tough choice??....or a clear winner?

R

REL

Audiophyte
just new to this room...have a question you may be able to help with....trying to make a choice between a NAD T752 receiver, and a Yamaha HTR 5790S....both can be had for the same money..actually the nad slightly less....are these units comparing apples to apples, or should i be looking elsewhere??...thanks in advance

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Yamaha 5790

I am not sure about the NAD you mentioned, but that Yamaha model is a couple years old. They have since come out with the 5890 and recently 5990. These models are nearly identical to the RX-V1500 and RX-V1600 respectively.

R

REL

Audiophyte
thanks for the reply....both these units are older models, and are to be purchased used, but with a warranty,...having trouble finding just how old they both are....I'm looking for a decent unit to go downstairs, prefering to spend my money on some good speakers and try to save a few bucks on the receiver. I have a H/K system upstairs which will get most of the use.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
5790. That NAD has two fatal flaws. One - it's a 5.1 unit. Two - it had a plethora of bugs and many units were returned. Do a google search for ratings, and you'll see all the issues people have encountered.

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Refurb HK

If you like HK, you should consider a refurb AVR-235 from the Harman Audio store on ebay. They sell for <$300, have a full HK warrantee, and have all the latest processing modes. I almost bought one of these, but I found a great deal on the Yamaha and picked it up. All they added to the new model (AVR-240) was an Ipod port.

R

REL

Audiophyte
keep the replys coming...and thanks!!

thanks for the input folks....in response, it will only be used for 5.1, so that flaw i can live with, the other flaw mentioned i have read a little about, but have been told by the seller that this unit has NAD software upgrades??and some form of refurb warranty?/..is that the problem most encounter, or is there even more??...that being said, side by side, how do they stack up performance wise.....not really caring about bells and whistles, just looking for a good clean crisp sound for movies, and probably average listening levels.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis