofer
https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=109&cp_id=10906&cs_id=1090601&p_id=33309&seq=1&format=2

DEFINITIVE TECHNOLOGY PROCINEMA 600 5.1 Home Theater Speaker System
https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/deftechprocnma600blk/definitive-technology-procinema-600-5.1-home-theater-speaker-system/1.html

Energy Take Classic 5.1 Home Theater System

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA3JX15Y3140

And here;

https://www.parts-express.com/cat/home-theater-speaker-systems/93

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I still prefer the NHT and Paradigm above all, and then the Pioneer -- however Fluance does have some fans and would get you out of the HTIB mode -- it is about what will float your boat. No one can speak for your ears

H

HotlineBirdman

Audiophyte
I've decided to give the Pioneer speakers a shot! Thanks everyone

H

HotlineBirdman

Audiophyte
Hey everyone, I have a further question:

I've grabbed the Pioneer bookshelves, center, and subwoofer. For the other two speakers, should I spend the extra and get two towers, or is two more bookshelves sufficient?

The room is basically 30' x 15', split half into a sitting room and kitchenette. It's not a terribly big space, but I'm wondering what's the way to go for this.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis