Trying to buy a new home theater A/V receiver - help with input/output confusion

L

latrosicarius

Audioholic Intern
Hi, I'm trying pick a good home theater that will do the following:

• Connect a DVD player to it with highest quality cable that supports DVD encoding (Component video cable)
  • In the future, connect a HDDVD/BlueRay DVD player to it with the highest quality cable that supports that encoding (DVI?? I don't know this one)
  • And of course, have the video output go to my HDTV, which has both Component and a DVI input.
  • And have both the player and the TV rout audio cable to this receiver, which will output them to 5.1 speakers (upgradable to 7.1 speakers later)

Last edited:
M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
HD-DVD and BluRay will likely require HDMI. I believe the current plan is to automatically downrez the content if you only use component video cables.

Optical out is a digital output. You will sometimes see this referred to as 'toslink' (Toshiba Link) output, although toslink is actually the name of the interface and connector type.

All of the things you require are currently available.

jbrillo

jbrillo

Junior Audioholic
What's your budget range?

The optical out is for digital audio from your DVD player/ Sat or cable box / PS2 or X-box. You'll want that unless you can use HDMI. Which does both audio & video. There are receivers that are currently on the market with HDMI, but you'll be looking to spend at least $700-800 for a receiver.

L

latrosicarius

Audioholic Intern
My budget is about 750 to 800 bucks for the A/V receiver. Does Toslink make better sound than the HDMI cable? I'd like a high-quality receiver that has the appropriate connections to be compatable with future HD things, but not sure exactly what those will be.

It would be cool if I could do the following:

That way I could make use of the built-in TV speakers as well as the 7.1 satelite speakers. Is that possible you think?

So can anyone tell me what a good 7.1 A/V receiver needs to have on it as far as inputs/outputs. Also some recommendations would be nice if you have the time.

Thanks!

Last edited:
jbrillo

jbrillo

Junior Audioholic
From what I've been told, the sound through the optical is equal to what you get with the HDMI. The HDMI helps simplify the connectivity by running both uncompressed audio & video signals. Also, I've read that HDMI uses a little less than half of it's capability, so it should be the standard for the foreseeable future. So, you'll probably want to get a receiver with HDMI. Also, you mentioned DVI on your tv. Well, HDMI is backwards compatible with DVI, all you need is an adapter. I know that the Yamaha RX-V1600, RX-V2600, and the Pioneer Elite VSX-72 & VSX-74 have HDMI. I believe the Deneon 3806 does as well. But I think the cheapest is the RX-V1600 with is around $800. The others are at least $1K. Good luck. I hope this helps.

EDIT: Sorry, just checked the Yammy website. The 1600's MSRP is $1,099.00. So, they're all above $1K. Well, if you can stretch your budget a little, it would be well worth it. Also, check around. It is Christmas time. Your local electronics store may have a sale that might knock off $100 bucks or so.

Yamaha has an HTR 5990 that is $999.99 at Best Buy if that helps & it does have HDMI & all the other connections you need.

Last edited:
jbrillo

jbrillo

Junior Audioholic
That is possible, so long as you get a receiver with HDMI. Keep in mind, if you plan on using your tv's speakers, only HDMI, carries video & audio. If you use an adapter to connect your HDMI to your tv's DVI input, you will only get picture through your tv. You will not be able to use your tv's speakers unless you run another audio cable, either the analogs or optical or coaxial if your tv's got them.

L

latrosicarius

Audioholic Intern
Hi, thanks for your help!

I have a question about the Yamaha one you pointed out. It looks really great, except for this I don't understand:

* Fully Analog Video Up Conversion to HDMI and Component Video Output with TBC
* De-Interlacing (480i to 480p)
* Wide-Range Video Bandwidth (100MHz -3 dB)
--From Yamaha's site

Does this mean it won't go up to 1080i, only 480i/p? thanks

jbrillo

jbrillo

Junior Audioholic
I believe what this means is that it will up-convert analog signals from 480i to 480p. Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. 1080i will be possible if the source is 1080i. I'm pretty darn sure of that.

I like helping when I can. If it weren't for websites like this, I'd probably still be lost. Just keep reading the articles that Gene & Clint put out & you will learn alot.

N

Nick250

Audioholic Samurai
latrosicarius said:
My budget is about 750 to 800 bucks for the A/V receiver. Does Toslink make better sound than the HDMI cable? I'd like a high-quality receiver that has the appropriate connections to be compatable with future HD things, but not sure exactly what those will be.

It would be cool if I could do the following:

That way I could make use of the built-in TV speakers as well as the 7.1 satelite speakers. Is that possible you think?

So can anyone tell me what a good 7.1 A/V receiver needs to have on it as far as inputs/outputs. Also some recommendations would be nice if you have the time.

Thanks!
My suggestion is that you take the built in TV speakers out of the equation. In general they are so inferior to the main front speakers that they just muddy the sound. However you can easily run your own test by muting on and off the TV speakers while using your main speakers at the same time.

L

latrosicarius

Audioholic Intern
Nick250 said:
My suggestion is that you take the built in TV speakers out of the equation. In general they are so inferior to the main front speakers that they just muddy the sound. However you can easily run your own test by muting on and off the TV speakers while using your main speakers at the same time.
Nick, that's a great idea. I never thought about that. I'll definitely check out what sounds best with them on or off. :D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis