Total Newb, Looking for Home Theater Help

S

SkeptiKal

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>I currently have a 51&quot; Sony HDTV with a Panasonic DVD player that uses component cables.  The picture is great but the audio is lacking.  I have my TV and DVD player hooked up to a 4 speaker Stereo system that I use.

I have about 1000$ (not much to work with I know) CDN to spend and wanted to get the best possible audio that I can.  My criteria are 5.1 (digital, using optical cable) with a subwoofer or better and not over the stated limit.  I have heard that packaged deals that offer a reciever/speakers/player are not a good way to go so I kinda steered away from that.  

This doesn't have to be a Cinnaplex Odion audio system but just something that will be enjoyable to listen to in my basement.  The primary use for the system will be to watch movie and occasionally listen to music (hardly but still).

Thanks.</font>

ThA tRiXtA

ThA tRiXtA

Full Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>mmmm, a 1000 dollars will be a challenge, but anything is doable. but just to be sure, lets lay out everything you already have:

TV
4 Speakers
Component video cable
DVD player

You want / need to purchase:

Dolby Digital 5.1 Receiver
Optical cable
Subwoofer
(*If your going to purchase a sub, you need a sub cable)

A good *cheaper* upgrade you can do for yourself as well is upgrade your speaker wire to a better brand, 12 to 14 guage preferred.

When I mention cheaper, it won't be rock bottom priced, but not dear...

Let us know if this is what you need as listed above...

PS: What format of music do you listen to? Do you have the player for that? For example CD player?</font>

Rip Van Woofer

Rip Van Woofer

Audioholic General
<font color='#000000'>Here's my usual answer: get your hands on the recent Consumer Reports issues (I think it's available in Canada too) that dealt with audio and home theater. Take a look at their top rated and &quot;Best Buy&quot; recommendations and start from there. If you're happy with your current speakers, you're actually in pretty good shape even though you only have $1k Canadian!! In view of the ripoff electronics prices you pay there (see thread in the Steam Vent), can you get across the border to shop? It might help even with the stronger US buck.</font>

S

SkeptiKal

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>I suppose I could keep a couple of my speakers from my stereo, preferably for the rears (I guess the rears are least noticable). &nbsp;But yea I would need a reciever, sub woofer, and maybe a center and 2 side speakers, not to mention a reciever... cables I can get enough money for so they shouldnt be a problem getting.

Am I dreaming thinkin about getting a decent system with this much money?</font>

A. Vivaldi

A. Vivaldi

Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Buy Used. Check your local pawn shops. There's all kinds of idiots and drug addicts out there that practically give good stuff away to these places, for others to take advantage of. Buy any acsessories you may need from radio shack.</font>

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
<font color='#000000'>The bad part about a pawn shop is, the &quot;idiots and drug addicts&quot; most likely stole the merchandise from people like us! I DO NOT support pawn shops. They hurt the poor &amp; support the crooks!
</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
Rip Van Woofer

Rip Van Woofer

Audioholic General
<font color='#000000'>You don't have to go to a pawn shop to buy used. eBay and Audiogon.com have used gear. Good way to keep the cost down. It's not only drug addicts who dump good gear. There seems to be a sizeable subgroup of audiophiles who, as I am fond of saying, change gear like the rest of us change socks.

Since you are thinking of new speakers, consider foregoing the sub for now and getting the best main speakers you can afford. Get the sub later. Your main speakers really determine the overall sound quality of your system and good ones will give you more long-term satisfaction, and will have sufficient bass for 90% of the music. You'll only really miss the sub on dinosaur stomps and explosions!

With careful shopping, any number of surprisingly inexpensive speakers, whether new or used, can give good sound. Look back over the old threads here for suggestions.</font>

S

SkeptiKal

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>I was thinking of going with Panasonic SCHT900S 1-Disc Home Theater System. &nbsp;

Its in my budget and I read some reviews on it that seem to saying that its a good set.

For that kind of money that I would be paying for them, would I be able to get a better system piecing parts together?

It has a DVD player, Sub, and 5 speakers. &nbsp;

Let me know what you guys think. Should I still stay on the seperate piece route. &nbsp;I totally don't know where to look for certain speakers/subs/receiverrs that are good, so if you guys could make some suggestions on some that are good for their price please let me know.</font>

A. Vivaldi

A. Vivaldi

Audioholic
<font color='#000000'><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">It's not only drug addicts who dump good gear. There seems to be a sizeable subgroup of audiophiles who, as I am fond of saying, change gear like the rest of us change socks.
</td></tr></table> That would fall under the &quot;idiot&quot; catagory
</font>

A. Vivaldi

A. Vivaldi

Audioholic
<font color='#000000'><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>
zumbo : The bad part about a pawn shop is, the &quot;idiots and drug addicts&quot; most likely stole the merchandise from people like us! I DO NOT support pawn shops. They hurt the poor &amp; support the crooks!
You're right, I never really thought about it that way. Did you notice that pawn shops are always in the crummy areas of town?</font>

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis