Toshiba Goes Nuclear

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Does this mean nuclear powered mono-block amps are around the corner? :rolleyes:

Now if only they would have introduced a nuclear HD-DVD player earlier.
Well then Al Qaeda would stop at every CE store and buy out the inventory, then KABOOOM!!!!! Radioactive DVDs and CDs flying all over the place.

nova

nova

Full Audioholic
The "real" Westinghouse Electric Co. has nothing at all to do with the vast majority of products that carry it's logo other than Licensing their name. WEC sold off just about all those things. Toshiba and WEC have nothing at all to do with Westinghouse Digital Electronics (flat panel, LCD TV',s etc. other than licensing). They do not share flat panel technology or anything else.

WEC is in the nuclear fuels business, period. If it is not nuclear, it IS NOT Westinghouse!

Halon451,

What's the US outlook in your opinion regarding new ("full size") nuke plants? How many and how soon? I love the thought of nuclear power and would welcome one in my home town if it were to cut my electricity bill in half.

I'm so used to the 30-year "nuke tech blackout" that the thought of adding new nuclear plants seem too good to be true.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
Does this mean nuclear powered mono-block amps are around the corner? :rolleyes:

Now if only they would have introduced a nuclear HD-DVD player earlier.
yes, but like Halon said ... only 10mw per block :(

Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
Halon451,

What's the US outlook in your opinion regarding new ("full size") nuke plants? How many and how soon? I love the thought of nuclear power and would welcome one in my home town if it were to cut my electricity bill in half.

I'm so used to the 30-year "nuke tech blackout" that the thought of adding new nuclear plants seem too good to be true.
Clint - in my opinion the US outlook is very favorable regarding the future of nuclear power. There is a plethora of new technologies in development as we speak, including the Generation IV reactors, which includes a wide variety of new concepts (VHTR - which has the added benefit of facilitating hydrogen production, Pebble Bed reactors, various gas-cooled, or molten salt cooled reactors, etc). All of these are being designed as "Full load" capable reactors, able to match the current line of nuke plants in the US with respect to total power generation ability. Of course, the standard (classified as Generations II and III - most Generation I plants have been decommissioned at this point) are being applied for, and approvals are beginning to come down the pipe. Just recently Florida received permission to construct two additional nuke plants in Levy county. We're talking new construction on existing sites here. The probability of a nuke plant landing in your home town is still probably minimal, due to a couple of things:

1.) It is much more cost effective and practical to build new reactors onto existing sites, as all of the infrastructure exists to support a nuclear reactor's operation. Most notably, cooling. Every nuclear power plant needs what is called an ultimate heat sink - usually a large body of water, or the large parabolic cooling towers that most people associate with nuclear plants. Also, support systems and existing ties to the electrical grid, supported turbine structures, generating ability and just about every other conceivable system that allows the reactor to actually produce electricity and supply it to the grid - it's already in place.
2.) The public - for those who have already lived under the shadow of a nuke plant for many years, it is far less of a political quagmire to get these new units approved, as there is much less resistance.

There has been an awful lot of chatter taking place amongst the nuclear community these days, and much of it revolving around the rise in new construction projects not seen since the seventies. Point being - the ball is already rolling on this one. It was set in motion a while ago, with barely a ripple in the public conscious. Some may say it's a way to ease back into the concept underneath a wary public opinion.

And that is my opinion... ;)

Here is a read you may find very interesting. This is a speech from the NRC Chairman Dale Klein:

http://www.nrc.gov/reading-rm/doc-collections/commission/speeches/2008/s-08-009.html

Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
yes, but like Halon said ... only 10mw per block :(
Hell, better get some serious speakers - 10 MW is small for a city, but 10 MW is an awful lot of power for an amplifier!! :D

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
Hell, better get some serious speakers - 10 MW is small for a city, but 10 MW is an awful lot of power for an amplifier!! :D
that doesn't really matter to the major :D he likes his monolocks

10MW is loose change for him. :p

It seems that building new plants over old doesn't raise much of the net nuclear power generation in the country... I'm hoping for entirely new plants in entirely new areas so we can have a large net increase of the percentage of nucelar power generation.

Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
It seems that building new plants over old doesn't raise much of the net nuclear power generation in the country... I'm hoping for entirely new plants in entirely new areas so we can have a large net increase of the percentage of nucelar power generation.
One step at a time, one step at a time... ;) It will have to happen eventually, but even constructing new units on existing sites represents a quantum leap forward in public/governmental thinking regarding the use of nuclear power.

T

Tubeman

Audiophyte
Audio Application For Toshiba's Nuclear Reactor.

At Last ! - a power supply big enough to power my Tube Amplifiers with all the energy needed to warm the house and more. With massive transmitter ceramic planar industrial triodes readily available biased in Audio Class A and maybe even with plate dissipations in excess of 10kw, or more, being readily available - the purist Hi end nutter can now guild the lilly of the ultimate SET Amplifiers with multi track tube sound. Or better still, bias up a pair of Industrial or Military power tubes for AB2 Heavy Metal applications. Imagine Pantera, Judas Priest or Rammstein at 50,000 watts RMS in your living room, driving the tube anodes cherry red as would be in rows of 833a triodes. Totally Insane !!! To run 50 kw of tube audio, you would need a 200kw nuclear reactor in the garage to power the system.

And if the reactor core burns out, or strikes out with with a high energy EMP pulse - your Tubes will still survive, where semiconductors Hifi systems will die. Even if you die, your tube amp will still run like new, being immune to any malignant radiation and high energy nuclear pulses, high voltage zapps and electrical abuse you might give your system. Now you can have an audio amp with power and audio pressure level capabilites exceeding that of most car engines and more reving out at their ultimate "sweet" spot. Effectively you would hae an audio engine driving massive pistons at audio rate. Just like a super charged drag car engine so too, a Super charged Audio Engine/Amplifier.

Tubes running off an independant nuclear reactor power supply in ones garage will allow you to run those massive plate voltages over 10 kv and above, despite those lethal gamma and x-rays being emmitted from the anodes anyway and in so doing, extend the Hifi arena to explore super high power amplifiers with out any damage to the environement.

Nuclear power and tubes go together like a hand in a glove. Rdaiation detectors generally have been vacuum tuibe devcices, because of the resistance to abusive Electro Magnetic , Gamma and High Voltage Pulses.

Both technologies ( Nuclear and Vacuum Tube ) are leathal power hungry systems which work together well.

Vacuum Tube Bass Amplifiers in excess of 50KW-100KW RMS will be "the norm" in the next generation of Literal Heavy Metal Audio Systems. To drive sub woofers with cone diameters ranging around 36"-48" inches or more, would require serious power outputs. Imaging 120+ DB at 10 hertz - inaudible frequencies that cause the heart to jump a beat or two. Output Transfomers so big you have to crane them in onto a concrete slab just like substation power transformers. This is lethal stuff for hifi.
You might even discover your neighbour's brown note in the process.

Presently this is all limited with what is readily available from one's wall socket and also what the electric supply will sell you.

In Australia at home, 2.4 KW is all you can have at a power point without special applications and house inlet line is limited to 80 amps (MAX) single phase at 240 volts.

But with a nuclear reactor in ones garage in the ordser of 200kw or so, the sky is the limit with one's power plant running your home where your not paying for the extra power used.

Even the most inefficient of Tube OTL designs would be able to be explored without environmental damage and still capable of delivering kilowatts of Hi end audio to your loud speakers, or any other acoustical transducer you so desire.

Crazy ? Probably I Am - but I envision a future not too far away, where Big Tube Amps like those I described above will become far more popular. Big is impressive and in today's environment 500 or more watts in one's car is "normal" and readily accepted. Wisth sound equipment and speakers, the bigger the better.

Cheers.
Kimbal Summers
Email> kimbalsummers@hotmail.com ( Queensland, Australia )

Last edited by a moderator:
Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
Quick question for you: Who's going to operate them? :)

Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
No, the real question was 'What's the freaking point?' :D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis