Treatment advice with knee wall..

T

T.Anders

Audioholic Intern
As we finish our basement room, one side has a knee wall at 39". Above that along the first reflection point at ear level, is a window. The window is blacked out and covered by a curtain we had made to go along the entire length above the knee wall. It looks really nice.

How would you suggest going about doing acoustic treatments with the knee wall/window? I can't build a 4 foot panel on that side of the room. I could built a 2 foot panel and then 2 feet above the knee wall with a separate panel, and fasten it to the window somehow behind the curtain? Not totally sure what to do to treat that side of the room, the window throws a wrench in it..

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
As we finish our basement room, one side has a knee wall at 39". Above that along the first reflection point at ear level, is a window. The window is blacked out and covered by a curtain we had made to go along the entire length above the knee wall. It looks really nice.

How would you suggest going about doing acoustic treatments with the knee wall/window? I can't build a 4 foot panel on that side of the room. I could built a 2 foot panel and then 2 feet above the knee wall with a separate panel, and fasten it to the window somehow behind the curtain? Not totally sure what to do to treat that side of the room, the window throws a wrench in it..
Do you really need to treat the space? Not that I am advising against it, but is it really imperative?

T

T.Anders

Audioholic Intern
Do you really need to treat the space? Not that I am advising against it, but is it really imperative?
Probably not. But the opposite wall would be treated. Not sure if that will create goofiness...

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Photos could help.
(Architecturally, Knee Walls are primarily a short wall (commonly in an Attic of a structure with a gable room), used to support the Roof Rafters and block the edge spaces that are too small to utilize. For example:
1654362294970.png

Of course its been a minute since I was studying Architecture, and what I suspect you are talking about is either a partition, or simply the wall below the window you reference(?).) :)

I always recommend starting bare and taking measurements before treating, then more measurements as you place panels and such to see what happens. Guessing where and how to treat is a poor approach. I get that it is somewhat standardized to put a 2" panel behind the Mains and at the FRPs, but again...
I simply challenge the notion that it is always beneficial without knowing more about the bare room response and how the Speakers are interacting with the room prior to treatment.

There are cases for treating a single side and not the other, usually involving a Speaker close to a wall when the other side of the system is in a more open space. Based on your brief description, that is not the case, here.

If, in the case of what I suggested above, that the Knee Wall is the section below your Window, It could be as simple as rethinking your curtain. Getting a heavier material that will match (acoustically) the treatment on the other side and extending it full length would be the easiest solution in my mind. Assuming I am envisioning your description correctly. ;)

Either way, if you are going to treat the room, that is absolutely your prerogative and it is not my intention to tell you not to do it. I have simply seen many folk go back and remove their treatments after the fact and say things sound better with less, or that they had poorly placed or used the wrong type of treatments.

Regardless, posting a photo of the space will help myself or others give some advice. :D

Cheers!

T

T.Anders

Audioholic Intern
Photos could help.
(Architecturally, Knee Walls are primarily a short wall (commonly in an Attic of a structure with a gable room), used to support the Roof Rafters and block the edge spaces that are too small to utilize. For example:
View attachment 56427
Of course its been a minute since I was studying Architecture, and what I suspect you are talking about is either a partition, or simply the wall below the window you reference(?).) :)

I always recommend starting bare and taking measurements before treating, then more measurements as you place panels and such to see what happens. Guessing where and how to treat is a poor approach. I get that it is somewhat standardized to put a 2" panel behind the Mains and at the FRPs, but again...
I simply challenge the notion that it is always beneficial without knowing more about the bare room response and how the Speakers are interacting with the room prior to treatment.

There are cases for treating a single side and not the other, usually involving a Speaker close to a wall when the other side of the system is in a more open space. Based on your brief description, that is not the case, here.

If, in the case of what I suggested above, that the Knee Wall is the section below your Window, It could be as simple as rethinking your curtain. Getting a heavier material that will match (acoustically) the treatment on the other side and extending it full length would be the easiest solution in my mind. Assuming I am envisioning your description correctly. ;)

Either way, if you are going to treat the room, that is absolutely your prerogative and it is not my intention to tell you not to do it. I have simply seen many folk go back and remove their treatments after the fact and say things sound better with less, or that they had poorly placed or used the wrong type of treatments.

Regardless, posting a photo of the space will help myself or others give some advice. :D

Cheers!
The knee wall is the foundation of the house, it's a basement.

The curtain is rather heavy, although it doesn't specifically have any acoustic properties.

I can post pictures soon as I get back to my home. =)

H

HippiKayee

Audiophyte
Folks, I have a similar situation. My room dimensions and layout is as attached. Knee wall about 40in. If I have 4x4 acoustic panels available to be placed on the side walls, at what height would you recommend I place them? They have to be horizontal to be close to the side walls. I have 4 if them, 2 for each of the left and right side walls.

Appreciate any advice.
Screenshot_20220610-211910_Samsung Notes.jpg

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis