Tried to cut the cord...

M

Midwesthonky

Audioholic General
So I finally hooked up the Roku stick last week to see about cutting the cord. Best channel package for what we watch is DirecTVNow. So I signed up. Everything is sort of working. But turns out DirecTVNow updated their app a few days before I fired it up and it's got ISSUES! From what I gather, their updated app and their servers can't handle streaming when demand gets high like, I dunno, during prime time hours when everyone is watching tv.

What is with people putting out a crappy product and expecting everyone to just deal with it. No, I don't want to deal with my tv show cutting out right at the climatic main point! Argh!!

Matt34

Matt34

I haven't used DirecTV now but run into the same issues with Sling TV and to a lesser extent Hulu. I cancelled Sling TV after a month. We'll make due with Hulu, Neflix and Amazon Prime for now.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
the thing with cord cutting is shift from "channels" or broadcast viewing to mostly on demand viewing. Obviously this doesn't apply to sports.
Try to get subscriptions to Amazon Prime/Netflix and start exploring their on-demand content.
Try to find few friends who are running Plex servers and get invited

M

Midwesthonky

Audioholic General
the thing with cord cutting is shift from "channels" or broadcast viewing to mostly on demand viewing. Obviously this doesn't apply to sports.
Try to get subscriptions to Amazon Prime/Netflix and start exploring their on-demand content.
Try to find few friends who are running Plex servers and get invited
I do have Amazon Prime so that does help. We'll make it work. I have good internet so I know that's not the issue. None of the other apps are having issues. Live sports is the only real reason for us. I do like to watch Indycar Racing and some college football. Otherwise, a lot can be done via streaming services instead of channels.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Cutting the cord does have a couple month adjustment period and growing pains.

I've been off cable tv for about 2 years now, and not likely to ever go back.

Remember, if you are in a city, then you likely get several HD channels over the air, and the quality is actually better than cable HD since OTA signals are not compressed.

Sports is one of the biggest complaints, for sure. It does give you an excuse to get down to the local pub to watch sports on the big screen there.

Matt34

Matt34

Remember, if you are in a city, then you likely get several HD channels over the air, and the quality is actually better than cable HD since OTA signals are not compressed.

Sports is one of the biggest complaints, for sure. It does give you an excuse to get down to the local pub to watch sports on the big screen there.
Yup, forgot to mention we had an outside OTA antenna installed a couple years ago. Minus the hispanic/religious channels we have about a dozen local channels.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I've been using Sling TV for a good bit and I like it. Not without it's quirks, but it gets me the stuff I can't get on my own (netflix, amazon, hulu, OTA, etc) so I feel the less than $40 per month is worth it. I'm saving over $100 per month since I cancelled DirecTV so there's that too.

M

Midwesthonky

Audioholic General

I also have an OTA since we are technically in tornado alley and satellite doesn't work so hot when the storms are bad. I need to move my antenna up higher so I get better reception. I'm just on the edge of a good signal with the antenna without it being roof height. Get it up higher and I'll be in fine shape. May be a good project for the weekend with the forecast humidity pushing heat indexes to 100 since my OTA is indoors.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I am using SlingTV, but via my Sony 4K TV. The picture quality is awesome and have not run into any real issues. I have the "Blue" package along with the "Lifestyle" add on. It cost me ONLY $32.51 a month! Also use an Ooma for my phone and it is only $4.09 a month. Have my internet via Spectrum which costs me $64.99 a month. But, my speed is 118 mbps! Here locally there is no other internet provider. So, I am stuck w/Spectrum.

The good thing is in November I will add the "Orange" package and drop the "Lifestyle" .That will only increase my SlingTV bill by $10.85. That way, I get ESPN and ESPN2/ESPN3 which means I can watch almost all of my UK basketball games. Might add the "Sports Extra" package which will add the SEC Network. There might be a few UK games there as well. It would only cost me another $10.84 a month. That would almost certainly guarantee that I can watch all of the KY games. Will just have to see. BTW, I connect my Sony 4K TV via ethernet connection. Prefer it that way.

Cheers,

Phil

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I am using SlingTV, but via my Sony 4K TV. The picture quality is awesome and have not run into any real issues. I have the "Blue" package along with the "Lifestyle" add on. It cost me ONLY $32.51 a month! Also use an Ooma for my phone and it is only $4.09 a month. Have my internet via Spectrum which costs me $64.99 a month. But, my speed is 118 mbps! Here locally there is no other internet provider. So, I am stuck w/Spectrum.

The good thing is in November I will add the "Orange" package and drop the "Lifestyle" .That will only increase my SlingTV bill by $10.85. That way, I get ESPN and ESPN2/ESPN3 which means I can watch almost all of my UK basketball games. Might add the "Sports Extra" package which will add the SEC Network. There might be a few UK games there as well. It would only cost me another $10.84 a month. That would almost certainly guarantee that I can watch all of the KY games. Will just have to see. BTW, I connect my Sony 4K TV via ethernet connection. Prefer it that way.

Cheers,

Phil
On my Sony sling will flash a black screen a few times after fast forwarding. Doesn't do that on my other android tv devices. Does yours do that?

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
On my Sony sling will flash a black screen a few times after fast forwarding. Doesn't do that on my other android tv devices. Does yours do that?
Yes, mine does that too some. It gets annoying at times. Other times it does not do that. Going to look into to it further when I have the time. Things are very hectic right now. Stress is something that is a bit much to deal with right now as well. That is why I have not been on much lately.

Cheers,

Phil

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Yes, mine does that too some. It gets annoying at times. Other times it does not do that. Going to look into to it further when I have the time. Things are very hectic right now. Stress is something that is a bit much to deal with right now as well. That is why I have not been on much lately.

Cheers,

Phil
I want to try this at some point. I think as long as I can get food network to work then my GF won’t freak out... :)

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I want to try this at some point. I think as long as I can get food network to work then my GF won’t freak out... :)
Good to keep the GF happy. For many of us, that is much easier said then done. After (2) marriages, I just more or less tell it like it is. If my sweetheart does not like it, then she is more than welcome to make a change. I keep an open door policy here. It seems to work best for me. Others maybe not so much.......LOL!!!!

Cheers,

Phil

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Good to keep the GF happy. For many of us, that is much easier said then done. After (2) marriages, I just more or less tell it like it is. If my sweetheart does not like it, then she is more than welcome to make a change. I keep an open door policy here. It seems to work best for me. Others maybe not so much.......LOL!!!!

Cheers,

Phil
I figure it is better to be obsessing with speakers than some other vices. They are lucky to have us! :)

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I figure it is better to be obsessing with speakers than some other vices. They are lucky to have us! :)
For real! I agree 100%! This hobby gives me that release that keeps me sane. Have always been fascinated with Physics. Especially, acoustics. Thus, I try to learn as much as I can then apply it. Sometimes it works out very well whereas others not so much. Music keeps me from merely flipping-out......LOL!!!!

Cheers,

Phil

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis