trouble with UHD discs

R

roodoob

Audioholic Intern
decided to watch my mission impossible boxset and to my dismay,
disc 1 initially read " can not read..clean disc etc "
i had just run a cleaner disc thru the samsung UBD-K8500...cleaned the disc, re-cleaned the player = no go !
tried M I 2 ...went slightly further , but still no go ...repeated all , mentioned and rebooted the player...still same ...finally,
disc # 3 DID Play
.... seems odd to me and this issue has never been encountered with replay of any other discs

any suggestions

thanx

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Try to empty BD storage. Unplug unit for a bit. If internet connected, try with BD Live Off and On again. Check for updates. That's all I can think of other than what you have already tried. :confused:

R

roodoob

Audioholic Intern
thanx ...
but ... " empty BD storage " ?
i left it unplugged over night, and no updates :confused:

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
BD Data Management(BD storage) via the BD Live settings. But, you'd need to have a USB connected storage device for your player, so never mind that one. You can try the Reset function on the player. I think I have one blu-ray out of many that will freeze in the exact same spot now on more than one player. Any other freezes I've had were always fixed after cleaning the disc. Old HD DVDs are a nightmare. You never know how they will play.:eek:

R

roodoob

Audioholic Intern
so, this samsung model, considered "old" ?
would you guesstimate, a new unit, would likely solve the issue ?
the fact that it plays the DVD version (blu-ray) and later episodes ...does not indicate a problem w/ the disc ?
though, i can't ( obviously) begin to consider what that problem would be

as long as i'm writing ...is there a unit or 2 you'd recommend ? < $250.00

thanx

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
If you have a Dolby Vision capable TV, you may look at the Sony UBP-X700. It can go as low as $149.99 when on sale or the Sony UBP-X800M2 which can go for $249.99 when on sale.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
HD DVD should still work in most modern players (DVD layer only), however certain players may have problems with specific discs. I have an Oppo205 and it is starting to have issues with some newer 4K discs since there are no new updates for the player since last year (eek 2019 lol). With OLDER discs, there is also that risk as well, that special discs, like HD DVD, might not work as well.

R

roodoob

Audioholic Intern
after reading yesterday, did a qwik search and the Sony came up...
( tho, i thought i read, does not stream in 4K)
i think a Cnet "best overall" in the price range

my LG Oled TV meets the needs on that end

clarifying if i read correct ...
is there a potential for newer units...UHD players... to be unable to play older 4K discs :oops:

i'd think, it would work similarly to a blu ray player, can play a standard dvd ....
so, does that need to be considered ?

and too,
do i need to pay more attention to what disc i am purchasing, w/ regards to what unit i have might have?
meaning ...match the disc to the player ?!? that seems like a lot of what i figured various manufacturers would take care of

thanx !

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
No, any new player is compatible with older UHD discs.

R

roodoob

Audioholic Intern
sort of leaning towards a new player, and figure i got my $$$ worth out of the old one ...
T V = LG OLED (5 yo)
Sound = Denon AVXR2200W (6 yo)

i see, as i look about, some new players offer 2 HDMI = 1 audio / 1 video for playback
my needs are ; view the discs , stream Amazon and Netflix ( in 4 K when available )
rarely play a music CD ...no games or other stuff ....

is there a distinct benefit to the 2 HDMI setup, for me ?!?!

many thanx :)

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
The second HDMI output is for those older receivers that do not pass HDR or 3D. You would hook #1 to the TV and #2 to the receiver for the audio. The Denon X2200 had an update I believe for Dolby Vision and worked in HDMI inputs 2 or 3, not sure. If you have issues with it, use the #2 HDMI output of a player for audio to the receiver. I believe the 2016 LG OLED TVs were the first to support Dolby Vision so again, maybe some issues but you won't know until you hook it all up and see if they play well together.

I would suggest a separate streaming device for Netflix and the like as UHD player apps are not as fully functional in regard to 4K, HDR and multi channel audio. The Apple TV 4K and Nvidia Shield/Pro are the best equipped for most apps but there are many options these days.

R

roodoob

Audioholic Intern
oh boy :eek:

as obvious, from the get go , i need help .... thanx

unsure if I would benefit from the separate device, as mentioned .... ?
the upside ?
is this sound quality / visual qualities , that are readily detected...
even my 70 yo eyes - N -ears
or is more geared .... to knowledgeable tech types, that can decipher , more efficiently these benefits?

too ...i suspect, but will ask ...do "higher end" blu-ray players, provide the same benefits...?

i'm running out of space; for the dentures, hearing aids and the like :oops:o_O:oops:

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Many of the streaming devices, including disc players and Smart TVs are limited by the app more often than the device itself. Sometimes the better version of an app makes it's way to separate devices first, then Smart TVs and maybe disc players.

You may try the apps on your TV and check the info label on shows and movies to see the supported video resolutions and audio codecs. Then, when playing something, you can check the receiver's audio input signal to see the signal coming in from the TV assuming you are using ARC.

Some apps will output 4K/HDR and Atmos/DD+ on certain devices while the same apps will output 1080HD and DD 2.0 or 5.1 on another device. You want the former if your TV and receiver are capable of supporting them.

Last edited:
R

roodoob

Audioholic Intern
oh man ...
you're giving me too much credit ...

knowing how to check all this stuff ?!?!? :oops:

pretty e z for a General .... but us enlisted men .... o_O

will try tho commander ...thx

R

roodoob

Audioholic Intern
as the obvious hits me... i need a new device... i am down to the

Panasonic DP-UB820 vs Sony UBP-X800M

any/ all reading this .... given my system , as described ....
do i benefit from the say $200.00 extra, for the Panasonic
or
will the Sony provide all i'll need / benefit from ?

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Both are capable players. Panasonic has a front display, Sony has no front display. Sony can play SACD and DVD-AUDIO discs if you are interested in playing those kinds of discs. I couldn't say if the Panasonic is worth $200 more dollars. I don't know if one will put out a noticeably better picture on your TV than the other. But, a penny saved is a penny earned. I have a Sony player, the original UBP-X800 because I use SACD and DVD-AUDIO discs. I like it.

R

roodoob

Audioholic Intern
the SACD , as i understand, is a separate music issue,
and my music, tho far outweighs time played vs anything else ..
is via my pod or pandora ...so unnecessary ....
from savin pennies and the like, ;)
the Sony and a device you have shared;
apple 4K or Nvidia Shield/Pro
are about the same $$$ as the Panasonic alone ....!

do i have the required ports to connect those extra devices ,
in my system ...i'm all wired ethernet
nothing is used wireless in my setup ;)

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Were you able to experiment with your TV's apps to display the audio format output from them on your receiver? The new UHD player and either of those two streaming devices would necessitate two available ethernet ports on your hub or router. But, you knew that much.;)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis