Totally confused with this. Please help

T

theone_2299

Audiophyte
I have a AIWA AV-D58 receiver and am very confused about some of the functions. Mainly just some questions I guess, cause I dont even know if what I want is possible.

I got it set up to play DTS for my dvd's that support DTS. But is DTS the only way that I can get sound out of all 5 speakers? The settings that I find have a few DSP's, and the ProLogic, but none that show an image on the display of all 5 speakers being used.

Is it even possible to listen to normal TV with all 5 speakers being used? I'd have to assume yes, because when football games start, it says that it supports 5.1 sound, so I figure it should use all five speakers, plus the sub. But all I can get is for it to use the front two, and have the same sound coming out of the two rear speakers.

This probably sounds retarded because I really dont' know that technology of these things, but I'm hoping an expert here can help me with this. I really just want to be able to have all the speakers be used when I watch TV and play XBox.

JoeE SP9

JoeE SP9

Senior Audioholic
You should get sound from all 5 speakers in all surround modes Dolby Digital, DTS and Dolby Pro Logicand whatever else you receiver supports. If you are not hearing what you think you should, get a sound level meter and set your receiver/speakers up according to your instruction manual. In my experience most newbies set the rear speakers to loud. A sound level meter will allow you to adjust the levels to Dolby reference levels properly. :cool:

L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
5.1 from TV

you can get 5.1 from your TV without a whole lot of trouble, if you run it right. If you are running cable, it gets complicated, but here goes...

if you have a HiFi VCR, you can run a broadcast TV signal from the VCR into your receiver. feed your rabbit ears into the VCR and then to the TV. then turn the volume on the TV down all the way. use the white and red outputs from the VCR to the receiver as Tape 1 or Tape 2, set the VCR to whatever channel you want to watch. The signal should come out on all 5 channels. Keep in mind that most football games only broadcast the fans in the surrounds, so you won;t hear it all the time.

if you have a stereo cable box, you can do the same.

T

theone_2299

Audiophyte
I get sound from them, but it just doesn't seem right. When I use DTS, when it's possible, the picture on the display actually has drawings of all five speakers. But when I use it for TV or dvd's that don't support DTS, it only have 3 speakers on the drawing in the display. Is this how it's suppose to be? Thanks for the help so far

L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
do you just have proLogic ? or do you have Dolby Digital as well ? if you don;t have Dolby Digital, you may not be picking up the signal for the rear speakers... since you are seeing 3 speakers (not just two) you are getting some sort of advanced signal, but you might not be able to process it all...

T

theone_2299

Audiophyte
if I look at the display, I can see where dolby digital would be lit up if it comes on. trouble is, i've never seen it come on. also, what is lfe, cause i see where that would lite up, but i dont know how to do that either

L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
lfe is low frequency effects.. it goes on with the subwoofer noises

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis