Tower Speaker question

A

AUDIOisLIFE

Enthusiast
I have 3 MTX AAL212 towers and was wondering if I was able to mount a plate amplifier like a Dayton Audio SPA500DSP 500W Subwoofer Plate Amplifier and make one tower a set of powered subs like my Klipsch 12 powered sub. would I need to buy speakers specifically for powered subs and would I need to customize the tower to get the right frequency and not mess with the midrange and horn? Or is it as simple as cutting a hole mounting the amp and plug an play!!!

20181001_170647[151].jpg
1538428084955.png

A

AUDIOisLIFE

Enthusiast
maybe im wrong but i think im in the wrong place for my questions! noticing a lot of post I see are from people with way more invested and more knowledge of "High End Brands" and where im a father of 4 just wonting to play loud! As I said in an earlier post I was a car audio guy, but with priority's coming 1st I now have a garage/man cave to do what I can with :{ so far i'm no where near what my car was! With all them speakers it made taking four kids to school not fun! But please let me know if im out of my league!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Post probably belongs in the DIY subforum if anywhere. I doubt it's worth the expense to try and make one of your speakers into a "sub". Just build a sub.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
If the speaker is bi-ampable, it probably wouldn't be a huge project to install a plate-amp just for the bass drivers if you know how to deal with the crossover circuit. If the speaker is not bi-ampable, I wouldn't try to re-engineer that speaker to use a plate-amp; it would be messy and wouldn't likely sound right afterward either.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
The other consideration, if there is a bi-wiring/bi-amp posts, is whether those two low freq drivers and cabinet could output bass as well as a designed powered sub.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Those MTX woofers have a published low frequency limit of 38 Hz and will never perform as a well designed subwoofer, either powered or passive. I don't consider 38Hz as a subwoofer frequency.

As already suggested by HD, I agree that the OP would be better off by building a sub. He can obtain guidance on a DIY website or from an online store such as Parts-Express.

67-79

67-79

Audioholic Intern
Ask a friend to buy an amp and do the install for you and if he charge nothing for the service, then it will maybe cost you 50$ approx. Many people have electronics and sell them on local ads for next to nothing.

Im currently shopping for a complete ultra high power complete sound system and tv with 2 x 12 inchs sub woofers for a big room. I decided to look for the latest stuff at amazon.com or wallmart.com or even best buy.ca , and it cost no more than 900$ up to 1100$
for a car audio system and home 12v power supply.

For a suggestion, buy a brand new digital car monobloc amp with a 12 volt power supply. It cost only 89$ for the new amp and 80$ for the 12 volts power supply and 25$ for the condensor. Some impressive brand I discovered yesterday was boss audio and the nice thing is that there is many other brand for the same price, infinity, kicker, pioneer, Rockford fosgate, pyramid, sound x stream, Rockville, All these brand utilize the latest digital circuitry that cost almost nothing to produce. Car audio is made using better technology because it is a tough market to compete in. Usually home audio is just beautiful looking furniture only and I decided to buy
car specification electronics. Look I have a home tv antenna that almost not work at all.. A lot of people buy mobile miniature cellphones with a small battery and receive and emit digital signals everywhere without problems.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis