Transmission line design for dummies

P

Paul N

Audioholic Intern
In this post I hope, with the assistance of others at this forum, to write a guide on how to design a high quality speaker, based on the transmission line concept. As an important part of it, I would like to include a manual for the TL simulation program written by George Auspurger, which according to TLSguy does not exist yet. First idea about the content:
1. Why this post
2. Terms used
3. Different TL forms
4. Important things to consider when designing a TL speaker
5. Simulating a design
6. Guide to using George Ausperger’s TL simulator
7. Final notes
8. Links to good websites with TL designs and information on TL matters

Looking forward to your comments and suggestions,
A dummy :cool:

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
In this post I hope, with the assistance of others at this forum, to write a guide on how to design a high quality speaker, based on the transmission line concept. As an important part of it, I would like to include a manual for the TL simulation program written by George Auspurger, which according to TLSguy does not exist yet. First idea about the content:
1. Why this post
2. Terms used
3. Different TL forms
4. Important things to consider when designing a TL speaker
5. Simulating a design
6. Guide to using George Ausperger’s TL simulator
7. Final notes
8. Links to good websites with TL designs and information on TL matters

Looking forward to your comments and suggestions,
A dummy :cool:
Those are laudable goals, however what is really required is some actual practical designs to be included. So that would mean designing building and testing designs for the home constructor. Unless people see they can get something useful from that education, then they probably won't bother. So that really means having designs that also have crossovers worked out. The enclosure is barely half the loaf. So there needs to be worked up and tested practical designs, otherwise the project has limited use.

So If people are interested join the conversation. If I store any more speakers round here I will be seeing an attorney of a certain specialty.

So it would be an encouragement if members would sponsor, or agree to purchase, the prototypes. I think most will realize I don't need any more speakers round here.

P

Paul N

Audioholic Intern
Those are laudable goals, however what is really required is some actual practical designs to be included. So that would mean designing building and testing designs for the home constructor. Unless people see they can get something useful from that education, then they probably won't bother. So that really means having designs that also have crossovers worked out. The enclosure is barely half the loaf. So there needs to be worked up and tested practical designs, otherwise the project has limited use.

So If people are interested join the conversation. If I store any more speakers round here I will be seeing an attorney of a certain specialty.

So it would be an encouragement if members would sponsor, or agree to purchase, the prototypes. I think most will realize I don't need any more speakers round here.
There are quite a few real TL kits around, both cheap and expensive. I do not know if it is allowed to publish these here https://iplacoustics.co.uk/ipl_acoustics_____transmission_l.htm There are also complete non-commercial designs available, also affordable, like here. And what about optimizing old known designs?
But it would indeed be very nice if we got people to sponsor designs that would become available to everyone.
Anyway, without the support of other forummembers there is not much reason to spend time on it.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis