Total Newb ? about speaker stands

Spiffyfast

Spiffyfast

Audioholic General
So I have a set of bookshelves that have been in a garage and hardly ever used. Finally looked up what I had bought and they are some pretty decent Yamaha Book shelves NS-A738, 3 way speaker 8" woofer, 4" midrange, and 3/4" tweeter. So I'm thinking of using these for rears in a surround setup and they are too big to be wall mounted, so I need to get stands. How does this work, to they just sit on the metal spikes on the stand? Is there a way to mount them to a stand so they are less likely to get knocked off? I've never used a speaker stand so I just dont know how they work. Is there any speceil features I should look for when buying one, I've noticed metal and wood, some are sand fillable?

Takeereasy

Takeereasy

Audioholic General
Cable management is also something to look for as several brands of stand allow you to run the speaker wire through a hollow tube in the center or outside of the stand eliminating it from view. If a stand is sand/shot fillable it is a nice feature to have as well because it adds a lower center of gravity making it hard to knock over those speakers at the frat parties you're going to be inviting me to ;) . Whether or not the stands need spikes depends on the flooring. Carpet flooring = spikes are ok. Hardwood or tile/concrete etc means having removable spikes or else "coasters" to put under the spikes would save you some scratches. Those spikes can be sharp, I know mine are. But mine came with some metal coaster to place the spikes on. You also need to watch the hight of the stands. You want them to be at a hight where they position the tweeter at ear level or a little above.

Also are you sure those speakers are too big to be wall mounted. I'm mounting some fair sized bookshelfs myself right now. What are thier measurements. B-Tech makes some awful nice heavy duty mounts that can support some hefty speakers.

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
I plan on making my own stands using a method suggested by MacManNM. I'll just be using some PVC pipe filled with concrete with PVC top and bottom plates, painted black.

Spiffyfast

Spiffyfast

Audioholic General
Takeereasy,

Dimensions Width = 10-1/2"
Height = 16-3/16"
Depth = 13"
Weight 14.4 lbs./each

Those are the demensions for the speakers, so yeah, some pretty beefy book shelves, thats why I bought them 2 or 3 years ago

Shadow_Ferret

Shadow_Ferret

Audioholic Chief
Not to hijack, but I'm considering stands for my rears too and I was wondering how do you attach the speakers? Will I have to drill holes in my speakers or are they glued on or what? thanks.

Takeereasy

Takeereasy

Audioholic General
Spiffy, mine are 8 x 15 1/4 x 11 15/16", and they weigh 15 lbs a piece. These are the bad boys I use with my surrounds. They are a little steep ($70 US) but they really work and can handle your speakers too (barely). I did a little review of them. They clamp to the side of the speakers so you dont have to drill in, although they do give that option as well.

Shadow_Ferret, it depends. The stands I use for my front speakers have nothing but non slip pads to keep the speaker in place. There are stands that clamp down and there are stands that allow you to drill in to the underneath of the speaker. There are also sticky products that you can use but you must be careful to ensure you get one that will leave no residue.

mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
jaxvon said:
I plan on making my own stands using a method suggested by MacManNM. I'll just be using some PVC pipe filled with concrete with PVC top and bottom plates, painted black.
.....OUTSTANDING.....

Spiffyfast

Spiffyfast

Audioholic General
Takeereasy said:
Spiffy, mine are 8 x 15 1/4 x 11 15/16", and they weigh 15 lbs a piece. These are the bad boys I use with my surrounds. They are a little steep ($70 US) but they really work and can handle your speakers too (barely). I did a little review of them. They clamp to the side of the speakers so you dont have to drill in, although they do give that option as well.
Those are definately some beefy wall mount stands, looking for floor stands though myself, concrete walls once I get to college and I've had too many d*mn fines for drilling into them to hang stuff on the walls

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
For $65, you really can't beat the medium mass stands from Parts Express. I've used them and I am curently using the high mass ones, which are already 26lbs each without filling. Talk about solid.

They don't look so exciting, or even that strong in their pictures, but let me tell you, even the med. mass stands are pretty hefty. I haven't found any better stands under $100. Part number 240-742.

Blu-tac works well, but even just some thick rubber foam tape can keep them from moving around too. If you need something more solid than that, screws may be necessary, but unless you have small children, it usually isn't a problem.

K

kiran_sham

Junior Audioholic
You get good pair of steel speaker stands at IKEA for about $25. It also allows you to adjust the height. The place where you mount the speaker has provision either to insert screws (you may have to drill holes in your speaker) or even use a super sticker that comes with the stands (sticks really hard).

But I screwed a round wooden disc (about 10 inches in diameter, that I bought from Home Depot for $4 a pair) on the top of the stand and then stuck my speakers to that using the stickers that come along with the stand. You could as well paint the disc with whatever color you need to match your room set up.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis