Triggered Power Strip - Does it Exist?

Y

Yardstick

Enthusiast
I would like to use a receiver (HK-3390) to play music through powered speakers that would be in the same room as the receiver and built-in, passive speakers in another room that are already wired to the receiver's location. I'm also thinking of using a Bluetooth audio receiver that I already have as an input source. I would like to turn on the Bluetooth receiver and powered speakers with a trigger from the Stereo Receiver so that neither is on all the time. The Bluetooth receiver wouldn't be a problem for the 120V 1A switched outlets on the back of the Stereo Receiver, but the speakers could potentially draw more than the Stereo Receiver's switched outlets can handle. It's there a product like a power strip that could be plugged in separately but turned on and off by a signal from the receiver?

Edited for clarity and to point to the product that solves my problem - lovinthehd's recommendation for an auto-switching power supply looks like the best and easiest solution available.

Last edited:
Y

Yardstick

Enthusiast
I didn't find the functionality that I'm looking for in that one. I have a lot of similar power strips around. They usually have physical switches on them. I'm looking for something where I can use a signal from the receiver to turn the strip on and off. What I want to be able to do is use the main receiver's remote to turn on the Bluetooth receiver and powered speakers.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
I would like to use a receiver (HK-3390) to run built-in, passive speakers in one room and powered speakers in another. I'm also thinking of using a Bluetooth receiver as an input source for music. I would like to turn on the Bluetooth receiver and powered speakers with a trigger from the receiver so that neither is on all the time. The Bluetooth receiver wouldn't be a problem but the speakers could potentially draw more than the 120V 1A switched outlets on the back of the receiver can handle. It's there a product like a power strip that could be plugged in separately but turned on and off by a signal from the receiver?
Not a power strip but a triggered single power outlet to which you could connect a power strip:

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I didn't find the functionality that I'm looking for in that one. I have a lot of similar power strips around. They usually have physical switches on them. I'm looking for something where I can use a signal from the receiver to turn the strip on and off. What I want to be able to do is use the main receiver's remote to turn on the Bluetooth receiver and powered speakers.
The answer to that is no. Niles used to make one, but it has been NLA for many years now. You can build one however, there are boards available that have 12 volt relays on them. So what you want is a DIY project for you.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I amended it, linked wrong product https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006PUDQK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Y

Yardstick

Enthusiast
That auto-switching outlet strip looks like it's worth a try. It's tempting to go the DIY route, but I don't really need another project. ;)

Audiosaur

Audiosaur

Audioholic
I bought one of these in 2017 and it's been very useful. Coincidentally, though, I think it reached end of life just this week so I bought an identical replacement today. My circuit breaker started tripping while using the gear. I knew I couldn't be drawing too much power - it's a dedicated 20 amp circuit with only AVR, sub amp, 2-channel amp, and AVR cooling fans attached. I swapped out the smart strip with a non-smart and pushed it hard with no fails. So out with the old. I had hoped it would last longer than 5 1/2 years.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
I bought one of these in 2017 and it's been very useful. Coincidentally, though, I think it reached end of life just this week so I bought an identical replacement today. My circuit breaker started tripping while using the gear. I knew I couldn't be drawing too much power - it's a dedicated 20 amp circuit with only AVR, sub amp, 2-channel amp, and AVR cooling fans attached. I swapped out the smart strip with a non-smart and pushed it hard with no fails. So out with the old. I had hoped it would last longer than 5 1/2 years.
Wow so smart power strip dies that quickly ?
I really wanted one once ? I got regular ones last forever it seems some over 20 years.

C

Chesapeake HT

Junior Audioholic
Not a cheap option, but the Panamax M8-AV-Pro has a 12v trigger for the 4 high current outlets.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

That auto-switching outlet strip looks like it's worth a try. It's tempting to go the DIY route, but I don't really need another project. ;)
I received one of those outlets as a present, not using them, no need yet but I think you may want to control the other outlets even if receiver is off?
If not, this will do but how will you plug in the other components so far away. I guess that Bluetooth device plugged into the controlled outlet would be what is switched on when receiver is switched on?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I received one of those outlets as a present, not using them, no need yet but I think you may want to control the other outlets even if receiver is off?
If not, this will do but how will you plug in the other components so far away. I guess that Bluetooth device plugged into the controlled outlet would be what is switched on when receiver is switched on?
Some of the outlets are unswitched....

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

But what I am understanding is that he may want to turn on the other components in the other rooms at will when receiver is off?
If not, then yes, receiver on/off controls the green switched outlets.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
But what I am understanding is that he may want to turn on the other components in the other rooms at will when receiver is off?
If not, then yes, receiver on/off controls the green switched outlets.
Then maybe a smart outlet with a remote for the other room....

H

Hobbit

Senior Audioholic
I would like to use a receiver (HK-3390) to run built-in, passive speakers in one room and powered speakers in another. I'm also thinking of using a Bluetooth receiver as an input source for music. I would like to turn on the Bluetooth receiver and powered speakers with a trigger from the receiver so that neither is on all the time. The Bluetooth receiver wouldn't be a problem but the speakers could potentially draw more than the 120V 1A switched outlets on the back of the receiver can handle. It's there a product like a power strip that could be plugged in separately but turned on and off by a signal from the receiver?
Maybe I missed something.... OK, when you turn on the receiver that's in one room you want the setup (bluetooth/powered speakers) in the other room to turn on? For the power strip to work you'll need an extension cord from the receiver to the other room where the other setup is plugged in in order to trigger it to turn on. The strip will sense current when the receiver is turned on and turn on the switched outlets.

IMO, a smart outlet would be a better option. It will only come on when you tell it too. Which may be a good thing. Also check if the powered speakers have an auto sense to turn on. You may just be able to leave them plugged in and they go into standby when not in use.

There may be better options out there too. I went with Chromecast. I can play everything throughout my house from multiple sources and they're in sync. Something I never was able to do with BT.

Last edited:
Y

Yardstick

Enthusiast
I'm not sure where the misunderstanding came from, but just to clarify... The speakers that are in a different room are passive. The powered speakers would go right next to the stereo receiver. The Bluetooth receiver can plug right into the switched outlet on the back of the stereo receiver - I tried it and it works perfectly. It looks like one of those auto switching power strips would work to power on the powered speakers when the stereo amplifier turns on. That seems like the simplest solution to me.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
I'm not sure where the misunderstanding came from, but just to clarify... The speakers that are in a different room are passive. The powered speakers would go right next to the stereo receiver. The Bluetooth receiver can plug right into the switched outlet on the back of the stereo receiver - I tried it and it works perfectly. It looks like one of those auto switching power strips would work to power on the powered speakers when the stereo amplifier turns on. That seems like the simplest solution to me.
Sounds like you’re talking about zone 2 maybe add that to the first post or something, I’ve never ran two zones. So I’m clueless what to do you run the second zone like a stereo channel ?
Lost clarification everyone is just confused . o_O :D You may even need to change the title or make a new thread for zone2.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis