Tower Speaker suggestions from you experts

T

ThunderClap

Audioholic
I've got 1200 to spend

i have a 7.1 system

Marantz Rec

looking to add SLEEK towers ...I don't megablasters from 1986 ... I want classy looking great sounding towers ....

I've looked a the KLIPSCH r-26f and the B&W 684 S2 which are an insane 600 a speaker ....

What you like best ...suggestions?

K

Kyle0910

Audioholic Intern
I've got 1200 to spend

i have a 7.1 system

Marantz Rec

looking to add SLEEK towers ...I don't megablasters from 1986 ... I want classy looking great sounding towers ....

I've looked a the KLIPSCH r-26f and the B&W 684 S2 which are an insane 600 a speaker ....

What you like best ...suggestions?
I have a pair of Definitive Technology BP9040ST for sale on another post. Great for movies and music. Movies are definitely a better match for them. Two 8 inch, 400w powered woofers.

Really awesome speakers I just want something bigger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
What are your current speakers and sub? What are your plans for the center?

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Try these, PSB Imagine T . They measure exceptionally flat, are very neutral and provide a high level of dynamics. They are equally adept in both music and home theater apllications

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
If you like the Klipsch sound, they have a killer deal right now (only direct from Klipsch).
The RF-82ii is going for $360 each (and the matching RC-62ii is $330) They were replaced by the R-28f, but there is a lot of debate about whether the changes were actual improvements or cost-cutting measures (unfortunately Paul Klipsch is no longer involved).

I think my RF-82ii's are truly excellent for HT and, for music, are solid competition for any other towers you could get for $360 ea.
I would not entertain spending too much on the surrounds (sometime, listen to a movie with the front 3 disconnected and think about how much the SQ of those surround speakers would really matter and where you want to invest your budget), the front speakers is where the important content is!

That said, Newegg is selling the Klipsch RS-10's at $88 each (but it is a daily deal, so act fast or expect the cost to go up)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=0S6-0033-00351&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-dealnews.com-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=552179&SID=V0RCajBRb0tNcXdBQURnU1dpc0FBQUNo

If you are not very knowledgeable about HT speakers, don't let the 82Hz bottom end scare you away. That is about perfect for surrounds where you will XO to your sub around 100Hz (for surrounds) and the sealed design means you can mount them directly on the wall without having to provide clearance for a port.

Here is more info on my (and others) experiences with the RF series:
http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/klipsch-rf62-ii.95251/#post-1088658

Last edited:
KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
looking to add SLEEK towers
You did not mention a subwoofer.

I'll stick by my recommendation of the Klipsch as an incredible deal on an excellent HT speaker.

I believe the Klipsch, with the dual 8" woofers, offer as much bass as you will get without a major increase in your budget.

However, they are substantial speakers and I don't know that sleek is the first term I'd associate with them.

When you said sleek, I thought of these Boston Acoustics towers at $380 each:

The problems are:
1) The bass is limited by the 5.25" woofers (not a problem with a good sub)
2) Good luck finding a matching center at a reasonable price (these are discounted by 70%)
3) I have never heard them, but respect BA enough to believe a speaker which they listed for $1250 apiece is going to be well built and sound pretty good.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/bosm350ba/boston-acoustics-m350-5.25-3-way-floorstanding-speaker-black-each/1.html#!specifications

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Those PSB Imagine T are nice, very high quality build and sound. And list at $2200 a pair. Also one like the KEF Q500 ($700 a pair right now) that still needs a subwoofer for movie use. The PSB Imagine X2T speaker at $1300 a pair would be the better value.

At least the Q series can be had in black, white or walnut.

K

Kyle0910

Audioholic Intern

Those are the definitive speakers I mentioned earlier. If you have a chance, stop by a magnolia store and take a listen. I'm selling for $600 ea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis