Traditional center with in-wall left and right?

D

Drunkpenguin

Audioholic Chief
Bare with me here, this is for a less critical living room setup. I already know the normal rules and have another room with a full atmos setup and 3 matching vertical speakers. My living room setup needs some help tho.

I've been running a phantom speaker in the living room for years because the layout doesnt work great for a center. I'm currently running 2 in-walls for a 2.1 config. It's an above fireplace mount with a little space between the TV and the mantle. Theres a stud right where another in-wall would go so that rules that out. The TV is already mounted way to high so I'm looking for a slim center to avoid going any higher with it. Would it be worth the effort? I'd have to run another speaker wire since the equipment is located in a closet. Below are the in-walls I have now and the center I'm looking at. Both Polk to give me the closest timbre match possible.

https://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-Signature-S35-American/dp/B01LW8H3NX/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1541346572&sr=8-4&keywords=small+center+speaker

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01ILUIN86/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

20181104_091644.jpg

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
That’s a nice looking room!
Tough call, but I think that center would work pretty good. Seems like a done bun.

If you wanted to get really invasive, you could open the wall up a bit and cut off the stud as I really doubt there’s any structural issues that would come from doing that in that area. Then just mount the new one and done! Or..... open up the wall, cut off the stud and header it off above and below what would be the Sheetrock opening. That would still allow dog ear functionality and shore up the interior wall. However, I still think if that little section of 2x4 missing will compromise anything, you might wanna check other areas of the house(consult your builder, WINK)
Also, you might think about a heat shield if the chimney ends up close to the back of the speaker.
Going above the tv will probably sound fine. I think as long as tweeters are between 12-18” of each other vertically speaking they’ll be ok.

Or just buy the slim center.....lol!

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Bare with me here, this is for a less critical living room setup. I already know the normal rules and have another room with a full atmos setup and 3 matching vertical speakers. My living room setup needs some help tho.

I've been running a phantom speaker in the living room for years because the layout doesnt work great for a center. I'm currently running 2 in-walls for a 2.1 config. It's an above fireplace mount with a little space between the TV and the mantle. Theres a stud right where another in-wall would go so that rules that out. The TV is already mounted way to high so I'm looking for a slim center to avoid going any higher with it. Would it be worth the effort? I'd have to run another speaker wire since the equipment is located in a closet. Below are the in-walls I have now and the center I'm looking at. Both Polk to give me the closest timbre match possible.

https://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-Signature-S35-American/dp/B01LW8H3NX/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1541346572&sr=8-4&keywords=small+center+speaker

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01ILUIN86/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

View attachment 26432
Well polk has that s35 I think it's called really slim center channel you could try. It's about one of the only ones I can think of that would fit under there. It's wall mountable too. Maybe some of the definitive mythos lcr speakers would fit I also think there wall mountable.

I personally didn't like the S35 when I had it back in the day but this is before I learned a lot about crossovers. I think in retrospect I had it crossed overed too low so I don't think looking back now it's fair to bash it. You could try it and return it if you don't like it.

Also a better bigger center could do good centered above the TV and angled down to the listener. But this might be a no go aesthetic wise. Hope you get it figured out!

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Well polk has that s35 I think it's called really slim center channel you could try. It's about one of the only ones I can think of that would fit under there. It's wall mountable too. Maybe some of the definitive mythos lcr speakers would fit I also think there wall mountable.

I personally didn't like the S35 when I had it back in the day but this is before I learned a lot about crossovers. I think in retrospect I had it crossed overed too low so I don't think looking back now it's fair to bash it. You could try it and return it if you don't like it.

Also a better bigger center could do good centered above the TV and angled down to the listener. But this might be a no go aesthetic wise. Hope you get it figured out!
ahh I missed your links you already are looking at it. I think it could work I don't think I had mine dialed in right. Like William said nice looking room!

D

Drunkpenguin

Audioholic Chief
I asked my builder (me) and he says the stud could go! But... and this is a big but, he doesnt wanna work for me any more lol. He's tired. Going above the tv would give me more options, but the TV is much higher than the pic makes it look because the ceiling is 10'. the top of the TV is about 7' so I just think thats way too high for a speaker to be.

My wife says go for it, so I may just order it, test it, keep it or return it.

D

Drunkpenguin

Audioholic Chief
Well, I just ran a wire through the attic for a center. I guess I'm committed now. Well see how it works out when it shows up.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I think it’ll be just fine, or at least as good as you’ll need in there. You(builder) did say it was a non critical installment.

Btw, my wife appreciates your sentiments wrt our column. Also says she still hates it! Lmao. Life is full of compromises right?

Nice room, I think that little center will work good, and not stand out either.

D

Drunkpenguin

Audioholic Chief
It was a worthy upgrade!
Somehow I had myself convinced that a stereo system was ok in the living room. Nope. 3.1 way more better! And in case anyone ever finds themselves in the same position the timbre match with the in-walls is dang good. I haven't even calibrated yet as I'm waiting for an audyssey extension cable to come because my receiver is more than 25' from the listening position.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
It was a worthy upgrade!
Somehow I had myself convinced that a stereo system was ok in the living room. Nope. 3.1 way more better! And in case anyone ever finds themselves in the same position the timbre match with the in-walls is dang good. I haven't even calibrated yet as I'm waiting for an audyssey extension cable to come because my receiver is more than 25' from the listening position.
Hey I'm glad it worked out for you you'll have to giv us your impressions of the center I'm curious about the S35. I know I had my crossover set up wrong on mine

D

Drunkpenguin

Audioholic Chief
First impression is its about equal to an in-wall. Not audiophile grade, but pretty good. I think in a smaller room it would do pretty well. My theater center has dual 10" drivers so im the wrong guy to compare it I think.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
First impression is its about equal to an in-wall. Not audiophile grade, but pretty good. I think in a smaller room it would do pretty well. My theater center has dual 10" drivers so im the wrong guy to compare it I think.
Yeah it wasn't gonna work in my setup either but it may work if it sounds okay in my bedroom I got the same issue with space that you do there cool man glad it worked out send us some pics when you get a chance!

D

Drunkpenguin

Audioholic Chief
Not sure if I like everything with grills on or off.

20181107_161319.jpg20181107_161301.jpg20181107_161407.jpg

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Definitely off. I’m a nuts and bolts kinda guy, and while I can appreciate the cleanliness, I appreciate MORE, naked speakers.

D

Drunkpenguin

Audioholic Chief
Decided to paint the in wall covers black. What do u think?

20181111_173418.jpg

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Niiiiiiceee now that's what I'm talking about bro! Looks sharp!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis