Towers for rear surround.

D

Davy11dean

Audiophyte
I am building a house and have the ability to create the perfect room. I am going to upgrade my speakers but already have Klipsch R-26F fronts but am upgrading them to the 280s. I also need to get new surround rears. Would using my R-26Fs for rears be ok and should I get an amp to push the new 280s?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Ideally you'd have the same speaker for all channels IMO. Hard to know why you'd need another amp since you don't even mention what it is. Klipsch tend to be high sensitivity speakers and easily driven by most amps. Your 26Fs are rated by Klipsch as 97dB sensitivity, the RP280F at 98dB sensitivity. Even with Klipsch overstating sensitivity spec it's still quite good. Try this spl calculator to approximate your amp requirements http://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html. I don't see a measurement of either as far as impedance goes, altho nominally rated 8 ohm, may have some lower impedance demands that can have an influence on amp choice.

You may want to consider elevating the 26Fs as surrounds, though. I use towers for my surrounds and recently built small risers to aid the positioning relative to my seating position.

D

Davy11dean

Audiophyte
I have an Onkyo TX-NR787 9.2 CHANNEL.

for my left and right surrounds I have klipsch RP-250S. I was just going to get two more of those for the rears but I will have my extra towers.

Thanks for the info I will most likely use my old towers for rear surround and raise them up.

ellisr63

ellisr63

Full Audioholic
I do not understand why the surrounds would be raised...are they not at the right level as front channel speakers? If they were bookshelf I would agree, but as floor standing I would think the would be the same height as the fronts.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
Go on ebay and gets some JBL 8330 they sell cheap and mount them to the sidewalls and rear wall at least, at least x8 around the room so you get decent cinema like surround.
Now I shown the ebay link at $65.00 = British £50 is cheaper than fish n' chips as I overhead the table next to me today the group of 4 bill was £45.00. I got mine from Twickham film studios for £38 each and that was thee bargain yet and use x9 in the home for surrounds. If you get a tower your going to place it near the seating that is wrong location. They should be mounted to the walls. But why spend hundreds for a pair when you can have bundles of 8330 for less and plus it looks super cool.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/40-Available-Price-for-1-Model-8330-JBL-CINEMA-SURROUND-SPEAKERS-ISO-2969/223245842308?hash=item33fa7d3784:g:GM4AAOSwa9dby-Do:rk:5:pf:0

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I do not understand why the surrounds would be raised...are they not at the right level as front channel speakers? If they were bookshelf I would agree, but as floor standing I would think the would be the same height as the fronts.

Try this discussion on the subject. Overall I think it's a matter of preference and could well involve the type of speaker as well as your seating and the desired effect. In my case my towers I use in the rear have tweeters that are slightly lower than my front towers plus my seat has a higher back than some. I started out with the surround towers at normal position then later added a one foot riser, and prefer it with the riser. YMMV but that's why I said might consider.... Rear surrounds I do put up even higher, tho (but aren't towers).

Last edited:
ellisr63

ellisr63

Full Audioholic
Try this discussion on the subject. Overall I think it's a matter of preference and could well involve the type of speaker as well as your seating and the desired effect. In my case my towers I use in the rear have tweeters that are slightly lower than my front towers plus my seat has a higher back than some. I started out with the surround towers at normal position then later added a one foot riser, and prefer it with the riser. YMMV but that's why I said might consider.... Rear surrounds I do put up even higher, tho (but aren't towers).
Thanks for the explanation... I used to have JBLS in my old setup we had them pointing downward on the walls as they have angled mounts, and we had Atmos channels on the ceiling. Our new setup will have Klipsch Belle clone bass bins, with some 18x10 horns. I plan on setting them up with the horns at ear level...just like my k402s will be in the front channels. Our Atmos channels this time will all be wall placed as our ceiling is 32' tall, and is a Boveda curved brick ceiling...so we have no choice, but to wall mount.

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
I am building a house and have the ability to create the perfect room. I am going to upgrade my speakers but already have Klipsch R-26F fronts but am upgrading them to the 280s. I also need to get new surround rears. Would using my R-26Fs for rears be ok and should I get an amp to push the new 280s?
There was a time that I believed the surrounds didn't matter that much. Brand, tonal matching, etc was mostly directed to the main 3. Strictly for movies, that line of thinking is still okay for the most part.

I bought a pair of RBH Bookshelf speakers to use as side surrounds in my 5.2.4 system. After my new Salks (LCR) arrived I eventually moved my existing floorstanders (B&W 804m) to the rear. Granted, they are not a great tonal match with the Salks and for movies you'd never really know it.

Multi-ch music is a different animal...with every new purchase of a SACD or bluray audion disc, more and more I'm finding that the rear channels get a full range signal. The B&Ws sound much better than the RBHs with many of these multi-ch recordings. So having another set of floorstanding Klipschs in the rear is a good idea if multi-ch music is something you want to take in.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis