Trying to connect powered speakers to receiver with no luck.

B

babz

Enthusiast
Hey everybody, I had this issue nearly 11 months ago and I was able to resolve it. However, looking back on my original post that helped, it seems to not fix the issue this time.
I'll reiterate:

It connects via the RCA however I can't control the sound or none of the buttons on the receiver works when it's plugged in . . . Let me try to organize this for you guys:

Receiver: Pioneer VSX-9300
Speakers: Edifier 1280T
Cords:

- Speaker wire from right speaker to left
- Right speaker powered from an outlet (I guess if I don't want to use a receiver)
- RCA wires from back of speakers to my receiver
- RCA wire from back of receiver to an AUX that plugs into my laptop

My problem: I get sound...but I can't control the sound on my receiver. Only on my laptop or on the speakers.

Picture:
I attached it

The input cord on the left is an RCA to aux as it connects to the input on my receiver to the 3.5mm jack spot in my pc.
The Audio Out cord is an RCA to RCA cable as it connects to the back of my speakers.

I appreciate the help in advance as I feel this is something I am being ignorant about.

Edit: I've tried the set-up with the cables how they are in the picture, and that set-up produces sound, however it doesn't allow me to control the volume via the receiver. When I plug the RCA cables on the right into the "pre-amp out" (like I was suggested last year, I get zero sound.)

Attachments

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Definitely should be using the pre-amp outs, and that will give you volume control. If the pre-outs are not working, then you seem to have a problem. Do you have regular passive speakers that you can connect to the speaker-level binding posts on the PIO to test it out.

Likely, the output that you are using is a fixed-gain output--so no volume control.

Your powered speakers likely have a volume knob, so you should be able to just control the volume from the speakers themselves. Or use the digi volume controls on your laptop.

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
So you basically just have the old AVR in the chain for the volume control then?
The vcr outputs are probably ignoring the volume setting so the sound wont be affected by volume if recording.
Most likly you have the volume on the pc/speakers and the AVR set too low, the PC if not at 100 reduces, then avr unless hight up reduces and finally the speakers volume knob(gain) reduces so you end up with nothing. The vcr outputs is the same as the AVR volume at max or fairly close to max.
Try using the pre outs that are connected to the amp input next to it to the right. Lower knob volume on the AVR almost to minimum. Set PC volume to 100% and the speakers volume to max or close to it. Slowly increase volume on the AVR until there is sound. Make sure you are not using any dolby pro logic or other sound mode, only stereo or direct(or similar). If this doesnt work the AVR might be faulty. You can (after lowering volume on speakers and/or PC) just connect the pc to the speakers, other than as a volume control the AVR is pointless.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

B

babz

Enthusiast
Definitely should be using the pre-amp outs, and that will give you volume control. If the pre-outs are not working, then you seem to have a problem. Do you have regular passive speakers that you can connect to the speaker-level binding posts on the PIO to test it out.

Likely, the output that you are using is a fixed-gain output--so no volume control.

Your powered speakers likely have a volume knob, so you should be able to just control the volume from the speakers themselves. Or use the digi volume controls on your laptop.
If I plug it into phono instead of CD, I end up getting volume (the RCA to aux, cables on the left). Only problem is it's really choppy lol

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
If I plug it into phono instead of CD, I end up getting volume (the RCA to aux, cables on the left). Only problem is it's really choppy lol
Phono usually has some extra gain but also adds some filters so sound will be all wrong for non phono sources if used.

B

babz

Enthusiast
Phono usually has some extra gain but also adds some filters so sound will be all wrong for non phono sources if used.
Hey, I appreciated your response earlier, but to tell you the truth, I don't understand a lot of it. I'm interested in buying a pair of floor-standing speakers but am having a hard time finding a pair that is relatively cheap and is what I'm looking for. Any suggestions there?

L

Los Pollos 2000

Enthusiast
Pioneer VSX-9300 (no specific sub pre-out)
Klipsch R-12SW (input RCA L/LFE AND R)

A buddy gave me his old Pioneer VSX-9300.
I want to use it primarily for music via turntable.
I have powered sub-woofer and need help to
Determine if I can use the pre-amp out rca outputs
for input to my powered subwoofer.

Or should I try a line out “line level RCA converter” to get low level
RCA output from the B speakers outputs.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Pioneer VSX-9300
Klipsch R-12SW (input RCA L/LFE AND R)

A buddy gave me his old Pioneer VSX-9300.
I want to use it primarily for music via turntable.
I have powered sub-woofer and need help to
Determine if I can use the pre-amp out rca outputs
for input to my powered subwoofer.

Or should I try a line out “line level RCA converter” to get low level
RCA output from the B speakers outputs.
Just use the receiver's specific sub pre-out for connecting your sub...and use the bass management in the receiver too.

L

Los Pollos 2000

Enthusiast
Thank you, I would if this older Pioneer receiver had a specific sub pre-out.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I got a chance to review the service manual on that model....it has a set of pre-out/main-in (power-n they call it) jacks you could use for active speakers, take out the jumper and run pre-outs to your speakers. Does your receiver have such?

L

Los Pollos 2000

Enthusiast
I got a chance to review the service manual on that model....it has a set of pre-out/main-in (power-n they call it) jacks you could use for active speakers, take out the jumper and run pre-outs to your speakers. Does your receiver have such?
Yes my receiver does have preamp out put L and R.

I read other discussions elsewhere about other receivers with a similar out put where people advised this jack was not appropriate for a powered subwoofer.

Since I’m no expert or engineer that left me concerned to open up a brand new subwoofer and harm or destroy it by an inappropriate setup.

Thank you for continuing to engage my question!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

I read other discussions elsewhere about other receivers with a similar out put where people advised this jack was not appropriate for a powered subwoofer.

Since I’m no expert or engineer that left me concerned to open up a brand new subwoofer and harm or destroy it by an inappropriate setup.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

I was thinking of just powered speakers, not powering your speakers and sub at the same time. You'll need to split the signal on the pre-out and direct two (L/R) to the sub, two (L/R) back into the main-in/power-in jacks so you can continue to power your speakers. It's a pre-out, a full range one, but your sub should be fine with it with use of the low pass filter on the sub....

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis