trouble with Kenwood RFU-6100

supervij

supervij

Audioholic General
Does anyone have one of these? If you haven't heard of it, it's a two-unit thingie: a sender unit and a receiver unit. The sender plugs into the amp, and sends a radio frequency signal to the receiver unit, which is plugged into the surround/rear speakers.

I just bought one, hooked it up, and found that I'm not getting much volume from it. Is it the fact that it's rated only at 50 watts? Due to short wires on the RFUnit, the sender unit is sitting about a foot from the TV, but it's almost direct line of sight with the receiver unit. I tried decreasing the output from all other speakers just so the rear centre would seem louder, but that still isn't much help.

My system, by the way, is a Yamaha RX-V750 receiver, and all Athena speakers -- 2 AS-F2 fronts, 2 AS-B2 sides, 1 AS-C1 front centre, 1 AS-C1 rear centre and 1 AS-P400 subwoofer. The Kenwood RFU-6100 is plugged into the rear centre channel. The Yamaha sends 110 W per channel, and the centre channel can handle 150 W. The Kenwood RFUnit is rated at 50 watts, so I thought maybe this is why I'm not getting much signal from my rear speaker. Oh, and I also get a low, whining sound from the speaker too.

I've been through the manual backwards and forwards, and I'm pretty sure I've done everything correctly. I've tried switching channels (it's got four different RF channels) but that does nothing. And the Yamaha's auto-calibration tells me that I've wired it properly, so it ain't that. Anybody have one of these Kenwood RFUnits who can help me out? Thanks so much!

cheers,
supervij

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis