Tower to Bookshelf ($1.5-2K)

zeuiax

zeuiax

Audioholic
I currently have a pair of PSB T45S driven by CA CXR120. I have been listening these speakers for 10+ years now and itching to upgrade. My budget for a pair of bookshelf speakers is $1.5~2K. This will be my primary (stereo) setup. So, mostly used for music (local flac via USB or HD Radio {Radio Paradise, JB2, Intense Radio FIP....} and TV.

Thank you in Advance and happy New Year to all.
Cheers,
AJ

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
I currently have a pair of PSB T45S driven by CA CXR120. I have been listening these speakers for 10+ years now and itching to upgrade. My budget for a pair of bookshelf speakers is $1.5~2K. This will be my primary (stereo) setup. So, mostly used for music (local flac via USB or HD Radio {Radio Paradise, JB2, Intense Radio FIP....} and TV.

https://ibb.co/dLnRZmx

Thank you in Advance and happy New Year to all.
Cheers,
AJ
Not crazy at all, I went from large towers to bookshelf or monitors in a home theater setting though. I would use a sub for sure though.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
BMR Philharmonitors are a solid suggestion. If you like listening at loud levels though, you may want a more sensitive speaker, but if you are only looking for neutrality, it's hard to beat the BMR Philharmonitors. Revel, KEF, Dynaudio, and Monitor Audio are all solid brands. RBH has the SV-61R speakers, another great hi-fi speaker, but also not the highest sensitivity, but it sounds very good. Polk has the Legend L200s which are a really good bookshelf speaker. If you are using a subwoofer, a really good speaker in this range is the Outlaw Audio LCRv2. You have a lot of good choices.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
KEF R3 has become one of the most-reviewed, best rated stand-mount speakers in the past year or two. My dealer refers to them as the "floorstander in a smaller box."

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I fully support the BMR recommendation.
Philharmonic Audio, Salk Sound or the DIY kit from Meniscus.
This is quite honestly one helluva-n amazing speaker.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah, that does seem crazy going from Towers to Bookshelf. Most people go from Bookshelf to Towers. :D

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Yeah, that does seem crazy going from Towers to Bookshelf. Most people go from Bookshelf to Towers. :D
I did the opposite, or am in the process of doing it. Floorstanding speakers I have in our living room are for sale because despite being right for the room size I just can't treat the room well enough to get the best out of them.

They won't fit in the smaller rooms, just too much speaker. The standmount ones I'm working with now, combined with perfectly integrated subs are giving me more satisfaction, by far.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
? What Speakers
KEF R500, in true walnut veneer. Very low "mileage", as the LS50's in my office and in the upstairs guest bedroom get the lion's share of listening time for being in much "acoustically better" rooms.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
KEF R500, in true walnut veneer. Very low "mileage", as the LS50's in my office and in the upstairs guest bedroom get the lion's share of listening time for being in much "acoustically better" rooms.
Weird the op wants to downsize .. maybe he just doesn’t have them properly set up.
I sure wouldn’t expect many bookshelves to outclass them but I guess it’s worth a try ...

WIsh I had the money for 2k bookshelves I’d imagine they sound amazing !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Weird the op wants to downsize .. maybe he just doesn’t have them properly set up.
I sure wouldn’t expect many bookshelves to outclass them but I guess it’s worth a try ...

WIsh I had the money for 2k bookshelves I’d imagine they sound amazing !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well how about $1500 bookshelf speakers for $1100 or even less? Accessories4Less.com has brand new KEF LS50's in the limited edition "Titanium Gray" for $1099, or a factory recertified pair of them for $900. Black ones for similar deals, and the original LS50 Wireless for $1500.

KEF LS50 5.25" 2-Way Mini Monitor Titanium Gray Pair | Accessories4less ]LS50 deal[/url]

The market is getting flooded with the original edition LS50 as the new "Meta" version is out now. I've seen pairs of the passive going for $700 or less.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Aj, what's the size of your listening environment ?

zeuiax

zeuiax

Audioholic
Thank you everyone for the replies. Few more details
  1. I am still exploring if moving to a set of BS speakers without a SUB is even option for me.
  2. I live in a condo, so, SUB is not an option. Already have my speakers on yoga mat :) to keep my downstairs neighbors at bay.
  3. My long living room is around 600sqFT and includes kitchen at one end. My entertainment setup is middle of the Livingroom with TV on middle wall.

floorplan.jpg

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis